American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Premium
The Wire
Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: Army Tonight        (Topic#7110)
LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
02-16-08 08:51 AM - Post#43880    

Game Notes are up!

http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/sports/mbball/ G...

This game needs no built up. It has been circled on ever returning players' calendar since the schedule was announced, I'm sure. It's the game and a lost opportunity that will never be forgotten, especially by the seniors who are no longer with us this year: Jose Olivero, Jason Mgebroff, Kyle Neptune, and Adam Hyncik. In case you have forgotten, the day was February 28, 2007. Lehigh played host to Army in a quarterfinal game of the PL Playoffs. Jose Olivero had just sunk two free throws to put us up 46-45 with seconds left on the clock. Now visualize Josh Miller driving the length of the court and launching a shot from in front of his bench a split second after the buzzer sounded to end the game. Only trouble was the refs called it "good!" Coach Taylor chased after the referees who made a bee line for the dressing room while Lehigh players sat in stunned disbelief on the court awaiting a new verdict that wasn't to come. There would be no replay. The local TV station had decided not to broadcast the game that night - a playoff game, no less! So the dreams of our seniors ended that night. What I and many others no doubt remember most about the night were the Army coaches racing onto the court - not to join the celebration and to form-up the handshake line but to corral their players while pushing them toward the exit - perhaps fearing a video tape replay would reveal the truth: the shot left the shooter's hands after the buzzer sounded. Sour grapes. Sure, I'll admit to that.

New year....new chance to get even. Oddly enough both clubs enter tonight's game even at 4-5 with five games remaining on the schedule. So, now what can Lehigh do to halt their three game skid and get back to .500 and into the race for one of those top four slots in the standings? Look no further than the Holy Cross-Army game of Thursday. Pound the ball inside and limit Jarell Brown - a not so secret game plan against the undersized cadets and a player that represent 32% of an opponent's offense. The Crusaders did just that earlier this week, allowing Brown his 21 points and getting 41 from their big guys: Clifford, Meister, and Vander Baan. Key, too, was the Crusader's ability to get to line. The trio of big men went 14 for 17 from the charity stripe. I'm looking for White, Carrington and Anderson/Gourlay to be effective and, while not scoring a combined 41, to at least pour in 25-30 and cause havoc under the basket tonight in much the same manner as did Clifford, Meister and Vander Baan? I'm also confident we will be able to limit Army second chance points, based on our defensive rebounding strength (presently ranked #1 in the league @ 23.9 rpg). I also look for our bench - explosive at times (think Buchberger's 21 and Small's 19) - to outscore theirs.

The Standings:

AU 7-3
LC 5-4
Navy 5-4
BU 5-5
Army 4-5
LU 4-5
HC 4-6
CU 4-6

See you at Stabler tonihht.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.201 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:29 AM