Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Van Nest to Harvard        (Topic#6278)
hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
10-27-07 03:17 PM - Post#37591    

From New England Recruiting Report 10/27

Recruiting News
NMH Forward Harvard Bound
October 27th, 2007
NewEnglandRecruitingReport.com
Andrew Van Nest has given Harvard University and their new Head Coach Tommy Amaker a verbal commitment.
It was a combination of factors that led Andrew Van Nest to decide to attend Harvard University, and ultimately it was just too good of an opportunity to turn down.

“The education, the city feel on the campus, what Coach Amaker is trying to do, it was all just too good to pass up,” said the 6’10” forward.

Not only will the big man have the opportunity to receive his education from one of the top academic institutions anywhere in the world, but he also gets to play his college basketball about 20 minutes from his home is Weston, Massachusetts while still enjoying all that a city like Boston has to offer. Ultimately though, all that might not have mattered without Tommy Amaker and his lofty ambitions for the Harvard program.

“Having a chance to help Harvard win their first Ivy League championship is an amazing opportunity,” said Van Nest.

Van Nest’s addition is a major step towards those championship aspirations as his combination of size and skill was enough to warrant recruiting attention from countless schools including virtually every program in the Ivy League. At 6’10” his biggest attribute is his ability to stretch opposing defenses with his long range shooting ability, although he also has excellent footwork and an equally soft touch when he chooses to play with his back to the basket.

And while the talented big man is clearly eager to official join the Crimson program, leaving Northfield Mount Hermon at the year’s end will likely be bitter sweet for him, as he is quick to credit his school and coaching staff for his success.

“NMH has made me grow as a player and a person. I got all the looks I wanted from college coaches and really owe my future college experiences to the help that Coach Carroll, Bill Batty, and everyone at NMH has provided me with,” he said. “Plus with myself and Dan McGeary (NMH alum) we have a little bit of an NMH connection going on at Harvard.”

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Van Nest to Harvard
10-30-07 04:52 PM - Post#37592    
    In response to hoopsfan

I wonder what the feeling is going to be like surrounding the team this year. Obviously, they're still miles more talented than they were in 2003-2004, but the parallels are there. End of a long run of above average expectations that went unfulfilled with high hopes on the horizon. Again, the talent is there to keep this team from losing 20 games, and I'm not saying it will get as bad as it did in 03-04, but it's hard to gauge where the mindset will be, given all the hype is surrounding a season that's over 365 days from tipping.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Van Nest to Harvard
10-30-07 06:37 PM - Post#37593    
    In response to mrjames

I would guess that the team gets an emotional lift from having a new coach that keeps them from having a truly bad season. If anything, the growing pains probably come when you've got new guys coming in to compete with the established players who've been starting a while.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.441 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:52 AM