Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell Topperts Brown        (Topic#595)
stump 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-23-05
02-05-05 02:09 AM - Post#3334    

You gotta love it when your senior comes off the bench to have a huge game and win it for you. Toppert was great because he got his points without taking bad shots. I almost died when he missed that layup at the end, and then Naeve missed it too. But Toppert's hustle won the game.

And Graham Dow is one tough mother. He continues to play well. Those two layups in the first half, blowing past 40, were inspiring.

Good crowd tonight, probably 2000 or so. Won't be so many against Yale tomorrow night because men's hockey is at home. Will there be a letdown? Probably so. But maybe the guys who were quieter tonight--Will Scott, Ryan Rourke--can step it up.

Bob S. 

Loc: New York
Reg: 11-26-04
Re: Cornell Topperts Brown
02-05-05 02:38 AM - Post#3335    
    In response to stump

It looked ugly for much of the first half but Graham Dow and Lenny Collins provided a great spark to get them back into the game with some clutch shooting. The rotation continues to work for Donahue with Naeve, Scott, and Toppert providing clutch play off the bench. Jason Forte, the Brown guard can play, though-his guard play was some of the best I have seen in the Ivies since Matt Maloney and Jerome Allen were hooping it up for Penn. He was literally unstoppable tonight.

CUJacob 
Senior

Reg: 12-05-04
awesome
02-05-05 05:25 AM - Post#3336    
    In response to stump

what a great college basketball game. Forte was awesome (though i felt he got some superstar treatment from the reft... 17 FTs attempted). Toppert and Collins stepped up big- the first time I've seen Toppert really shine down the stretch.

I am a huge Andrew Naeve fan- that guy hustles like there is no tommorrow and gets so fired up when he scores. I think he will be ready for the tough task of replacing ET as a starter next year.

I've also become a big Graham Dow fan- he leaves it on the floor and came back from the hard fall to play another great all around floor game.

This win won't mean much Ivy Title-wise if CU can't take Yale tomorrow, but it meant a lot for CU fans who remember the gut-wrenching home losses last year to Pton, H, B and Y. Finally, the Red pulled one out.

awesome.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: awesome
02-05-05 01:59 PM - Post#3337    
    In response to CUJacob

If I were a Cornell fan I might throw that one back. That foul call with 3 seconds left was outrageous!

CUSequence 
Freshman

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 12-06-04
Re: awesome
02-05-05 02:14 PM - Post#3338    
    In response to Old Bear

If the game was as good as it seemed at the end from here, the officiating is probably just as bad as usual. We can all agree the refs are always terrible, and usually are one-sided against Cornell at Newman...in this case, a win is a win, and a nice one to pull out. Nice to see Dow stepping up, and starting to feel good about the next years of the program.

CUJacob 
Senior

Reg: 12-05-04
bitter?
02-05-05 02:43 PM - Post#3339    
    In response to Old Bear

come on, man... Forte got more calls than Kobe Bryant at the Staples Center. Yeah, it was a bit of a fortunate call for CU at the end, but overall if anything the officiating was pro-Brown. I sense some bitterness on the Old Bear's part.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: bitter?
02-05-05 02:52 PM - Post#3340    
    In response to CUJacob

Having not seen the play, I cannot comment on it specifically. But it is the sort of thing we see all too often in college basketball (Temple was the beneficiary of this against both Penn and Princeton this year)---home team gets sent to the line on a gift at the end of the game with the game on the line. I almost never see this going to a visiting team. IF Toppert got the call on a scrum going for a rebound, that is almost per se a bad call. Nonetheless, if Brown is the team it thinks it is, it cannot let the game go down to that point.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
02-05-05 03:26 PM - Post#3341    
    In response to palestra38

I agree with P38 - on a number of counts. Was the foul questionable? Yeah, it was. I don't think if you're a ref you allow the game to be decided on a loose ball play like that where foul isn't clear.

However, these are the same refs that helped put Forte at the line a Cornell-record 17 times. And the point is - it wasn't as if Cornell didn't deserve to win the game. They were right in it, and did the things they needed to do to win. Toppert, in hitting those two monster FT's, did get the job done. So, while I agree the refs shouldn't have made that call, at some point, you've got to just tip your hat. Great win for Cornell.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-05-05 04:24 PM - Post#3342    
    In response to palestra38

Bitter? Maybe. I agree that Forte may have gotten the benefit of some earlier calls, and that Brown should have not let it come to where a bad call could be the difference maker. But there's no excuse for making that call, on that play, with 3.5 secs. to go.

Anonymous 

02-05-05 04:25 PM - Post#3343    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno, you may be the classiest fan on this board. Why don't you move to Philadelphia?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.175 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:06 PM