Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: If you were scouting the Quakers...        (Topic#55)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
11-24-04 03:13 PM - Post#249    

What do you make of this team? Are they the juggernaut that destroyed Quinnipiac and Drexel at home, or the cupcake that went to Providence and Wisconsin. Here is what I think we know so far:

1) This is a young emotional group. Prone to some big mood swings. They need to settle down a bit, but not too much. One banked 3 from Z was all it took to set them off.

2) They are as deep at forward as they are shallow in the backcourt. Teams that cannot matchup against the forwards are in trouble. Teams with a real clog-the-lane-demands a double-team center and a quality backcourt have an advantage. Penn MUST get some outside shooting from the forwards (Z? Fik? Heil?) to take the pressure off of Begs. Ibby should focus on beating guys off the dribble, if the 3 is there, fine, but not what he should be looking for. Defensively, Ibby is a major ballhawk and gets some blocks that are unreal from all angles. You can put him on anyone, but he is still learning the fine points. Oz, is having trouble staying in front of people. That is a matchup that can be exploited. If his shot does not come around, look for Kach (he is the real deal) to start taking minutes away, if not start outright once he learns to play D to Fran's satisfaction.

3) It may be an 8 man rotation now, but going to 10 would allow this team to run opponents off the court. That means Heil, Ebede, or maybe Whitehurst have to start inspiring some confidence. Memo to Fred: that wild flip into the lane last night did not help your cause. If last night told us anything, it is that these guys are more comfortable running than they are in half-court sets.

4) Last night was an aberration. 11-14 from 3?? outreboinding the opposition 47-26?? Do not count on that to happen much. Drexel just came unglued.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: If you were scouting the Quakers...
11-24-04 03:32 PM - Post#250    
    In response to Streamers

It's still early, but your comment about pressure on Begley triggered a thought about his shooting. A couple of guys at Penn have had nationally significant years shooting the 3 and then seen their percentages drop quite a bit as they became more of a focal point in the offense later in their careers (I'm thinking of Schiffner and Langel). It's very early, but thus far that hasn't been the case with Begley. I don't know if it says something about Begley, the scheme, or the preparation/talent of Quinnipiac and Drexel.

Anonymous 

11-24-04 03:48 PM - Post#251    
    In response to SomeGuy

At least three of Begley's threes last night came in transition before the defense had a chance to clamp down on him. If the Quakers can rebound and defend enough to run transition often Begley will be much harder to defend.

And if they start running enough to make it a comfortable (for Fran, that is) part of the offense, they should be able to continue running when Pettinella (the best of the forwards in the open floor) is in the game. Then Penn's frontcourt depth will become a bit more apparent.

Once Ibby, Kach and Whitehurst start throwing them down on the break, people will stop asking, "Can Ibby dunk?"

Buckeye Quake 
PhD Student

11-24-04 04:23 PM - Post#252    
    In response to

Wouldn't Whitehurst have to actually play in order for that to happen?

The Willow 
Masters Student

11-24-04 04:39 PM - Post#253    
    In response to

Quote:

Once Ibby, Kach and Whitehurst start throwing them down on the break, people will stop asking, "Can Ibby dunk?"

Can Kach dunk?

Quaker Fan 
maximus

Reg: 11-23-04
11-24-04 04:45 PM - Post#254    
    In response to The Willow

Kach - though he has not done it so far in a Penn game - is likely the best dunker in the Ivy league

Zelto35 

11-24-04 05:25 PM - Post#255    
    In response to Quaker Fan

Speaking of Kach dunking, I got a hold of the video of his H.S. Slam dunk competition if any one is interested. A friend of mine in NY had downloaded it off the net and sent it to me. I guess all of the other competitors conceded after the 360 and the backwards two handed slam (his head was close but I don't think he actually hit the rim)............pretty impressive........hope to see some of this at the Palestra.

Anonymous 

11-24-04 05:40 PM - Post#256    
    In response to Zelto35

Quote:

Speaking of Kach dunking, I got a hold of the video of his H.S. Slam dunk competition if any one is interested. A friend of mine in NY had downloaded it off the net and sent it to me. I guess all of the other competitors conceded after the 360 and the backwards two handed slam (his head was close but I don't think he actually hit the rim)............pretty impressive........hope to see some of this at the Palestra.

Speaking of which...after seeing Kach vs. Qunnipiac in the first game of the season, why don't you see if you can confirm through your video that the hoop he won the dunk contest on was 10 feet tall, not 9.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

11-24-04 05:45 PM - Post#257    
    In response to

I have seenthat footage - a bit shaky - but a 10 foot hoop for sure

After the game, many team mates and Fran all were surprised he missed - maybe if they do some ally oops passes to him you will see - I know no one will expect him to elevate and jam - it would be very fun

Anonymous 

11-24-04 05:57 PM - Post#258    

Well, we know Fran has that play in the playbook...although it may be a little dusty...the Maloney to Allen alley-oop. I know he used it for Chubb in the Davidson game at the Palestra a few years ago.

The Willow 
Masters Student

11-24-04 06:01 PM - Post#259    

Quote:

Kach - though he has not done it so far in a Penn game - is likely the best dunker in the Ivy league

I was being facetious... forgot it doesn't come across so easily in print.

Penn94... last time I remember seeing an alley-oop to Chubb, it went in. Poor Dave Klastky looked more surprised than I did.

seas2k4 
Junior

11-24-04 06:26 PM - Post#260    

Streamers:

Its a wonder what making some shots can do. Keeping in mind that PC and Wisconsin are top--25 caliber teams, and that both of those games on the road, I think that the Quakers are going to be a tough team to read all season, as the inconsistency on the offensive end will be an issue throughout.

That said, it makes it all the more important to get easy buckets, defend, and rebound. Begs' threes in transition were perfect examples of what happens when those three ingredients come together, and hopefully are a harbinger of things to come.

This team is not good enough to rely on the set offense to win... we must get easy points and work extremely hard on the defensive end. I think this could be a very good Ivy League team, and it will certainly be fun to watch.

-seas

Condor 
PhD Student

11-24-04 06:58 PM - Post#261    
    In response to seas2k4

Quote:

This team is not good enough to rely on the set offense to win

Is this really true? Based on the Q-Pac game, it would seem that our current set offense consists of dribbling around the perimeter, passing to the guy next to you until someone tries a 3 or passes to the interior, often with a TO. Couldn’t we be a little more creative with the offense to make these guys better? I am not suggesting I have the answer, or that the current set never be run. However, one definition for insanity is repeating the same behavior over and over again and expecting different results.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

11-29-04 02:54 PM - Post#262    

Quote:

Penn94... last time I remember seeing an alley-oop to Chubb, it went in. Poor Dave Klastky looked more surprised than I did.

Willow - it was the refs that were shocked - it was a more then 1/2 court shot that swished and the refs took like 3 or 4 mins to call it good - they looked like they went to the TVs to decide - but when NCAA refs can use the TV is a mystery to me...in any case it all worked out...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.252 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:43 PM