Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 11 of 11 « First<891011
Username Post: Loyola University?        (Topic#7333)
Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
Loyola University?
11-05-08 03:20 PM - Post#52972    
    In response to Lou

Happy to say that things never change. College or U, Loyola still prepares you for a long career in at least one occupation...

• Quote:
Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Bryan Gunderson tried to master the intricacies of structured-equity investments until he lost his job at JPMorgan Chase & Co. Now he's learning the subtleties of Purple Hooters.

After collecting his last severance check in August and getting no offers from more than 100 resumes he sent to friends, companies and employment agencies, the 25-year-old graduate of Loyola College in Baltimore decided to go to B-school -- for bartending.

``It's come to the point where, yes, I need another job,'' said Gunderson, who has a bachelor's degree in finance and is looking for bartending work. ``I always frequent bars, so why not be on the other side?''

Source
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
Loyola University?
11-07-08 11:02 AM - Post#53018    
    In response to Lou

• Lou Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:
the most surprising thing to me was how small the endowment fund was and is. $165 million is now $130 million. That's not quite university status...

Then again, it probably ranks in the top 3% for cash balances among all tax-exempt nonprofits.

That's kind of a crazy point. Our endowment is not counting on bake sales and car washes for revenue. I would hope we are in the top 1% of all tax-exempt non profits in the U.S. Unfortunately, we're only competing with Universities, not the local Key Club.

For percpective, yesterday someone gave $300 million to the University of Chicago's Business School. Most universities count their endowments with a $B not an $M. Loyola's is paltry in comparison.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
Re: Loyola University?
11-07-08 03:20 PM - Post#53028    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
  • Lou Said:
  • jdp 94 Said:
the most surprising thing to me was how small the endowment fund was and is. $165 million is now $130 million. That's not quite university status...

Then again, it probably ranks in the top 3% for cash balances among all tax-exempt nonprofits.

That's kind of a crazy point. Our endowment is not counting on bake sales and car washes for revenue. I would hope we are in the top 1% of all tax-exempt non profits in the U.S. Unfortunately, we're only competing with Universities, not the local Key Club.

For percpective, yesterday someone gave $300 million to the University of Chicago's Business School. Most universities count their endowments with a $B not an $M. Loyola's is paltry in comparison.

It might be a crazy point from Loyola's perspective, but it is not from my perspective. Loyola is seeking my tax-deductible donation. Compared to U. of Chicago, Loyola can make the point they need it more. But compared to the local St. Vincent dePaul Society, tougher to make that point. Loyola has a nine-figure savings account, is growing expenses at 2x inflation, and sending 21 year olds out into the world with thousands in debt. And they want my money.

I think it takes a pretty huge pair to sit there with $115mm in the bank and pay students to beg you for money. But I am a nasty old curmudgeon, I will admit.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

RW 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 01-17-09
Loyola University?
01-17-09 05:05 PM - Post#56743    
    In response to MJF

I still have one of these Ricky Wohl masks ...

Edited by RW on 01-17-09 05:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
01-26-12 12:01 PM - Post#118223    
    In response to RW

• Quote:
The school changed its name from Loyola College to Loyola University in 2009, a switch Patsos credits for drawing greater interest in his program.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/25/lo...

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
01-26-12 05:00 PM - Post#118258    
    In response to RW

• RW Said:
I still have one of these Ricky Wohl masks ...

By the way, this is the greatest post in the history of this message board. I can't believe I missed it the first time 2 years ago.... RW's one and only contribution. Classic.

Page 11 of 11 « First<891011
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.256 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:29 PM