Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Dartmouth Loss Tonight        (Topic#698)
Anonymous 

Re: Not talking about competitiveness or success
02-16-05 07:21 PM - Post#4114    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Quote:

I wholeheartedly agree that the league doesn't understand marketing.

Brown has taken great strides forward in the last couple of years, and competed for the championship because of it, with rabid crowds turning out for games in '02 and '03 and '04. .

In this thread, there are two issues, woven togerter, that I have issues with. Certainly winning hepls fill some seats, but at Brown, at least, it's student attendance that's impacted. The "Rabid" crowds of '02,'03,'04 seasons were largely limited to the Penn & Princeton games, I don't believe there were any other full houses. Tee shirt and Towel give aways, and local Billboard, TV and Radio campaigns haven't produced a whole lot. Unlike PC and URI, Brown's alumni a widely scattered and don't have much Basketball history. Notwithstanding marketing efforts, a 5000 seat arena at Brown and, I suspect, at a few of the other Ivy's, would produce 3000 to 3500 empty seats. I prefer the atmosphere at the Pitz.

On the Miller issues raised earlier in this thread, I don't beleive his "retention" rates vary much from any of the last 5 or 6 Brown coaches, or, for that matter, from the league average. He may be ambitious (I suspect he is) and if we are unable to keep him at Brown forever, then I will take solice in the fact that he proven he could recruit and win at Brown, and that will allow Brown to attract other ambitious candidates for basketball as well as other coaching opportunities.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.191 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:59 AM