Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Good god...What happened tonight against Yale?????        (Topic#590)
Anonymous 

02-05-05 01:13 AM - Post#3273    

Just got off of gametracker and the game was a horror show!

How many fouls and missed 3 ponters were there?

Have not had time to analysze the problems but they seemed to be outrun by Yale at every turn. Lots of mistakes by the team and little in the way of consistent shooting.

They need to regroup fast. What a lost opportunity both Brown and Princeton got beat tonight..ugggggghhhhh!!!!!

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Good god...What happened tonight against Yale?????
02-05-05 02:26 AM - Post#3274    
    In response to

We shot poorly, missed free throws. Perhaps a little over-eager.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Good god...What happened tonight against Yale?
02-05-05 04:05 PM - Post#3275    
    In response to Dr. V

espn recap basically says it all: Closing run in the first half put Yale up by eight at the half, and the Lions couldn't close it.

Basically, Yale played a little bit faster than CU did, and Columbia kept on shooting themselves in the foot. There were at least three passes that went out of bounds because the intended recipient wasnt looking.

Yale basically outplayed columbia. slightly, but definately. Columbia was in it near the end, with one of Cuff's 3's all the way down, then popping back up. That would have made it a 5 point game late, with Columbia on a mini-run.

Yale did an especially good job limiting Preston's touches. Yes, he still finished with 17, but he was bascially double-teamed off the ball the entire first half, and fouled out with three minutes left. This really got the lions out of sync, and the offense wasnt really running well. Credit Preston for not forcing the action on the offensive side: he ends with 5 turnovers, but at least two of those were on outlet passes after defensive rebounds. If anything, they were partially JB and (I think) Tito's fault. Though Matt des have to be more careful. I think Preston plays better against bigger opponents: having a small guy come on the double was tough for him in the first half.

Yale basically was able to do this constant double-teaming because they were confident that nobody could penetrate against their guards, which was correct. I think I only saw three or four decent drives from the Lions all game.

Defensively, the Lions did an ok job. This was easily their best press of the year. Most of that was because they decided not to run it when Gamboa was in most of the time, which worked well.

However, this game, in my mind, will be remembered as one with a LOT of funny bounces. Seriously: though I doubt it affected the outcome, there were two Yale and one columbia shot that hit the rim, went straight up in the air, and fell through. Also, three went up on the backboard and almost hit the shot clock. and the number of 3's that went in and out was notable, to say the least.

Last thing: in terms of frosh, both Flato and Holmes played really well. I was particularly impressed with Flato. Watching him and Loscalzo go up against one another will be great for the next couple of years, though I'd say Flato is more of a 2. I don't know if Holmes outplayed Montgomery for the little time they were matched up, but the stats point to him having the better game, for sure.

YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
Re: Good god...What happened tonight against Yale?
02-05-05 06:16 PM - Post#3276    
    In response to light blue heavy

I think, when the Ivy season concludes, that Yale's tougher non-league schedule (and ridiculous road schedule) will help keep them in the hunt because they have played as brutal a schedule as exist in D-1 this year.

That said, Columbia is a feisty team that has played a somewhat softer schedule and won the games it was supposed to win. No knock against Joe Jones and the great job he has done this year. The bottom line is that Yale is playing like it cannot lose another game in the Ivies.

Probably Yale's best all around game of the season.

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
how much cake can you eat?
02-06-05 04:38 PM - Post#3277    
    In response to YaleEli

But by the same token, if Yale hadn't been worn out by such a tough non-league schedule, they might have been fresher and not lost so many double-OT games.

Realistically, I think we all make too much of how tough a team's schedule is. If Columbia wins two more games, they will have their first overall winning record since 1990-91 (I think), and that by itself justifies their steady diet of cupcakes. Learning how to win and shedding Columbia's loser image was a key goal, and if they don't collapse completely from here on, they will have accomplished it. If they play an equally wimpy schedule next year, I'll be disappointed, but this year, it was just what they needed. I think the poise they've shown at the end of close games (even last night's, which they lost) is a result of having played teams they can beat. Now if they could only learn to hold onto a lead . . .

YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
Re: how much cake can you eat?
02-07-05 06:07 PM - Post#3278    
    In response to The Lion King

Well said!

Personally, while a tough non-league schedule certainly helps the RPI in the short-term, winning games certainly cures most ailmnents (i.e., losing). However, when you face very little adversity prior to entering the Ivy League season, you tend to tighten up during crunch time when you have not faced much of that during the "softer" portion of your schedule.

Every program has a different approach. I think Columbia's approach this year made sense since their winning ways have become contagious on your campus (similar to the 2001-2002 season at Yale). Hopefully, Joe Jones can continue the improvement going forward since I would like to see a new era in Ivy League Basketball (although not at the expense of the Elis).

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.168 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:06 AM