Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: New respect for JTIII        (Topic#593)
TigerDave 
goober

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Perspective on Scott
02-08-05 03:28 PM - Post#3323    
    In response to Rob

Well, if you have concluded from watching home games that Scott's behavior is unprofessional and unethical, then you should express this to Walters or whomever you think appropriate. Personally, as someone who has attended every home game except one and sits very near to the bench, I don't know how anyone concludes this merely from watching home games. I have attended games with many of the same people for many years (many of them on the faculty or staff of PU) and none of them has drawn such a conclusion.

As I've said, it is one thing to think he yells too much or is too critical. It is another thing to allege "abuse" to the level that it requires disciplinary action or his dismissal. These kinds of serious allegations I do believe are "irresponsible" in that they demand a higher standard of evidence due to what is at stake.

Quote:

TigerDave, Gary Walters has been watching the same home games I have, two sections over, and he presumably hears or reads what Scott says to the press. So what would you have me forward to him?

And what is "irresponsible" about commenting on what thousands have also seen? I am not discussing rumor or inuendo, just what is in plain sight.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
02-08-05 03:31 PM - Post#3324    
    In response to TigerDave

What do a few players leaving over the JTIII years, most due to lack of playing time, have to do with this Princeton team starting the Ivy season 1-3 with 4 seniors, including 2 All-Ivy first-teamers, returning from a 13-1 champion?

What does Scott's publicly humiliating and blaming his players have to do with JTIII's treatment of any of the players you cited?

If you want to defend Scott, defend him. Comparing him to JTIII is hurting your case.

Rob 
maximus

02-08-05 04:05 PM - Post#3325    
    In response to TigerDave

I certainly haven't said anything about dismissal or disciplinary action. Where did you get that red herring?

TigerDave 
goober

02-08-05 05:21 PM - Post#3326    
    In response to Brian Martin

If you read my previous post carefully, you will see that I was making a point about coaching transitions and the problems they sometimes create with players. I gave a list of a number of players who left the program for some reason under JT3. Believe when I say I'm a big fan of JT3 and was sad to see him go. I'm not attacking him in any way. It is just a matter of fact that there can be difficulties when there are coaching transitions. This may have to do with differences in style, with decisions by different coaches on PT, with regard to player expectations based on recruiting or on the previous coach's choices, etc.

Quote:

What do a few players leaving over the JTIII years, most due to lack of playing time, have to do with this Princeton team starting the Ivy season 1-3 with 4 seniors, including 2 All-Ivy first-teamers, returning from a 13-1 champion?

What does Scott's publicly humiliating and blaming his players have to do with JTIII's treatment of any of the players you cited?

If you want to defend Scott, defend him. Comparing him to JTIII is hurting your case.

TigerDave 
goober

02-08-05 05:40 PM - Post#3327    
    In response to Rob

It has been alleged by you in a previous post that Scott "brutalizes" his players. It has been alleged by others that Scott is abusive to his players. It has also been alleged that his behavior is worse than Bobby Knight's. It has been alleged that the President of PU is "beside herself" over his conduct. If these things are true, would it not require that Scott be disciplined or dismissed?

Again, to repeat myself, I think it is irresponsible to make public allegations of serious misconduct (which in my book would include brutality, abuse, or Bobby Knight-like behavior) without being very, very certain. This is a man's career and livelihood that we are talking about.

Quote:

I certainly haven't said anything about dismissal or disciplinary action. Where did you get that red herring?

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.325 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:15 AM