Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Bye Bye Title        (Topic#599)
TigerDave 
goober

Reg: 11-21-04
02-05-05 02:16 PM - Post#3363    

Well, I think we can safely bid the Ivy title adieu. It's not that it is technically impossible for Princeton to recover, it is just that they don't look anywhere near ready to contend at this point.

I think I am also ready to retract everything I said about this team "knowing how to win." These two losses in the league show that if they once knew, they have now forgotten.

While I can't join the Joe Scott lynch mob after 3 league games in his first season, I am beginning to have doubts. Not because of his "style," but more because of the way he seems to have botched the transition from JT3. I'm not sure it was best to totally revamp the team's defensive scheme and style of play in just one year. It seems to me that changes needed to happen a bit more gradually.

While Scott should shoulder much of the blame for this disastrous start, I don't think the players are devoid of responsibility, especially the seniors. Last night, it was the veteran players that apparently made some big mistakes - lane violations, missed free throws, turnovers, missed shots. Despite what their feelings about Scott may be, they should be mature and experienced enough to put them aside and step up for their teammates and their fans.

Finally, while I think it is fine and justified to criticize Joe Scott for what has happened, I would urge some restraint and patience. I don't think he is the monster some have portrayed him to be. By all accounts, he was loved by his players at Air Force and he did do wonders for that program. I'm still holding out hope that he will do the same at Princeton. That being said, I am very, very unhappy and my patience will along last so long.

Rob 
maximus

Re: Bye Bye Title
02-05-05 02:30 PM - Post#3364    
    In response to TigerDave

I agree with much of what you say, but Logan and Wallace are playing through considerable pain for the team. I am not about to hammer them for last night, or anything.

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
If my memory is correct
02-06-05 05:09 AM - Post#3365    
    In response to Rob

It seems to me that Princeton's outside shooting has been below par for the past three years. The "Princeton Offense" relies on the three-pointer to open up the inside for the back-door cuts.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: If my memory is correct
02-06-05 06:28 AM - Post#3366    
    In response to Redfish

Quote:

It seems to me that Princeton's outside shooting has been below par for the past three years. The "Princeton Offense" relies on the three-pointer to open up the inside for the back-door cuts.

And yet, if my memory is correct, Princeton was 13-1 Ivy Champs last season.

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
02-06-05 07:02 AM - Post#3367    
    In response to Brian Martin

Quote:

Princeton was 13-1 Ivy Champs last season.

That is why that three year span stands out in my mind. Penn won the title in 2002-2003 with a definitely superior team, but I thought Princeton should have blown everyone away in 2003-2004 - many of their wins were much closer due to poor shooting. This year, with some player losses, they have these absolutely mind-boggling defeats against teams that you don't envision even an "average" Princeton team losing to.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-10-05 04:29 PM - Post#3368    
    In response to Redfish

Overall, 3PT % has been down the past few years, but in League play this year it has been around 40%. The poor shooting has been occured mostly against non-conference opponents and has been visible on televised games, but 40% should not be hurting League play.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.307 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:53 AM