American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Premium
The Wire
Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: Hoop Time Finally Checks-in        (Topic#6522)
LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
11-25-07 03:54 PM - Post#38990    

It never fails to amuse (make that, anger) me that whenever (and, it's not often) BU loses a game there's an eerie silence from the Bison faithful, particularly Hoop Time. And, when you do hear from them, it's in abbreviated and, often times, excuse-laden text. As was the case yesterday when the Bison fell to Wagner - a team rivals.com had ranked #249 in their Pre-season poll....a team that had previously loss by 13 to #200 Manhattan and by 3 to #331 St. Peter's. Hoop Time penned his story 19 hours after the game had ended. Funny, when the Bison are on a roll, as was the case earlier this month when they jump out to an early lead against Villanova, we'd read a halftime report that began, "Call out the Fire Department, John Griffen is en fuengo." Other times when the news is good, as when Bucknell man-handled Towson, we'd read an 86 line essay published a few minutes past midnight - just hours after play ended. Heck, sometimes Hoop Time and the Bucknell fans would entertain us with a shot by shot blog as the game progressed. Don't get me wrong, I only wish a handful of Lehigh fans were as dedicated as Hoop Time and the Bison faithful are.

But, let's try for some fair and balanced reporting, guys. Call yesterday's debacle on Staten Island for what it is: a bad, bad loss. Excuses, as those that appeared on "Basketball U" - the home of the Bison Message Board just don't cut it. Sampling: the venue was too small (only 978 fans in attendance).... hard for the team to get warmed up.....a few atrocious call...flops on offensive fouls....three missed traveling calls....opponents now have our '07 game films....Gentlemen, BU loss the game, even though you recorded 3 fewer turnovers, 6 more steals and one additional blocked shot. Reports say you even had the crowd on your side - both in numbers and noise. All that didn't help. You shot 15% from beyond the arc and only 34.4% overall. Get over it and move on. Marist and St. Francis (PA) await.

CaliHawk 
Freshman

Reg: 01-23-06
11-28-07 10:11 AM - Post#39096    
    In response to LU65

Let me first say that I appreciate what Hoop Time does for the Patriot League. He was the first one to do what he does for the league and I'm guessing it's mostly a labor of love for him. Having said that, I wish he could go about doing what he does without the attitude. I know this is a side gig for him but the sneering attitude toward the rest of the league (especially Lehigh) really is off-putting to many of us. I believe he is a professional reporter and it would be great if he transferred this professionalism to the Hoop Time site. I don't fault the Bucknell fans at all. They're fans and they're just being fans. It's always easier to blame other stuff, especially when indications are that your team might not be as good as some of its early results made it look. I think the Bison will be there at the end of the year, but Holy Cross looks like it's in a class of its own so far.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.246 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:25 AM