Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lions hang on to beat Crimson, 57-55        (Topic#552)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
01-30-05 08:08 PM - Post#3024    

Harvard had a chance to tie at least with 1.9 seconds to go. Columbia had a 17-point lead at one time.
Preston 19 points, 10 RBs; Montgomery 8 RBs, Cuff 9 points on threes.
west coast fan

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Lions hang on to beat Crimson, 57-55
01-30-05 09:05 PM - Post#3025    
    In response to internetter

Yup, troubling game from the perspective of holding a lead. Columbia was up by nine at 55-46 I think, with maybe three minutes left, but the offense fell apart. Lions really need to work on their transition offense, which produced a bundle of missed layups (yes, Mack, I'm looking at you).

Havards run at the end of the game was basically Giovacchini getting SCORCHING hot, and hitting two 27-footers and a tough shot in the lane . Harvard closed to 56-55, and looked like they had a good chance, but after a lot of contact while they were on offense, a loose-ball foul was called on Stehle, and Mack hit one of the free-shots. Stehle was furious, and I think he had a point: there was contact, but I probably would have let it go. It would have been Columbia ball either way, though.

Harvard got the second rebound and called a TO with 1.8 left. They threw a baseball-pass to Cusworth that the refs somehow said went off a Columbia hand (didn't look like to to me) with .6 left. The inbounds play was an alley-oop/ tip to stehle, who juuuust missed it.

tough loss for harvard, though they played most of the 2nd half down 7-10 points. It was a hell of a run to get it close.

as for the rest of the game, the ball goes to Preston, who totally dominated the first half with 12 and 9 by the break! I was worried about how CU would match up with the harvard bigs, but preston basically dominated inside. He was just meaner than Cusworth or Stehle, and I think he had something to prove after Stehle dominated him last year. Cusworth probably fell down 10 times over the course of the game. I was not particularly impressed with him, though he did an ok job with the ball in his hands. I do see the potential, but he has to toughen up and work on his range a little. Of course, it could have just been a bad game.

It was good that preston came to play, because the other CU bigs got in foul trouble early on ticky-tack fouls, Kravic and Barrett being the main offenders. Big Ben played decent defense on Cusworth and had a huge this-is-my-house stuff of stehle (i think), but could not BUY a bucket at the other end. He reminds me of the CU center that played with austin and had all those blocks- I'm blanking on his name right now, which is killing me.

Columbia pressed a lot this game, and it was fairly successful. I haven't been a big fan of the press this year, but the combination of bad harvard guards and improved execution made it pretty worthwhile. I hope Jones tones it down for brown/yale, though if they continue to improve with it, the team is well designed for pressing/ 40 minutes of hell.

fans were pretty good for this one, with a packed house on a sunday. They got really into it after a string of bad calls against the lions in the early second half.

obviously, the downsides were the poor protecting of the lead in the second half and that our guards didnt really dominate the middle of the court. I'm really worried about this team playing against the upper half of the league with their experienced guards.

but a win is a win, and it seems like the young bench is coming along pretty well. Sweet had a pretty brutal game, with a number of mistakes, but Ben and Baumann but got a couple of competitive minutes aginst decent competition, which should help them.

This will be a tough road game for the lions at harvard. They play on that friday, which should work in the lions' favor. These both seem like they are second half teams, and columbia will need to get off to another good start to hold of the cantabs then.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
01-31-05 12:03 AM - Post#3026    
    In response to light blue heavy

upon checking the game transcript...

Lions did not score a field-goal after preston's layup with 7:25 left. very troubling.

Loscalzo had 7 assists to 4 turnovers. he'd better prepare for this upcoming weekend if he wants to succeed against Forte and Gamboa.

Cusworth and Stehle combined to shoot 2-12 from the floor.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

01-31-05 03:38 AM - Post#3027    
    In response to internetter

CU didn't shoot well, missed several crucial 1 and 1's late in the game, but hung on to win. Preston was a true lion, not only by scoring 19 and getting 10 boards, but by defending Stehle and, on several occasions, Cusworth with grit and determination and not fouling out. That was why we won.

Chuck 
Masters Student
Chuck
01-31-05 04:16 AM - Post#3028    
    In response to Dr. V

I thought today's win really epitomized what JJ has brought to the program. CU won, not because they had more talent or because they played terribly well. They won today with lots of heart... This is still a very flawed team and hardly brimming over with talent. Nonetheless, there's been a bushel of wins (two this weekend, remember two years ago??)...its great to see and it was great to see as many people at the game as there were. Its been so long since there was really anything to cheer about.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.427 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:46 AM