Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 1 of 11 1234>» Last
Username Post: Loyola University?        (Topic#7333)
LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
03-10-08 04:14 PM - Post#46189    

assuming all of you guys are loyola grads.. i figured you would be interested in a recent email the student body received...

Dear Members of the Loyola College Community:

I want to thank you for your thoughtful feedback and useful suggestions during our ongoing strategic planning process. Your commitment and input has been invaluable, and I anticipate your continued contributions as the planning process progresses. I am certain that the community is ready to embrace and advance the vision that will generate a transformative academic environment for all of our students and that will lead to an even greater Loyola. During the next several months, the Drafting Committee will be incorporating all of the information, assessments and analyses, and data into a document that we will present to the Board of Trustees in October. The process will continue to be iterative and open as we garner additional community input.

This time of strategic planning and reflection permits us to review and assess our strengths and opportunities as well as consider current conditions in higher education along with our position in this environment. In addition, the SimpsonScarborough market research project will provide us with fresh and current data from our key constituents. While the possibility of a name change from Loyola College to Loyola University was discussed approximately ten years ago, it is now timely to reconsider this issue, taking into account all of the information that we have gathered about our own development and place in today’s changing world. Over the course of the last ten years, Loyola has evolved in many ways, including strengthened graduate programs and a continued commitment to undergraduate education focused on a humanities-centered core curriculum, with a full range of strong liberal arts majors and first-rate professional programs. Changing our name now would reflect our current circumstances and status as a comprehensive university, rather than signify a change in direction. We are at an important juncture with the addition of a School of Education, and a concurrent name change to Loyola University would strengthen the bond among the three schools.

I want to be sure that the campus community has the opportunity to be involved in the discussion about a possible name change. The Loyola Conference will discuss this topic at its meeting on
March 18. In addition, I invite all faculty members to meet with me and members of the Cabinet on Thursday, March 27 at 3:15 p.m. in McGuire Hall East for further conversation. I realize that feelings on both sides of this issue are strong, and I look forward to having a full discussion. I am committed to hearing and considering all points of view and will share the feedback from these sessions with the Board of Trustees on April 16.

I remind you that up-to-date information about the planning process as well as a historical calendar of discussions is available to the campus community on the Strategic Planning webpage, (www.loyola.edu/about/stratplan).

Sincerely,

Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J.
President

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-10-08 04:52 PM - Post#46195    
    In response to LoCo2011

I always thought that "Loyola College" made us sound small time. Since nobody really knows Loyola (MD) beyond the greater Maryland area, I think calling it University will certainly help us all in our careers beyond Baltimore.

They should have done this 10 years ago.

MJF 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-10-08
03-10-08 04:53 PM - Post#46196    
    In response to LoCo2011

Why was the name change shot down last time?

My first instinct is to be against this, but I'm open to discussion.

Why would this be a help?

Interesting aside. I was watching the Caps game yesterday on NBC. Loyola had an ad on the scrolling boards the entire first period.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
03-10-08 04:55 PM - Post#46197    
    In response to LoCo2011

I am going to talk out of both sides of my mouth on this.

On one hand, I would prefer they keep it Loyola College. I think the name is catchy, and given there are already three Loyola Universities in the U.S. it makes us somewhat distinctive. Joe Sellinger's argument was always that while we are technically a university, the "Loyola College" name is a better marketing name. And I think I agree with them.

That said, I find it humerous that they think changing the name would make any difference, or be worth the cost in changed signage/letterhead/etc. I doubt anyone is going to see the change and say "Wow, Loyola is now Loyola University. I suppose the change reflects their current circumstances and status as a comprehensive university."

To be honest if they are going to through this process I would rather them not go half way. Instead perhaps consider changing their name away from Loyola to something where we could stand alone.

Maybe we could merge with the girl's school next door and take their name. That would eliminate confusion, eh?
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-10-08 04:58 PM - Post#46199    
    In response to jdp 94

• johndpuccio Said:
I think calling it University will certainly help us all in our careers beyond Baltimore.

I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night, because I am being argumentative and a jerk today. But... seriously? You really think it would make one bit of difference.
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

03-10-08 05:03 PM - Post#46200    
    In response to jdp 94

That's funny, because when I think "Loyola College," I immediately think "Boston College." Good company.

Having the "College" designation hasn't seemed to hurt them, and they're one of our main peer schools. (Granted, they can't be Boston University, for obvious reasons...)

I also like that we're Loyola College and those other schools are variations of "Loyola University..."

MJF 
Sophomore

03-10-08 05:10 PM - Post#46203    
    In response to Lou

Do you think this (and maybe the ad at the Caps games) ties in with a push to market toward the lucrative "continuing education" market?

You'd have to think Loyola has pretty much maxed-out what it can do in the undergrad market at Evergreen.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-10-08 05:15 PM - Post#46204    
    In response to MJF

You just had to bring up the weekend Caps games, huh? As if I wasn't already in a $#^ mood today.

I think there is something to that. Certainly it has been a point of emphasis (building the evening/continuing), and it would be a good way to bring the School of Edu in.

My guess is this is a combination of a lot of factors, from what you mentioned, to a new president's attempt to make his mark, to SimpsonScarborough getting paid a lot of money to come up with ideas and so suggesting this to make themselves look smart.

Frankly if Linnane wants to leave his mark I would rather him take Ed Hale up on his offer to build a replacement Baltimore Arena on the Loyola Ford site in return for free rent. Alas looking at First Mariner's stock price perhaps that ship sailed long ago.
Jesus loves me.

