Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Preston on a mission...maybe from god?        (Topic#556)
Anonymous 

01-31-05 05:04 AM - Post#3059    

Great win for the young Lions...Matt Preston is on a mission maybe from god or just maybe to drag this team into a championship and a berth in the NCAA tournament. Preston is one lean mean fighting basketball machine!

I think the rest of the team needs a mission also and it may have to be accompanied with a size 15 boot in their collective ass by coach Jones. They are not playing at the same level of intensity and commitment as Preston.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Preston on a mission...maybe from god?
01-31-05 01:49 PM - Post#3060    
    In response to

agreed about Preston: he probably has the best motor in the league today (though I am anxious to see Venable again, he really has a similar grace for grit on the court). I also think Preston may have played himself onto the favorite for All-Ivy first team at the 4. The games against Penn and the rematch at Harvard will be telling.

Preston does have a habit of making everyone else on the team seem like they arent trying, but in general very few kids on the team quit on plays, mostly because Jones pulls them right away (though I didnt see the second Cornell game, and it sounded like there was some quitting).

In particular, Loscalzo seems to be the heir to the hard-working Preston (in case you havent noticed, I'm a huge fan of the kid) and Montgomery turns it on in clutch time and should be heir to the 'last shot' rights (though Preston's clutch wasnt in effect yesterday, missing the front end of that 1-and-1, and Montgomery missed the second with 2 seconds left. I was getting shades of that last second loss to harvard 2 years ago, when Wiedemann (thanks internetter) got a monster jam with 5 seconds left but was called for a questionable travelling, and Harvard won on a three. ugh. but I digress).

The only reason I can think that the team might not be working as hard this year is that a few other great motor guys are gone or have had their time reduced. AMac, Land, and especially Grzan see the floor rarely if at all, and they brought a TON of energy (though I personally wouldn't start playing them more now either). Murphy, though he wasnt the most talented guy on the floor, played with a lot of intensity. The team may look less hyper, but they commit fewer fouls, which was desparately needed.

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Preston on a mission...maybe from god?
01-31-05 05:55 PM - Post#3061    
    In response to light blue heavy

Different types of players on this team. It is increasingly looking like Montgomery will be the future star. He has an ability to create his own shot and take a defender off the first step. Then again, he's only been starting against the bottom feeders.

Don't forget that it was Montgomery's "hustle" play that led to the end of the Harvard possession and the very important FT with under 2 seconds to play. I think that Matt is great, but the whole team is playing hard.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.324 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:41 AM