Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Levien Gym is now slightly less dispiriting        (Topic#7)
The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
11-21-04 05:06 PM - Post#23    

Good things about the new, improved Levien:

1. The bleachers have handrails in the aisles. This may discourage people from sitting in the aisles, though I wouldn't count on it.
2. The seats are light blue.
3. The aisle between the bottom of the bleachers and the scorer's table/benches is about a foot wider, and believe it or not, that makes a big difference. Now if we can only get people to stop gathering there in groups while waiting for their friends or debating where to go for dinner . . .
4. The new bleachers are nearly continuous, which is to say that there are almost no gaps underneath the seats, so you really can't drop something to the floor below unless you're trying.
5. There are a couple hundred chair-type seats, not that I'll ever be able to afford the $20 for one.

Bad things about the new, improved Levien:

1. They still blast loud music at every stoppage in play. Can't they even let a 30-second timeout pass in silence? Does it really lift anyone's spirits to hear 30 seconds of "Brown-Eyed Girl" or "Rock & Roll Part 2" for the third time that game?
2. Half of the already tiny lobby is still blocked off with partitions to enforce the apartheid scheme whereby students are put on one side of the gym and grown-ups on the other. This separation is so pointless and arbitrary that it makes me suspect Jake Wilson is running Columbia athletics.
3. The ultra-annoying strobe lights are still flashing.
4. They no longer have free programs. At first I thought there were no programs at all, and then during the second game I discovered that they were selling a yearbook with an 11x17 poster inserted that had rosters on the back. Although the poster is huge and unwieldy (folding it in half is recommended), the type on the rosters is so small that I had to take off my glasses and hold it two inches from my face to read it. If they make us buy the same yearbook every game, or charge us $3 for a poster, I will seriously consider giving up on Columbia basketball.

Administrator 
Junior
Administrator
Reg: 11-08-04
Re: Levien Gym is now slightly less dispiriting
11-21-04 06:30 PM - Post#24    
    In response to The Lion King

Quote:

2. Half of the already tiny lobby is still blocked off with partitions to enforce the apartheid scheme whereby students are put on one side of the gym and grown-ups on the other. This separation is so pointless and arbitrary that it makes me suspect Jake Wilson is running Columbia athletics.

Sorry you're having such a problem understanding where to post. If you need help figuring out this complex and confusing new system, I'd be happy to spend some time explaining it to you.

In the meantime, here's a helpful hint: It's by team. I realize this sounds incredibly arbitrary--I mean, why by team? Why not by the first letter of the post or by the author's birth month? I guess it just seemed like a wacky thing to do. But if you want to see an example of how categorization by team works, visit just about any other sports message board system on the Internet. Their users have found a way to grasp the concept, and they're not even Ivy League graduates.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
11-21-04 06:41 PM - Post#25    
    In response to Administrator

As for the shot at Jake - I'm surprised at you.

What Jake (and others) have created here... I mean, it's unbelieveable. If Jake hadn't done this, we wouldn't have anything.

I'm hoping your post was a joke.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-21-04 07:31 PM - Post#26    
    In response to Bruno

Quote:

As for the shot at Jake - I'm surprised at you.

What Jake (and others) have created here... I mean, it's unbelieveable. If Jake hadn't done this, we wouldn't have anything.

I'm hoping your post was a joke.

Come on...I thought the joke was a bit witty. I don't agree with it, but I can appreciate the humor. It will take a little while to get used to the new format, but I know that I've posted on different message boards in the past where posters have had the same reactionary view to change. It's very common for people to be upset because they have to learn a whole new system, but my personal view is that this will be far more efficient and a lot less displeasing (than having to scour through inane Penn post after inane Princeton post) for non-P fans like myself. Speaking of which, I'm going to go have a argument with myself on the Harvard board.

See, I can make jokes too.

The Lion King 
Senior

oh, hell, I'm sorry
11-21-04 09:26 PM - Post#27    
    In response to Administrator

On further review, I guess comparing someone to the Columbia athletic department is a pretty rotten thing to do. I genuinely appreciate the enormous amount of work Jake has put into this site and its predecessor, and I'm sure I'll get used to the new version.

I still think a single board would be better, but you have to understand that I'm the type of person who objects to anything new. I was out of sorts for several hours this afternoon about the underlined spaces in my screen name, even though you can't see them because the name is always underlined. And when I was in college, I was against co-education, but it turns out to have saved my life, because without women's basketball, I would have to find something else to do with half my weekends in the winter. So I apologize if I got a bit too crotchety. (I am concerned, though, that there's no Out of Bounds Board. Without the endless discussions of Al Leiter's WHIP, what will we do all summer?)

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Reg: 11-22-04
11-22-04 03:35 AM - Post#28    

Quote:

Bad things about the new, improved Levien:

1. They still blast loud music at every stoppage in play. Can't they even let a 30-second timeout pass in silence? Does it really lift anyone's spirits to hear 30 seconds of "Brown-Eyed Girl" or "Rock & Roll Part 2" for the third time that game?

Hmmm.. I don't remember Brown-Eyed Girl at any of the four games. I'm pretty sure that the music was fresh and contemporary, including the latest from Eminem and Snoop.

The players do like hip-hop during warmups, and dead silence is not preferred by the coaches during timeouts, because, well.. voices can carry in a quiet gym. Obviously, if the band were at home instead of the Brown/Columbia football game, there would be less canned music.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Old School doesn't cut it on campus these days.

mgms 

11-22-04 04:30 AM - Post#29    
    In response to columbia92

the band will primarily be present for IVY games, not non-conference... so they'll have to be happy with what they have.

Anonymous 

Re: oh, hell, I'm sorry
11-22-04 05:30 AM - Post#30    

Quote:

I still think a single board would be better, but you have to understand that I'm the type of person who objects to anything new.

Actually, as one who has been privately expressing concerns to Jake about the impending move, (kind of like a human dos prompt "Are you sure? Y/N") I thought the team specific boards might hurt someone like yourself more, whose posts deserve, nay demand a wider audience than just Columbia fans. I am quite pleased with the "active topics" which allow you read all new posts at once across boards. Yet the team specific areas give guidance so threads don't get hijacked to P discussion. The advantage of a virtual world as opposed to Levien.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
yar har
11-22-04 02:30 PM - Post#31    
    In response to

Haha. Making fun of Jake is funny.

I actually think the most disturbing thing is the loss of the posting histories. Now I have posted as often as columbia 92!

This board will take some getting used to. In general, I liked the old set-up, but I'll give the BB-U kool-aid a taste.

oh yeah- CU basketball- already more wins than the football team! I think i was the only onw who called the football team falling back to the cold, hard earth this year, as much as it hurts me. They really weren't that bad this year.

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Up One
11-22-04 02:47 PM - Post#32    
    In response to light blue heavy

Oh well.. the question is how quickly I can regain my momentum without pulling out the rhetorical WMD against the status-quo-or-die P-lovers. Surely, very few of them will read anything on this board related to the currently UNDEFEATED and FIRST PLACE LIONS!

A recap of the weekend is forthcoming.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Re: Up One
11-22-04 06:48 PM - Post#33    
    In response to columbia92

yeah, I can see the P-fans cocooning already.

But really, there is little trash talking on these boards now that the one serious flamer has Been Red Flagged. Thats what makes this site the best.

I am looking forward to any recaps.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.324 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:27 AM