Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: 2008 Bracketology        (Topic#5750)
BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
Re: 2008 Bracketology
04-11-07 02:41 AM - Post#34464    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

I knew it hadn't been that many years since the last time Bucknell played the Quakers in basketball. Quite honestly, I was too lazy to go looking through old schedules to get the answer since to me the real question was whether there's an interest in resuming it.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
04-11-07 11:22 AM - Post#34465    
    In response to BUPilot

Have to say I agree with the Ivies who have expressed the idea that Amaker has not done a whole lot to warrant the conclusion that Harvard is a coming Ivy power. On the other hand, one could draw a comparison to RW at HC--BCS coach without a whole lot of success makes the transition to an academically oriented conference and finds success. Unlike Willard though, I am not sure Amaker "gets it." While he played at a fine academic institution, I have never been convinced that the Dukes and Stanfords of the world subjected their student athletes to the same academic standards that the rest of their student body must adhere to. (Duke's hoops grad rate is not so stellar). Just a long convoluted way of saying Amaker has yet to prove he can recruit real STUDENT athletes, which he will need to do to overtake Penn.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
04-11-07 12:01 PM - Post#34466    
    In response to bison63

Also, at least RW still had scholarships. Amaker won't. That's a BIG recruiting difference. Not to mention that Duke and Stanford basically throw their admissions standards out the window for athletes, and the Ivies (Patriot League as well) do not.

BuckWild 

Reg: 03-21-06
04-11-07 12:33 PM - Post#34467    

I wouldn't say that Stanford totally throws their standards our the window. I went to high school with a guy who got a full ride to Stanford for hoops. He started for the squad a couple of years. He wouldn't have gotten in without hoops, however he was fairly intelligent and did well in high school. He would have gone to a decent school without hoops. Makes me think that Stanford doesn't completely throw away academics. They also have a 92% grad rate for hoops players. I think ACC squads are the worst when it comes to disparity between its basketball players and its regular students.
Wake Forest 44% grad rate
Duke 58%
Georgia Tech 19% (all stats from 2005 report by UCF)
I think the Amaker could go either way. One would think that by taking the job he may have the right mindset going in. I'm sure he could have taken a job that paid more money and focused less on academics.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
04-11-07 02:49 PM - Post#34468    

Quote:

Also, at least RW still had scholarships. Amaker won't. That's a BIG recruiting difference. Not to mention that Duke and Stanford basically throw their admissions standards out the window for athletes, and the Ivies (Patriot League as well) do not.

Although Amaker will not have scholarships, all Harvard students whose parents make less than $60,000 now get a free ride, and those whose parents make up to $80,000 get significant aid. Thus Amaker effectively has scholarships when he goes after any player from a low-income or lower middle-class area.

True, the Ivys do not throw their standards completely out the window, but they definitely will compromise a lot for a good athlete. I know an athlete who got into Yale with an SAT below 1100 when the average was about 1500. Also, I don't know if any of it is true but I have heard several Ivy graduates complaining long and loud about the academics of some of Cornell's recent hoop recruits.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

04-11-07 03:40 PM - Post#34469    
    In response to Bison137

This brings up the other issue though. In general, the admissible athletes don't fall into this lowest income bracket.

As for the Stanford issue, they aren't as bad as the ACC. However, the fact that an intelligent guy got in doesn't prove that they throw academics out the window. It simply shows that there are kids out there with the athletic ability and respectable intelligence.

BuckWild 

Reg: 03-21-06
04-11-07 06:38 PM - Post#34470    

I was using the guy as anecdotal evidence, but their graduation rate as more of a factor in the type of athlete they get.

The Willow 
Masters Student

04-11-07 07:17 PM - Post#34471    
    In response to BUPilot

I for one would certainly love to see the series between Bucknell and Penn start up again. The past few years I always found myself rooting for Bucknell in the tourney as a Pennsylvania-based school with a decent academic standard... And rooting for Bucknell in a Hooters full of Arkansans in Dallas last year was extremely entertaining.

Quote:

I knew it hadn't been that many years since the last time Bucknell played the Quakers in basketball. Quite honestly, I was too lazy to go looking through old schedules to get the answer since to me the real question was whether there's an interest in resuming it.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.71 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:43 AM