Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: I'll Make You All a Deal. . .        (Topic#644)
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-09-05 04:03 AM - Post#3634    

We will never speak of this day again, if you all never mention the World's Greatest Footnote (tm) again (that would be also known as Black Tuesday).

Fair enough?
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: I'll Make You All a Deal. . .
02-09-05 05:44 AM - Post#3635    
    In response to dperry

Mention it all you want, this game pales compared to Black Tuesday, for whatever pittance that is worth. Choking a big lead on the road is not nearly the same as choking a big lead at home.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
02-09-05 06:57 AM - Post#3636    
    In response to umbrellaman

So, to be fair and balanced, I offer this topic for discussion.

I was asked by some 20-something Penn employess whether I (I guess I am now the old timer) thought this was the best ever Penn victory over Princeton. In my opinion it is no better than third place on my list. What did I vote as first and second place?

Similarly, I invite Princeton fans to nominate their best ever victory over Penn. Would it be 50-49 or some other choice?

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
This one's gotta be demoralizing
02-09-05 07:06 AM - Post#3637    

blowing yet another lead - and now the season already appears to be over.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
02-09-05 10:35 AM - Post#3638    
    In response to Stuart Suss

One of them has to be 1970. Corky Calhoun jumper at the buzzer sends it into overtime and the Quakers win it in OT. League credibility was ours for the first time in a while.

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Reg: 11-22-04
02-09-05 02:25 PM - Post#3639    

Plus, the fact is, Princeton came in as a last place team. Penn needed overtime to beat a last-place team.

mshimmy 
Sophomore
mshimmy
Loc: Miami, FL
Reg: 11-22-04
02-09-05 06:46 PM - Post#3640    
    In response to columbia92

Doesn't that make it worse? Having the loss virtually eliminate you rather than having it be a rallying cry towards the title?
"Our team will win our next 10 games in a row. I know that." Judson Wallace, February 8, 2005 http://www.letsgoquakers.com/02082005PrincetonatPenn.mpg

Anonymous 

02-09-05 11:53 PM - Post#3641    
    In response to columbia92

Yes, C92, I'm sure that everyone on the Princeton campus is smiling about the team's ability to take Penn into overtime.

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
02-10-05 12:51 AM - Post#3642    
    In response to

I don't think being in last place is the crucial issue. Last night Princeton played a fantastic game. They hardly missed a shot in the first half and their defense was great.
Coming out with the win was a big deal and shouldn't be minimized nor should Princeton's effort. Cheers to both teams.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
02-10-05 03:13 AM - Post#3643    
    In response to TomPittsburgh

As bad as Black Tuesday seemed at the time it was basically a fluke. Penn shook it off and won the League title. Princeton was already heading into the dumper before Tuesday night's game-- this was much worse for Princeton than Black Tuesday was for Penn. I have to believe that people are starting to wonder how long Joe Scott is going to last at Princeton. On the other hand, Black Tuesday didn't affect Dunphy's job security in the least.

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
02-10-05 05:28 AM - Post#3644    
    In response to Red n Blue

This is just half of a season, and you guys are already talking about firing Joe Scott???

Anonymous 

02-10-05 02:38 PM - Post#3645    
    In response to Red n Blue

Quote:

I have to believe that people are starting to wonder how long Joe Scott is going to last at Princeton. On the other hand, Black Tuesday didn't affect Dunphy's job security in the least.

That isn't fair and you know it. Scott is in his first year and has yet to accomplish anything as a coach at Princeton. In 1999 Dunphy was in -- what, his 10th year? -- at Penn and had four Ivy titles to his credit.

It was a bad loss, yes, but given the way Princeton crumbled at Dartmouth and Harvard just days before and the way Penn had rolled through the league to that point, hardly a surprising one. And, as other posters have noted, blowing an 18-point lead on the road isn't nearly as much of a choke as is blowing a 27-point lead at home.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.218 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:01 AM