American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Premium
The Wire
Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: Hold that Tiger (Princeton, that is)        (Topic#6745)
LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
01-05-08 03:00 PM - Post#40638    

Game Notes are up.........
http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/sports/mbball/ G...

The Mountain Hawks look to even-up their OOC record at 7-7 tomorrow (Sunday) as they host the 2-9 (Div I games only) Princeton Tigers in what will be LU's first Sunday game of the season. This will also be their last chance to get it right before the start of PL play scheduled to begin next Saturday at home against American U.

A quick look at the numbers....

Team / Record / RPI / SOS

PU / 2-9 / 301 / 156
LU / 6-7 / 311 / 336

342 teams compete in Division I Basketball. The SOS (Strength of Schedule) numbers above tell it all. While Lehigh can boast of a better record, Princeton can rightfully point to playing a far tougher schedule of games. In fact, 3 of their 9 losses were to Top 100 Teams (Duke, Arizona State and Seton Hall). Lehigh hasn't taken on a Top 100 team this year and can only point to three contests with teams ranked 101-200 (Maryland, Cornell, and Penn State).
To further demonstrate the point, look at Ball State, Billy Taylor's new home. Off to a 1-11 start, the team grades out at 272 (RPI) playing a 41st ranked schedule.

While nothing is ever certain, I like our chances tomorrow at home against the Tigers who come in scoring just 54.1 ppg (vs. Lehigh's 69.5 ppg at home) and struggling to get a win. Lehigh holds the edge in rebounds (34.4 to 26.9), as well. The Tigers, mired in a 9 game losing streak, have yet to chalk up a win on the road. The Mountain Hawks are a comfortable 5 and 1 at home this year - its only loss coming in double-overtime to Quinnipiac. Since the start of the '02 - '03 season, the Mountain Hawks are 30-8 against non-league opponents. So maybe, just maybe, this one can be ours. I doubt Marquis Hall will need any added incentive to do his best to put away Princeton. Who will ever forget the one point loss (43-44) to the Tigers last year when Marquis was called for a foul as the horn went off to end the game. Hall was flagged for bumping Schroeder has the Tiger guard attempted to recover an offensive rebound.

The Tigers will start a C/2F/2G alignment tomorrow. Keep an eye on their talented 6'9" sophomore post player, Zack Finley. He leads the team in scoring (11.4 ppg) and rebounds (5.5). Finley is not afraid to mix it up and is prone to foul trouble. He has been whistled 36 times this year and fouled out in the Manhattan game - but not before scoring 17. He also proved capable of standing up to the big boys at Penn State and Seton Hall, scoring 14 in each. He drops 49.2% of his shots and will not roam to far from the basket. He's a workhorse, like most members of the starting five who all average 28 - 33 minutes a game. In addition to Finley, Princeton should run out two seniors at the forward position (Koncz and Savage) and two sophomore guards (Schroeder and Gunn). Look for Koncz, their 200 pound, 6'7" forward to take 7 - 8 threes a game. Why not, he's their most accurate bomber, hitting .458 of his attempts.

Good luck, Guys, in a game that should go down to the wire.

CaliHawk 
Freshman

Reg: 01-23-06
01-07-08 02:58 PM - Post#40774    
    In response to LU65

I know we've played a really soft schedule, but I'm encouraged by Carrington's play of late. (Although I'm also alarmed by Hall's disappearance lately, too.)

LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
01-07-08 08:21 PM - Post#40805    
    In response to CaliHawk

Talk about getting a monkey off our back! This was Lehigh's first win over Princeton period! We've been at it since 1930 and it snapped a string of 23 losses to the Tigers of Princeton. And, if you can believe it....the game wasn't as close as the 68-49 score would indicate.

Highlights:

We end OOC play at 7-7

Carrington put on a clinic beneath the rim scoring 27 (career high), going 10-15 from the field and 7-7 from the line

Rob Keefer captures his 3rd Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors (following up solid performances at Penn State and Columbia) with a 16 point show against Princeton(6 for 7 with 3 for 4 from deep)

Marquis Hall, still struggling from the field, dishes out six assists to go with no turnovers

The team knocks down 23 of 26 from the line

13 players (even walk-on, Luke Pelullo) see action with nine scoring

18 Assists to only 11 Turnovers

We limit Princeton's top scorers, Finley and Koncz, to 6 and 3 points, respectively on 3-10 and 1 for 6 shooting

Next up: American U., Saturday at 7pm

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.236 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:55 PM