Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: NIT        (Topic#652)
boco357 
Freshman

Reg: 01-28-05
02-09-05 03:08 PM - Post#3789    

With the Princeton collapse last night, I guess we can hope for a 9-1 or 8-2 finish with 7 home games left. Even with an upset of Penn and win out , they would still have to drop a game at Princeton, Yale, or Cornell to get in a playoff which probably won't happen.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: NIT
02-09-05 03:18 PM - Post#3790    
    In response to boco357

Wow, that's pretty defeatest for a team that's only 2 games out. Granted I think Penn is in great shape, but Brown is by no means out of it. If they can win out, a Penn loss at Princeton isn't that far fetched.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
02-09-05 03:38 PM - Post#3791    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

While we've shown we can play well on given nights - and yes, I do think we're capable of beating anyone in the league, Penn included - expecting a team with this many contributing freshmen to take care of all of its business just isn't realistic. And Penn doesn't look like it's going to drop more than two games.

After Penn's terrific comeback at home, my focus is on Brown playing well, and giving the future of the team as much development as possible. From a fan perspective, I also hope to get to watch as much of Jason as possible. Asking this team to win out isn't a fair expectation.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
02-09-05 03:39 PM - Post#3792    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

I think you still need to be focused on the NCAA bid as you're the only real threat left (Cornell doesn't count since they've had 5 of 6 games at home.) Beyond that, I wonder whether or not 10-0 in your last 10 would get you an NIT birth. I'd be shocked if 8-2 did it. I don't know though, I don't have the projected RPI's.

boco357 
Freshman

Reg: 01-28-05
02-09-05 04:00 PM - Post#3793    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Winning out honestly I don't think is an option, even with the Senior leadership group last year, they found a way to lose to Cornell at home. That being said they can I still beat anyone when they're on, but Penn has all the mojo right now.

BearWithMe 

Reg: 12-07-04
02-09-05 06:37 PM - Post#3794    
    In response to boco357

When you think in terms of closing the season with 11 straight, especially with a lot of freshman, it sounds impossible.

But this team was a bad foul call away from being 3-1 on a very tough four game road swing. They will only be stronger as the season progresses, and the schedule will not get any harder than the first four games.

A job like this is done one weekend at a time. Can they sweep Harvard and Dartmouth at home? Absolutely. Hopefully both games are blowouts.

Then if they stun Penn a week from Friday, they are at worst a game back, and with any luck, tied in the loss column. The season looks very different at that point.

Its too early to think about the NIT. A lot can happen. We have a very magical player in Forte. If we can take the next three games and have a demoralized Princeton coming in while we are on a high, we might have the start of a very special second half.

If we get to the point where we are in the hunt with nothing but Yales and Cornells in the way, I would not bet against a unique talent like Forte rising to a new level and doing something very special down the stretch -- something that would become conference legend for years to come.

We may well be in for a real treat this season. In my opinion, its really about blowing out Harvard and Dartmouth in Providence. I'll take our chances at that point.

brownbruin 
Freshman

Loc: Connecticut
Reg: 11-22-04
02-09-05 07:03 PM - Post#3795    
    In response to BearWithMe

While I agree that running the table is altogether unlikely, I disagree that the reason is b/c we have a freshmen-loaded team. I think the achilles heel to this team is the lack of an effective presence in the post. Flaherty is improved, but is not a true threat. If he were, he'd be playing more than 18.7 minutes per game and contributing more than 3.5 rebounds per game. We don't have a guy like PU's Wallace, who can take the pressure off the 1, 2 and 3 positions. Mark McDonald seems not to be a post-up player, but, rather, is more comfortable facing up to the basket or outside. And I don't see any help when I check the recruiting board (unless Jiminez (the recruit), at 6'7", will fill the bill), which is too bad. I think the lack of an effective 4 or 5 player will mean that, this year and next year, Brown may nibble around the top few teams in the league but not quite get to the top.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.984 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:32 PM