LoCo2011 
Senior

03-10-08 05:15 PM - Post#46205    
    In response to MJF

Loyola is still known as Loyola (MD) though, even though the Loyola in Chicago is a University so I don't really know if changing the name would really add anymore to the whole confusing factor of it. But I agree Loyola College just sounds better.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-10-08 05:18 PM - Post#46206    
    In response to LoCo2011

I am just glad we struck first and got the loyola.edu domain. Much cooler than lmu.edu, lcu.edu or loyno.edu
It must have had something to do with the grant that got all the VAX machines installed in Hammerman.
Jesus loves me.

MacDog 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-21-06
03-10-08 05:21 PM - Post#46208    
    In response to LoCo2011

10 years ago the main argument was that if we renamed to Loyola Univrsity, there would be people in the general populace that would confuse whether we were our own entity or part of a larger Loyola with separate campuses (with locations in Chicago, New Orleans, and California). Loyola College is distinctive. This argument will come up at least once every President.

I don't think it matters, though I personally will always be fond of LC and don't really like LU.

LoCo2011 
Senior

03-10-08 05:23 PM - Post#46209    
    In response to MacDog

another note

no one would be able to be loco @ LoCo anymore (we all know how much everyone loves that :\ ... and i'd have to change my user name for this board and the maac board, not happening

MJF 
Sophomore

Loyola University?
03-10-08 05:24 PM - Post#46210    
    In response to Lou

Loyola Ford? How would that work? That doesn't seem like a big enough parcel for a legit arena.

I've also noticed ads in the Post for Loyola programs. There seems to be a push on the continuing education side with the Columbia Center, etc. I guess they figure that's the best way to grow the school. Undergraduate education alone won't get them there.

Perhaps something's up with them acquiring Notre Dame?

Edited by MJF on 03-10-08 05:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LoCo2011 
Senior

03-10-08 05:27 PM - Post#46214    
    In response to MJF

rumor is they have already bought condom... and either next year or the year after will do actually own it... not sure at all on that one though

MJF 
Sophomore

03-10-08 05:28 PM - Post#46215    
    In response to Lou

The VAX! LOL.

Good one Lou - I forgot about those monstrosities.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-10-08 05:33 PM - Post#46216    
    In response to Lou

• Lou Said:
  • johndpuccio Said:
I think calling it University will certainly help us all in our careers beyond Baltimore.

I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night, because I am being argumentative and a jerk today. But... seriously? You really think it would make one bit of difference.

I think my perception and the perception of a lot of people is this: university > college

BC is a bad example because 1. They are a national, distinct brand 2. They would have become Boston University, but the name was already taken!

I live and work in New York. And I would not have traded my Loyola College experience for anything, but I have to tell you, having it on your resume doesn't help. Nobody knows it - or they think you are talking about any of the other 3 Loyola's.

At least if it were a University, it sounds more prestigous.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-10-08 05:34 PM - Post#46218    
    In response to MJF

Notre Dame was near going out of business 20 odd years ago. Loyola cut back its continuing education program at that time and cut a deal to share expenses of some programs. CND then beefed up its continuing education, which tends to be lucrative, and was saved.

Times have changed and Loyola obviously is regrowing its program now. I have no idea how CND is doing but they have been working closely with Loyola on a lot of projects, most notably the library improvements/rebuild. I doubt the rumor is true... if Loyola had already bought them I am sure it would be announced. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have some sort of framework in place to continue integrating operations towards an eventual merger.

As for the Loyola Ford land I have no idea if it is big enough, but Ed was serious about it a few years ago. He wants a new arena for the Blast and would love it near Towson. The city loved the idea because they would love to see York Road get development. The idea was for a 7k or so arena with dorms built in and retail on York Rd., paid for by the Blast and the city and owned by them but with Loyola getting free rent and ticket sales, etc., for games.

I am sure it was much more complicated than I am making it out to be, but a shame it was not followed.
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

03-10-08 05:42 PM - Post#46220    
    In response to Lou

They would have had to take out some of those houses on ND Lane to get all that in there. Loyola Ford isn't big enough for all that.

That would have been cool, though.

Really, the only space left on campus is Geppi-Aikens. Once that's gone, Evergreen is pretty much maxed.

Brian 
Senior

Reg: 07-24-06
03-10-08 07:03 PM - Post#46232    
    In response to MJF

When I was at Loyola, the rumor all 4 years running was that we would take over ND "in the next year or 2". So that starts Sep of 1990,andI doubt my freshman year was the start of that rumor. I suppose if you keep repeating it, eventually it will happen and someone can finally say "see! I told you!"

DICKEY 
Freshman

Reg: 01-18-07
03-10-08 07:06 PM - Post#46234    
    In response to MJF

I've always found it frustrating when people unfamiliar with LC associate it with the other crap Loyola's. If they make any change, it should be a wholesale change to something completely different. That said, I'm on board with staying the same. University of Loyola at Maryland, Loyola (MD) University, Loyola University of Maryland or any other variation just doesn't cut it.

Why not invest the money in something that will really make a difference, like an additional academic quad on Curly Field or the purchase (or should I say annexation) of College of Notre Dame.

And just for fun, if you had to submit a top 3 for possible name changes, what would it be and what is the mascot?

Can someone elaborate on the whole Loyola Ford situation? Where is/was that and who is Ed Hale?

Go Hounds

Page 1 of 11 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.268 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:47 PM