Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Bill Simmons        (Topic#5713)
BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-29-07 10:20 PM - Post#34188    

Well, I guess any "press" is good press, but this sarcastic piece in this week's ESPN the magazine takes a few disses at us...More specifically, our attractive student body!

Face it, Simmons is just jealous that we have won two straight NCAA games over the past two years, while HC just got thumped.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070328&sportCat=ncb

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Re: Bill Simmons
03-30-07 12:24 AM - Post#34189    
    In response to BUFan

And he needs glasses, too.
http://bucknell.edu/x30084.xml

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
03-30-07 12:43 AM - Post#34190    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

I sent him hate mail...You should send him a nice piece of hate mail with that picture as well

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
03-30-07 12:44 AM - Post#34191    
    In response to BUFan

That said...If I were an HC fan, I would be even more pissed about his bogus thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I chuckled reading his article, but I think deep down he misses the point of what BU and HC stand for...And, at least in the case of BU and HC, the PL can compete with some of the big boys.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
03-30-07 12:49 AM - Post#34192    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

yeah... i guess ill have to get working on my great monograph 'bill simmons is a big fat genius' (or for you unfortuante conservatives, 'bill simmons is a big fat stupid white man'), now.

the patriot league might not win many national championships, but we do have the most attractive conference in the nation. no doubt in my mind.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
03-30-07 04:27 AM - Post#34193    
    In response to ericatbucknell

The whole Bill Simmons issue has been beaten to death over on the H.C. board. While I've stayed out of it, the one thing that really annoyed me was the mention in Simmons' blog last week referring to the 'putrid' Patriot League and commenting that the league didn't deserve an auto-bid to the NCAA tournament. That's simply incredibly ignorant considering that there were 14 conferences with lower RPIs than the Patriot League this year.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

BuckWild 

Reg: 03-21-06
03-30-07 09:59 AM - Post#34194    
    In response to BUPilot

The only reason I read the article was because it was about Holy Cross. I always thought his stuff has been bad. From the HC message bored it seems like the HC alums are worried about what people will think about the patriot league and Holy Cross in the midwest.
I don't really think they have anything to be worried about because casual sports fans won't even read the article and die hard sports fans from the midwest already think Simmons is a douche and one of those East coast bias writers anyways.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-30-07 10:33 AM - Post#34195    
    In response to BuckWild

I happen to enjoy Bill's writing, but there's one other factor you guys should keep in mind: this wasn't just a usual random article from espn.com, it is in ESPN the Magazine.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
03-30-07 11:07 AM - Post#34196    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Anyone consider that his tongue may be firmly planted in his cheek?

Shot Clock 
Masters Student

Loc: Arlington VA
Reg: 01-27-06
03-30-07 12:48 PM - Post#34197    
    In response to atlantabison

I agree with those on the HC board who say that it supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but even so, it isn't very humorous, and it certainly doesn't help the school or the League since as mentioned it is in the Mag. Frankly, I was put off a few weeks ago when he could only muster 2 negative sentences to say about the PL Final even though he hyped it in a previous column.

Bill Simmons has pretty much jumped the shark in the last few weeks anyhow. His attempts to pontificate on college hoops have fallen flat as it is painfully obvious that he knows next to nothing about Holy Cross or college hoops in general. It is clear that he would prefer it to be a more NBA-like game, and for god's sake, I hope that never happens. He should stick to writing about 'sports' I don't care about, which basically comes down to: the NBA (Celtics) and the Sawx/Yanks.
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

BuckWild 

Reg: 03-21-06
03-30-07 01:37 PM - Post#34198    
    In response to Shot Clock

He's definitely being sarcastic especially since his plan is so ridiculous.

Anonymous 

03-30-07 02:40 PM - Post#34199    
    In response to Shot Clock

This guy is a joker. He's completely missing the point that these kids are STUDENT athletes. For me, it's refreshing to see teams and schools that can compete at the D I level, while at the same time maintaining 100% graduation rates. The other pure basketball point is that Bill seems to forget that HC lost by 10 points to a Top 20/Sweet 16 team on a night when its 2 best players were terrible. If Simmons scores his season average, the Crusaders win.

GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
Reg: 01-22-06
03-31-07 01:40 PM - Post#34200    
    In response to

It's really an unfair way to cap-off what was a great season for the Cross. I get that his writing style is tongue-in-cheek, but discrediting his alma mater's hoops program (something he supposedly cares about) makes him a tool - pure and simple.

Mea culpa: Never liked the guy's writing to begin with - but I'm not a Boston fan

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
03-31-07 04:47 PM - Post#34201    
    In response to GoBison

I think the folks in the HC athletic department will turn down his request should he ever seek tickets or a press pass for a future HC game.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.209 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:22 AM