Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Tough loss        (Topic#689)
light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
02-12-05 02:53 PM - Post#4003    

Tough loss for the Lions last night: Not that there aren't any positives, but its still three losses in a row. We'll see if they can get over the hump against Princeton tonight. Should be a battle.

In terms of play-by-player, another fantastic game by Preston. You just saw the matchup of the two contenders for ivy first-team at the 4. Right now I would give it to Preston, though Danley dominated last night and could still change my (admittedly biased) mind. Stehle is currently running a close third, I think.

That actually brings up an interesting question: with Brown and Princeton scuffling, who is PoY? If Wallace's minutes are limited and Forte is routinely getting shut down for 20 minutes, is it... Begley? Preston? Eric Taylor?!? Venable had an evil 6-6-6 line last night with 4 turnovers. I say Begs (best player on the best team) but thats no lock.

Anyways, the good play of Boswell last night was not too surprising. He seems to be one who steps up in big games.

Turnovers were a huge problem with Loscalzo guilty for an uncharacteristic 6(!) of them. I think that's more a product of Ibby than Brett having a bad game. This is the second time that a quick ivy guard has really thrown him off (Dow was the first). Still, its a good experience for him. Note also that the pg spot has been ceeded to him: he played 38 minutes and Kashif DNP-CDed.

I guess Tito was in there for D. Still, every time he gets the ball, I tense up. I still can't believe he ran the point at times last year. In fairness to him, he played pretty well last night, with a 1.5 A/TO ratio and didn't take any dumb shots, while hassling Begley and Oz.

In terms of the other frosh, Mack just got shut down. He matched up with Begley much of the time, I think, and he'll be just as happy to see him graduate as the rest of the league. It was nice of Jones to give Ben some playing time: 7points in 7 minutes is great, 4 fouls in 7 minutes is not. Obviously, some work needs to be done on the defensive end, but I bet you see him playing a lot more in the second half of the ivy season.

Overall, the Lions played well, which makes this the more frustrating. They rebounded about even with the quakers if you normalize for the number of missed shots. That just makes the L more frustrating though.

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Re: Tough loss
02-12-05 03:25 PM - Post#4004    
    In response to light blue heavy

Another game lost at the line. Granted we shot well from the arc, but we haven't been able to drive to the basket, draw contact and make the other teams work hard. Racking up fouls force teams to become less aggressive defensively and go to the bench more often.

At this point, it's imperative to play for the future. More minutes for Ben, Gerard, John B and Drew B. We need to get an inside presence if we are to eventually rise to the top. Nobody can win in any conference with only 8 FTA/game.

Lionized 
goober

Reg: 11-23-04
02-12-05 06:51 PM - Post#4005    
    In response to columbia92

Can anyone remember another game where one team had 8 free throws (Lions) and the other had 47 (Penn)? Seems mighty strange.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
02-12-05 07:11 PM - Post#4006    
    In response to Lionized

Does anyone have an idea why Ben and Barrett only played a total of 13 minutes against the potent Penn frontcourt? It seemed their very presence and possible rebounding were needed. And, Ben appeared to be something of an offensive force.
west coast fan

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
02-12-05 07:15 PM - Post#4007    
    In response to internetter

Ben had four fouls, which at least accounts for part of it, and neither actually recorded any rebounds.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

internetter 
Postdoc

02-12-05 07:41 PM - Post#4008    
    In response to DCAJedi

But, Ben was still eligible, the other forwards, except for Preston, didn't get a lot of rebounds, and both Ben and Gerard present some height and weight inside. The three Penn frontcourters had 16 RBs, meaning they dominated. Matt can't compete in that situation.
west coast fan

internetter 
Postdoc

02-13-05 07:07 AM - Post#4009    
    In response to internetter

Ben and Gerard played a total of 9 minutes vs. Princeton, with the Tigers' two big men out for a lot of the game due to fouls. Something doesn't add up.
And, Baumann didn't play at all.
west coast fan

Redfish 
Masters Student
Redfish
Loc: under a bridge in Phoenix...
Reg: 11-26-04
Penn = Duke
02-13-05 01:31 PM - Post#4010    
    In response to Lionized

If your follow ACC basketball, this is a familiar line (except for last night's game agianst Maryland )

Warrior 

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Penn = Duke
02-13-05 03:00 PM - Post#4011    
    In response to Redfish

So everyone hates us?

For the record, I don't think Penn fans are anywhere near as smarmy as Duke fans. We're also actual fans of the team, not just hopelessly in love with ourselves.

How 'bout them Terps?

The Lion King 
Senior

I don't wanna go down to the basement
02-15-05 02:37 PM - Post#4012    
    In response to columbia92

I agree that it would be a good idea to give the youngsters more playing time, but I think it's more important to go all-out for wins. A couple more and Columbia will have its first winning record in a dozen years. And the way the league is going, they could plausibly end up anywhere from second through eighth. Finishing in the top half would definitely be a boost, especially if they can beat one or both of the P's at Levien. Plus it would be a bummer mentally if they finished on a losing streak, maybe even in last place, after such a promising start. So I think Jones should try to win as many games as he can, because the positive effect on morale will outweigh the game experience the younger players would get.

As for next year, I think Nwachukwu has improved greatly from a lousy start. He won't contribute much this year, but if he spends the summer working on basketball, instead of something bogus like classes or an internship, I think he'll be a big help.

The Lion King 
Senior

it's dark down here
02-23-05 01:15 PM - Post#4013    
    In response to The Lion King

And there are creepy things lurking in the shadows. Eww!

In his blog, our Administrator reminds us that the early optimism about Columbia was based on the Lions' performance against a bunch of lousy teams. I'll plead guilty to excess optimism (I predicted 8-6), but I do think that at this point, Columbia's performance can officially be called disappointing.

Since the 3-1 start, they have gone 0-6. As a bare minimum, I would have expected them to win one of the road games and one of the home games, which would have given them a respectable 5-5 record. As I said before the start of league games, the non-league teams the Lions played were not great, but they were on a par with the non-P Ivys. Even conceding Princeton its continuing mystique, the Lions should have won more than half their games against the others, which again would translate to at least 5-5 through the first 10.

They can still salvage the season by winning at least three of their last four. And it's not as unlikely as it seems. They took Princeton to OT last year, and this year's Tigers look much more beatable. They played Penn pretty close at the Palestra two weeks ago, so they could plausibly beat them at Levien. And Brown and Yale have not done all that much better than Columbia so far.

I'd be satisfied with two wins in their last four, for a winning overall record. Three wins would match last year's Ivy win total in a league with no awful teams instead of last year's two (though this is partly balanced by Princeton's decline). Still, I think that with anything short of a sweep of the last four, the season will be a disappointment, even taking into account Jake's reminder. The non-Penn teams are all basically equal this year, so 3-7 (well, 3-6 against those six teams) is underachieving any way you look at it.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.209 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:39 PM