Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Baaseball Championship 2        (Topic#5836)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
05-05-07 06:39 PM - Post#35060    

Brown wins first game 1-0, up 9-0 in the second of the second.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Brown wins its first Ivy championship!
05-05-07 10:39 PM - Post#35061    
    In response to Old Bear

As a baseball alum, I'm very proud of this outcome. Great, great job by Marek Drabinski. This was quite literally unthinkable when I played.

Devin Thomas hits a grand slam, breaks the Brown record for HR and RBI in a season, and should by all rights win the Player of the Year award for his performance both overall and in these end of the season and playoff games.

Jeff Dietz pitches a masterful game 1 complete game shutout, and knocks in the game's only run off Penn's Todd Roth through an incredibly "ballsy" tag on a short fly ball by the fastest player in the Ivies, Steve Daniels. Roth was almost as good - the freshman didn't have a ball hit hard off him all day, and Brown's a team whose batting average is over .320.

Game 2 was a blowout, with Senior James Cramphin picking up the win with 12 Ks in under 6 innings. Rob Papenhouse and Thomas hit early grand slams in the first two innings to put it out of reach early.

My only concern is Brown's month long layoff before playing its first round game. I'm sure Drabinski will look to reschedule some of those games that were cancelled earlier in the season (Maine, for example), but I don't know how many teams in the Northeast will be willing to play exhibition games in late May. (Does anyone know how that works, by the way? I know last year Princeton somehow played Lehigh in late May, weeks after I'd expect both of their seasons to have been over.)

Either way - I'm very psyched. Great job Brown Bears!
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: Brown wins its first Ivy championship!
05-06-07 03:48 AM - Post#35062    
    In response to Bruno

Congratulations to Brown.
Patriot League has its tournament next weekend.
Army-Navy in 2 vs. 3 elimination game with the winner playing Lafayette in a best of three.
The champion probably will be looking to play a few games before the NCAA. Princeton and Lehigh played last year after both clinched bids.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: Brown wins its first Ivy championship!
05-06-07 04:05 AM - Post#35063    
    In response to Brian Martin

For what it's worth, here is the baseball equivalent of Bracketology: http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=669173

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.181 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:37 AM