American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Premium
The Wire
Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: Conquered or Conquering Crusaders        (Topic#7222)
LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
02-29-08 05:25 PM - Post#45008    

Come around 11 o'clock tonight, we'll know.

OK, you've heard it all. Entering the final weekend of play, the Mountain Hawks (13-14, 6-7) have a good - bordering on excellent - chance to host a quarter-final round playoff game next Wednesday with a win tonight over the invading Crusaders of Holy Cross (15-12, 5-8). What has to happen for that to come true, assuming we get the win tonight? Simply have AU beat LC or Army beat BU or Navy beat CU. Gotta like one of those match-ups to come through for us. I hate to think it, but we could even play host to a first round game were to lose tonight. How? Have Army and Navy both win tomorrow.

Holy Cross is limping into the playoffs, having loss their last two league games and is without the services of one of their big men and top rebounder tonight, Jr. Forward, Alex Vander Baan. Lehigh had better not take too much comfort in that fact, however. AVB wasn't on the court 27 days ago when Holy Cross embarrassed us by 18 (60-42) at the Hart Center. This game shapes up to be a battle of the big men, as it was the last time we tangled. Can White and Carrington (undersized, a abit, but possessing great leaping ability) - augmented by Anderson and Gourlay - hold Clifford (6'11' 275 lb), Miester (6'8" 230 lb), and Cunningham (6'6" 205 lb) in check? That is, limit their combined scoring to something less than 25 and match them rebound for rebound (say 15 for 15). No promises, but that should do it. With all due respects - especially to Kyle Cruze (6.3 ppg and .316 from three) and Pat Doherty (7.5 ppg and .250 from three) - their outside game is not up to par this year.

Other things that might play in our favor tonight include:

Senior Night. You gotta believe B.White, our only senior and tri-captain, will be pumped. A guy who wants to continue playing the game of basketball upon graduation, he enters the game tonight with 625 career boards (221 this season) and is the league's leading rebounder (8.2 rpg for 27 games and 8.5rpg in the PL). He's also tops the league in Blocked Shots (2.26 pg over the course of the season and 2.31 pg in PL play). Gotta believe he'll attempt to put the team on his back this evening. Let's hope he's not too pumped and can stay out of foul trouble - which, by the way - could spell trouble for both teams. White, Carrington and Clifford (many nights with 3 PFs or more) are each prone mistakes that cripple their team.

Home Court. Yeah, I know this is the year for the visiting team to rack up wins. It's been amazing, but consider how friendly Stabler has been to us. We're 10-3 this year and 30-11 (.731) since the start of the 02-03 season. Not a guarantee, but I'm glad we're here and not in Worcester.

Multiple Scoring Threats. Easier to guard one and not three. It's not to say it works all the time, but I like the fact that we'll start three in double-figures (Hall, Carrington and White) to only one (Clifford) for Holy Cross. I also like the fact that seven different players have led the team in scoring this year. On any given night, you're not sure (and neither is our opponent) who will have the hot hand. And, eleven times this year, nine players have found their names in the scoring totals. Hey, all players who normally see action could come out cold tonight, who knows. But, again I like our chances.

Defensive Intensity. After watching us pressure the ball and execute great "help and recovery" moves in the BU game, I'm hopeful the team has bought into the fact that Defense wins in the PL. Do it tonight, force turnovers and limit those entry passes into the box (Clifford, Meister, and company) and we should get a "W" tonight. Holy Cross doesn't win often when scoring less than 60 and they are certainly capable of an "off night." Take for instance their losses to LC (52 pts), Army (39 pts.), CU (46 pts.) and AU (46 pts.).

Hope to see you at Stabler tonight. Let's show our thanks to the team and honor B.White for his four years of dedicated leadership.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.177 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:47 AM