Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: A well deserved loss tonight to the Brown Bears        (Topic#607)
BigDog 

Reg: 01-22-05
02-06-05 01:03 AM - Post#3414    

I listened to the game on the radio. What a disappointing loss.

OK, here it goes....what the f***k are they doing taking as many 3 point shots as they have been taking? The Yale game last night was a lead in to this game and it seems they learned nothing. Coach Jones has got to get them to go inside more. The outside shooting is inconsistent at best and you get players that should not be taking the shots...Matt Land or Loscalzo when he is pressured.

This obsession with the shot beyond the arc has killed them in several games, Cornell and Hofstra are others that come to mind.

They need to push it inside and start to hit the boards and then kick it outside. But that is sloww work and hard work and they got used to some easy wins. So far this weekend that methodolgy is blowing up in their faces. The coaching staff is going to have to reevaluate the green light on the easy 3 pointer and put a stop to it.

I know...If they hit the outside shot they can very well destroy teams, I'll give you that but so far it has destoyed the Lions.

So, when it works it is great but they do not have the high percentage 3 point shooters to pull it off consistently.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: A well deserved loss tonight to the Brown Bears
02-06-05 02:26 AM - Post#3415    
    In response to BigDog

I was at the game. We lost because we got stagnant on offense in the second half and missed free throws; you have to be a very good team to get away with missing free throws; we're not that team. Also, we shot 3's not because that was anyone's preference but because the only guy who can work inside is Preston, and he was double/triple teamed.

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: A well deserved loss tonight to the Brown Bear
02-06-05 04:30 PM - Post#3416    
    In response to Dr. V

Yes, it was the same story as in the Yale game: The opponents collapsed on Preston and dared Columbia to take advantage. The good news, as I see it, is that Columbia was 4-23 on three-pointers, and they still had a chance to win on Boswell's last-second three-pointer, which rolled around and out. They won't shoot that badly very often.

The bad news is that the schedule gets harder from here on, with mostly road games plus home games against the P's (though the second P is suddenly looking much less fierce--could Princeton at Levien be their best chance for a win the rest of the year?).

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: A well deserved loss tonight to the Brown Bear
02-06-05 09:17 PM - Post#3417    
    In response to The Lion King

wow. how quickly the season has turned around. For everyone, really.

The second half was brutal. I can't really explain it. Last year, the team shot really well from 3. This year, they really aren't shooting as well, though they are getting a fair number of good looks.

The problem is that there really isnt anyone on the team who can dribble/penetrate well. Loscalzo has been a fantastic surprise, but he's no slasher. Kashif has been hitting a wall recently, and though he'll get better, he needs time.

Columbia gets bogged down because no one can get to the hoop. Tito has a reasonably quick first step, but he gets out of control quickly and makes too many bad decisions at full speed. Mack is going to the hoop more than he was earlier, but it just isnt falling for him.

As a result, the team ends up passing the ball around the perimeter all game, running down the shot clock. I feel like the defense is decent, but they just dont have a real stopper play or player that can get them 2 or get them to the line. Other defenses are learning that they need to but someone smaller and quicker of Preston or else he'll eat up the inside.

The only other thing I have to say about the game is that Montgomery and Becker looked like twins out there. Same uniform number, same hair, and they were guarding each other. really weird.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.184 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:16 AM