American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Premium
The Wire
Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: Harvard Matinee        (Topic#6624)
LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
12-08-07 06:16 PM - Post#39798    

All signs point to a loss today, or do they? In to town comes the Crimson, fresh off last Saturday's home win over mighty Michigan. On its surface, quite an accomplishment. But, let's remember Michigan holds down the #11 spot in the Big 10 and their prior wins included triumphs over the likes of: Brown, Eastern Washington, and Radford.

Since knocking of the Wolverines, Harvard loss on the "road" to BU and stands 0-4 in non-conference road games and sits half way down the Ivy totem pole at 4-5. Besides the dramatic win over Michigan, they count among their wins: Mercer, Northwestern State and New Hampshire - not the top programs in their respective conferences. Welcome to Lehigh, guys, we think we're capable of matching you shot for shot. And, that's what it may come down to........the last team to score wins. The Crimson opponents are sinking baskets at a .463 clip and running up 77 ppg, while Harvard, themselves is knocking down .463 of their shots but only .368 from long distance. That final figure includes the deadly shooting of one guy, starter Drew Housman, #10, Jr. Guard. He just happens to be the team's leading scorer (14.7 ppg) and three point shooter (.545). Oh yeah, don't let him get to the Free Throw Line either. There he makes 86.8% of his shots. Three other starters average in double figures, as well.

As for team composition, it's interesting to note that they play 2 forwards and 3 wings, starting two sophomores and three juniors - not too dissimilar to the Lehigh starting five in terms of collegiate experience, height, and offensive philosophy. Like Lehigh, they've had their trouble rebounding the ball with any consistency - especially on the offensive glass where over the past four games they have been taken to school each time by their opponent (15 to 12, 20 to 18, 12 to 10, and 14 to 5). That said, they do hold a slight edge of the opposition on the defensive end. All-in-all, they post a negative rebounding margin of -2.9 allowing the foe 36 boards a game. They are not particular careful with the ball, either, turning the ball over an average of 17.1 times a game and post a turnover margin of -1.7.

So, while looking at the teams' respective RPI, Sagarin and Strength of Schedule (SOS) numbers, you'd have to give the edge to Harvard, I wouldn't be so quick to discount Lehigh's chances. Even though we haven't won an afternoon game this year, let's not forget, we are AT HOME and had it not been a double-overtime loss to Quinnipiac, we'd sit pretty at 4-0 on the other side of South Mountain. Also, I would think the players would be charged up to end the OOC pre-Chistmas break at 5-5. Oh yeah, many observers might consider this game to be a measuring stick affair, as well, noting that Holy Cross beat Harvard in Worster by 11 points earlier in the season.

Good luck, guys. See you at Stabler!

LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
12-08-07 06:17 PM - Post#39799    
    In response to LU65

At the half........H 33 LU 22

Harvard went on a 12-0 / 6 minute run after LU opened the game with a 5-4 lead. Buckets by Shamis and Carrington broke the skid to bring it back to 7 point game at 16-9. Twelve minutes of crisp perimeter play by Harvard to go along with their accurate shooting (14 for 25) trumped Lehigh the rest of the way. Lehigh went 7 for 25 and only 1 for 7 from beyond the arc in the first 20 minutes. Throw in 11 LU turnovers and a Harvard three-pointer at the buzzer and LU trails by 11.

Second Half....a different story

Furious comeback with Zair getting things started with a three point play. A Phil Anderson 3 and a Carrington stuff reduces the deficit to 3 (39-26). Anderson later ties it with another 3 and his 10th point. An 11 point lead vanishes in the firs 5 minutes of play. Back and forth play continues with LU holding on with single digit leads for the next 10 minutes. Harvard goes to a 2-3 zone with 4 minutes remaining - to no avail. White and Carrington rake the boards (White ends the game with 10), Marquis comes alive with two key FGs and 7 for 7 from the line to salt it away for a 9 point win. Key Stats: 22 for 24 from the line, 1 LU turnover in the second half, Bryan White's 10 boards and good point distribution.......Hall 17, Carrington 14, Anderson 10 and White 9.

FINAL SCORE: LU 70 H 61

CaliHawk 
Freshman

Reg: 01-23-06
12-08-07 07:05 PM - Post#39804    
    In response to LU65

It was so great to see Phil Anderson playing well in that second half. We need more games like this out of him this year. My girlfriend nearly convinced me to bail at halftime but man was I glad I stuck with it for that second half. Was it me or did Harvard have names on the backs of its jerseys? Have they always had those?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.274 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:41 AM