American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Premium
The Wire
Recruiting
Alumni
Username Post: Hopes dashed - Army ends our season        (Topic#7284)
LU65 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-30-06
03-06-08 05:25 PM - Post#45659    

If only a second three would have fallen for Marquis (1 for 10) sometime during the night, if only we could have done a better job penetrated Army's 1-3-1 defense in the first half, if only Grant Carter (Army replacement player averaging .9 ppg / 4 mpg, .217 from beyond the arc) hadn't checked into the game for 30 seconds at the end of the first half and drained a 3 pt. prayer at the buzzer, if only we weren't so damn tight in the early going (6 TO's and 7 missed FGs - a "brick" and an "air ball" included) falling behind by 7 at the 13 minute mark, if only
our PL Rookie of the Year (Rob Keefer - who we love and who will undoubtedly be a mainstay of our offense in the years to come) could have contribute just one basket (0-4 on the night), if only we could have pinned a 5th foul on either Doug Williams or Richard Cleveland, if only we protected the ball in the first half like we did in the final 25 minutes of play (6 TO's), if only our guards could have gotten one or two additional clean looks from beyond the arc, if only Josh Miller (a .700 foul shooter who went 9-10 last night) hit just a couple fewer shots from the line last night, if only we could have scored in the final 2:13 of overtime - a period marked by two personal fouls, two turnovers, a missed jumper and a missed layup, ...if only...if only. Well, it didn't happen and we lost the game fair and square to an Army team that wouldn't give up.

It was tough to watch us go down, but even tougher I imagine for Bryan White, our senior captain (tri) and star forward (my "All-League") who got us going on the night with a solid jumper from the foul line @ the 14 second mark of the game and later was to do the same at the start of OT. He ended the night and his career with 21 points, 10 boards in 36 minutes of hard-fought play. When the horn sounded at the end of OT, BWhite was the last player standing in the handshake line and was embraced by more than one Army player and coach. They knew what a night and what a season he had.

The contest itself held no great surprises, except perhaps for the monster night turned-in by #23, Cadet Josh Miller (25 pts., 9 boards, and 3 assists in 39 minutes). We played a patient and methodical half-court game hitting 43% of our shots (not horrible knowing Army is the PL's leader in Scoring Defense @ 58.9 ppg); we contained Jarell Brown on 4 for 10 shooting (1 for 5 from deep) and limited him to 13 points (well below his average) - thanks to the heroic efforts of Szalachowski, Shamis, and Buchberger (black and blue I imagine from fighting through screens to catch the darting Brown while still finding time to put in 7 points themselves); we got a combined 31 points and 78 minutes of combined playing time out of our big guys (Carrington and White); we stayed out of foul trouble; fought back from being 8 down at half and closed the gap with a 10-2 run to start the second period of play; we hustled to the ball and got 9 points off turn overs; we got 9 points from our bench; and we never, never gave up. Too bad only 791 would witness the effort.

If someone asked Coach Reed at the start of the season if he'd take a 14-15 ....7-7 year, I'm sure he'd say yes - if not publicly then privately. I, for one, think he and his coaching staff did a marvelous job. I also believe this could be the start of something special for Lehigh basketball and hope the fans in the Valley come back in force next year to watch this team of youngsters mature and compete for the title. I only regret that B.White won't be here to share in the excitement.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.247 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:23 AM