Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Well, I'm going to give the mulligan on this one        (Topic#550)
SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Well, I'm going to give the mulligan on this o
01-31-05 06:26 PM - Post#3002    
    In response to Bruno

Having a ridiculous shooting performance and hitting silly shots are very different things.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Well, I'm going to give the mulligan on this o
01-31-05 07:08 PM - Post#3003    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno: I think people are getting worked up over your choice of words & reading insult into it where none was intended. As a Penn die hard I agree 78% is ridiculous. But the thing is they were all good shots. It is true that Penn has had (and likely will have again this year) games where good shots didn't drop. Brown, despite the score, is a good team, very much better than Yale & the rematch in Providence will likely be tough. But if Penn plays consistently like it did against you and against St. Joe's, it is going to be extremely difficult for anyone else to win the title.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
You guys are NVTS
01-31-05 08:04 PM - Post#3004    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

If you get the reference, I'm impressed.

We just had a 20-some post thread. What was it about? Not about a reaction to a pretty gracious post about how well Penn played. Or about a post TO BROWN FANS to take a little of the ketchup off of the loss (i.e. the "mulligan").

It was about all of your Penn guys responding to the fact that you think the Brown guy, whose team just ADMITTEDLY got pummeled, wasn't complementary enough to your team. He was maybe just a little too - what? Upbeat? Still feeling like his team has a chance? Hm. Maybe you're right. Therefore, I'm changing my original statement.

You guys are the ones who are ridiculous. Get over this.

My original posts are below, and that second post was posted on the Brown board, to Brown fans that weren't at the game. My post to YOU, the Penn fans, was the first post. You tell me. You can see the "ridiculous", or you can see the overall message of what I actually wrote you. Jesus.

Nothing personal, but I am done posting on the Penn board. I'd forgotten what it could be like.

http://www.basketball-u.com/ubbthreads/s...amp;page=0#2916

http://www.basketball-u.com/ubbthreads/s...amp;page=0#2918
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: You guys are NVTS
01-31-05 08:10 PM - Post#3005    
    In response to Bruno

I guess this is just going to go in circles, but it seems to me that rather than admitting that Penn is simply a better team right now with more talent and weopons, you're looking for "excuses" as to why Penn won.

Penn is better. Period.

Be happy that you're 1-1, and hope you can be the team that gets some fluke performance and beat us in Providence.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Thank you. Exactly my point.
01-31-05 08:27 PM - Post#3006    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Thank you. I love this post.

So, your issue, then, is that I didn't properly proclaim that Penn is better than Brown. That I haven't yet conceded the season. You wanted the Brown guy to tell you're better, that you're #1, that you're the tops (the Colesseum, etc.) You just made clear that that's what you've been after this whole time.

And maybe I need to just take that as the compliment that it is. A few years ago, you probably didn't care what the Brown guy thought.

If it makes you feel any better, Penn sure looks like the better team right now to me. I mean that. (Is that what you were looking for?) But, no, I'm not ready to concede you the season, or even the game in Providence.

Anonymous 

01-31-05 08:29 PM - Post#3007    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno, you're being a little too quick to take offense. You did use the words "ridiculous" and "silly" and you did disparage the Penn defense by referring to all of the jumpers that Brown missed. Why do you expect that you are will be immune from criticism for making these remarks? cool down and have another beer!!

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
01-31-05 09:11 PM - Post#3008    
    In response to Bruno

Post something provocative on the Brown board. Get exactly the kind of reaction you should expect. Then announce you'll no longer post on the Penn board. Yeah, that's logical. And you're calling other people NVTS?

As if it matters where you post: anyone using "Active Topics" to review what's new on the site is going to see them anyway, even if they only enter the site through the "Ivy League" page. So it's not like you'll be denying us the pleasure of reading your wisdom and insights by avoiding the pages trimmed with red and blue.

Which reminds me - a comment for management: one of the weaknesses of the current setup is that it doesn't allow for selective crossposting. Which can lead somone who is link happy (I won't point any fingers, you know who they are) to launch repetitive threads on multiple boards, the contents of which are merely links to the same article. Not that the original post isn't usually repetitive by itself, since the article has already been linked by the newsfeed crawler in the "Wire" areas embedded within each team site. It's mildly annoying to click on "Active Topics" and see six new threads but no "new" content in any of them.

Anonymous 

Re: Thank you. Exactly my point.
02-01-05 12:09 AM - Post#3009    
    In response to Bruno

Hey, Bruno. I started this by questioning two things in your original post. One was the comment about Forte and the other was your statement that the Quakers "were hitting every shot they took, no matter how silly". The point was very simple -- there were no "silly" shots. Every shot they took was a good one and the majority of them were layups. Nothing more, nothing less. Where this thread has been taken by others is divergent from the original point, but your use of the word "silly" is what triggered my original question.

You're absolutely right that five years ago, Penn fans would not have been on this board and interested in your comments. In fact, you might not have been on here yourself! The fact that all of us are on here is a compliment to Miller and what he has done for your program. He's an excellent coach.

As I said above, I'm already worried about the game in Providence.

But it's pretty clear that Brown needs to tighten up its defense to win that game. If they give up the number of layups they yielded on Saturday, there are lots of teams that can beat them.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Re: Thank you. Exactly my point.
02-01-05 01:23 AM - Post#3010    
    In response to

It's clear we should have PM'd rather than posted.

Catch you in Providence.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.298 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:40 PM