Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Looking forward to Columbia and Cornell        (Topic#674)
Anonymous 

02-11-05 03:19 PM - Post#3905    

I worry about a psychological letdown this weekend. I can see Penn getting ambushed -- particularly against Columbia -- reasoning that they're so far ahead in the standings.

If they do win both games this weekend, that pretty much wraps it up. Penn would be 7-0 and there's no way they'd go 4-3 down the stretch and let other teams back in it.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Looking forward to Columbia and Cornell
02-11-05 03:25 PM - Post#3906    
    In response to

I disagree on both counts. No way Penn isn't fired up after the Princeton game. They know they have 2 teams in their building they can and should beat---that has never been a problem in the Dunphy era. Crowds should be good for Ivy game and the students are now juiced. Big thing is how Penn matches up inside against both of these teams...shouldn't have to rely on lucky 4 point plays or banked 3s. Penn had its letdown, I expect superior play tonight and tomorrow.

That being said, this weekend will not close out Brown, which I expect to sweep at home. Brown still has all 7 home games left and although they need some help, it is by no means over if at the end of the weekend, Penn still has a 2 game lead on Brown going into the Yale/Brown road weekend next week.

One step at a time.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

02-11-05 03:38 PM - Post#3907    
    In response to palestra38

Harvard could beat Brown tonight. The Crimson match up well inside against Brown and Harvard's guards, though nowhere as gifted as Forte, play tough D. Would be a little surprised if Harvard actually won because Brown HAS TO win, but would be very surprised if Harvard isn't in it the whole way.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
02-11-05 04:25 PM - Post#3908    

I hope you're right, but . . .

(1) We lost to a Columbia team that was vastly inferior to us just a few years ago at the Palestra.

(2) We had a tough, tough game the other night, that would be cause for an emotional letdown, even if we hadn't pressed for a large portion of the second half and even if several starters hadn't played the full 45 minutes.

Tonight is a huge test of this team's ability to stay focused.

palestra38 
Professor

02-11-05 04:34 PM - Post#3909    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

This team is infinitely better than the 2000-01 team. Everyone looks at U and Koko, but the backcourt was Klatsky, Plummer and Copp. I loved U and Koko, but the guards Penn has now would chew that team up and U/Koko wouldn't touch the ball. Penn is better and CU is rebuilding, but probably worse.

And the fact that the guys played 45 minutes 3 days ago is no factor.

Anonymous 

02-11-05 04:45 PM - Post#3910    

Actually...it was 01-02 when we lost that horrific home game to Columbia, if I am not mistaken.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
02-11-05 04:47 PM - Post#3911    

I think AQ was referring to 2001-2002. The Guards were Schiff, Klats, Begs, and Toole.

I think Penn drills Columbia, but I'm just correcting years here.

palestra38 
Professor

02-11-05 04:55 PM - Post#3912    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Yup..you guys are right---that was the game of the phantom phoul giving CU 2 shots to win the game....but of course, it never should have been close. Hill was quoted that that was his biggest win as a coach (and almost his last).

It does go to show that anyone can lose on any day....I just don't think today is the day,

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
02-11-05 08:35 PM - Post#3913    

Wasn't it 3 shots they got? I believe Begley was called for the foul right at half court, or am I thinking of the Davidson loss? Both were terrible home losses that we choked away at the end. Man was that foul call horrible. How do you call a foul on a last-second half court shot when the defender never touches the shooter? It was then and continues to be now a joke of a call.

If I remember correctly, Columbia brought a pretty vocal group with them, and they proceeded to storm our court after the win. That one still burns me up.

Anonymous 

02-11-05 08:39 PM - Post#3914    
    In response to Quakers03

The 3 FTs to tie (and send it to OT when we lost) was Davidson. And while the foul was ridiculous, it was equally as ridiculous that (I think it was Copp....but maybe Begley) was so close to the shooter to even give the ref the chance to make that call.

The CU loss at home in 2002 was the one where, down 1, we missed like 100 layups before the buzzer (actually it was more like 2).

Lefteroo 
Senior

Reg: 02-12-05
02-12-05 12:54 AM - Post#3915    
    In response to

I believe Ugonna committed the foul against Davidson. It was a three-shot foul, but the Davidson player (Edes?) only made two of the three, resulting in overtime (and a loss).

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.257 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:23 PM