Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 10 of 11 « First<891011
Username Post: Loyola University?        (Topic#7333)
MJF 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-10-08
06-16-08 10:18 AM - Post#49619    
    In response to jdp 94

It will be a problem, though, if Fairfield changes their name to "Plow King."

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
06-16-08 10:27 AM - Post#49620    
    In response to MJF

One thing I have to say is this thread, if nothing else, has been very enpowering. It has sort of introduced me to the idea of representation without taxation. I have thought for a while that since I don't give to Loyola, I don't really have a right to protest any decision they make. But this whole talk about how employers see the school has been a real eye-opener. As a former customer, or alum, I have a vested interest, and therefore right to complain, even if I don't give them a dime.

As someone who enjoys complaining, this is wonderful news. I am semiretired now. But should I rejoin the workforce, I want to proudly put on my resume "I went to the place where they have couches in the classrooms!!!"
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

MJF 
Sophomore

06-16-08 10:44 AM - Post#49621    
    In response to Lou

How about this? Keep the name and franchise the classrooms out to Starbucks.

Put in a two frappachino minimum per student per class and watch the dollars roll in.

MJF 
Sophomore

06-16-08 10:47 AM - Post#49622    
    In response to Lou

I also liked the questions in the survey about whether campus was "beautiful" and/or "clean" enough.

It's filled with 18-21 year-olds away from mom and dad for the first time, how clean can it be?!

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
06-16-08 11:02 AM - Post#49623    
    In response to Lou

• Lou Said:
One thing I have to say is this thread, if nothing else, has been very enpowering. It has sort of introduced me to the idea of representation without taxation.

This kind of talk is definitely not going to help Loyola's academic reputation with the likes of Bucknell and Holy Cross...

Potentially more damaging than the Erica T. Bucknell incident.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loyola University?
06-16-08 11:05 AM - Post#49624    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
  • Lou Said:
One thing I have to say is this thread, if nothing else, has been very empowering. It has sort of introduced me to the idea of representation without taxation.

This kind of talk is definitely not going to help Loyola's academic reputation with the likes of Bucknell and Holy Cross...

Potentially more damaging than the Erica T. Bucknell incident.

Alas, this is Loyola's fundamental problem.

It can change the name to Loyola U.
It can have a pretty campus.
It can have couches in every classroom.

But it still has the likes of me as an alum.
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

Re: Loyola University?
06-16-08 11:21 AM - Post#49625    
    In response to Lou

• Quote:
But it still has the likes of me as an alum.

That's the beauty of the name change - they get the likes of us off the books, because we went to Loyola College, you see.

Loyola University has no alumni and won't have any until four years after the name change.

Any evidence of your having attended college will be erased, unless you're willing to pay the low, low fee of $50,000 to upgrade your obsolete degree from "Loyola College" to the new "Loyola University" model.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
06-16-08 11:43 AM - Post#49626    
    In response to MJF

You know, put that way it is beginning to make sense.

$50k would seem like a bargain. The average student currently leaves Loyola more than $40k in debt, and they had to sit through (at least) four years of lectures... WITHOUT COUCHES. The extra $10,000 in loans would seem well worthwhile if I could remain glued to the chaise longue that I took from my parents' basement last year when I moved out.
Jesus loves me.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loyola University?
06-16-08 11:53 AM - Post#49627    
    In response to Lou

Unrelated, but a strange story involving our former coach...

Link
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

06-16-08 11:56 AM - Post#49628    
    In response to Lou

The joke is on those who think their degree is going to get retroactive "university" status.

When has Loyola ever given away something for nothing, let alone something as sought-after as a degree from a University with couches in the classrooms?

MJF 
Sophomore

06-16-08 12:03 PM - Post#49629    
    In response to MJF

• Quote:
Unrelated, but a strange story involving our former coach...

In the words of Jim Rome, that is both "clau-sic" and "epic." Poor Hicks...

Scott 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-25-06
06-17-08 12:46 PM - Post#49648    
    In response to MJF

In a somewhat related story, College Park Maryland, home of the University of Maryland, is considering changing its name to University Park Maryland as the new name sounds more prestigious.

fhill35 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 09-13-08
Loyola University?
09-14-08 01:02 AM - Post#51570    
    In response to MJF

As much as I would love to see Loyola have tougher in-conference games in all their sports by joining the PL (patriot league) I do not think Loyola and the PL are ready for each other quite yet--it may just be a little to early for both the PL and Loyola. Here are my reasons(Loyola based) why its a couple years too soon...

Basketball-
Loyola basketball has obviously seen a drastic turn around with the past few seasons under Patsos. The optimistic outlook for the next few seasons, topped with the current roster, Loyola seems as if it would be a GREAT fit for PL basketball since is seems loyola could be competitive in that conference. The PLgenerally sends 1 team a yr to the NCAA tournament(same as MAAC), where Loyola would have more trouble winning the automatic birth with teams like American/HC/Bucknell presenting themselves as teams that could give Loyola a harder time earning the automatic birth than would the teams of the MAAC that seem to "rebuild" rather than "reload" after winning a MAAC Championship. With that being said, I personally think Loyola would opt to stay in a conference where the competition may be a little weaker than the PL, but with tough out of conference games being scheduled( the SOS can be equivalent to that of the PL )without sacrificing an automatic birth( Theories are easier to make then to fulfill).
Loyola is just really hurting for publicity as well another tournament birth--which is why I think those are their priorities for m's basketball. Loyola will have more future success after it makes it the tournament no matter what conference it plays in.
Also, I feel that Loyola(at least its students) are hoping to have a basketball team more on the level of its Jesuit/Catholic brethren: St Joes, Villanova, BC, georgetown, and the St johns/Seton halls of yesterday.--but I do think the PL, on some levels will be able to provide this in the future. (Probably what the PL is trying to do anyway)

Lacrosse-
with Georgetown et. all leaving the ECAC leaves some question marks for future schedules. I think the immediate fix of adding Denver/Ohio State as well as Hobart to remain D1 wont hurt Loyola that much. Loyola will drop their fluff out of conference game to schedule a stronger team--again to maintain their SOS.
Loyola lacrosse, up until joining the ECAC(The Cottle years) was an independent team along with JHU and Syracuse. Loyola had intentionally not joined a conference for two reasons:
-1stit was a program that could yr in yr out get at large bids and therefore didnt not need the automatic birth that comes with being in a conference
-2nd lacrosse being a sport watched far less than many other sports(although growing) has many varying levels of "commitment" from schools and therefore varying levels play across D1. I believe, however I could be wrong, the NCAA regulations allow 17? full scholarships/team. Each conference varies (independents being able to provide NCAA max) the patriot league I believe was around 13(Navy/Army are free therefore money is not option anyway) where as MAAC teams only give 8? and conferences like the ACC and the ECAC giving 17. This generally explains why the MAAC teams are the worst D1 lax programs usually followed by PL (hc/laf/lehigh) and some randoms.

the plus side about PL lacrosse, is that many of the schools are now starting to take lacrosse more seriuos-Lehigh now having a "full" coaching staff to the standards of top D1 programs--also I don't even think they are giving out all the full scholarships that the PL allows. Colgate (coached by a Loyola Alum) turning their program around as well. I think I have even heard rumor that the PL will up the Scholarships to meet that of the NCAA max as well as other conferences like the ACC and the new Big east/ECAC conferences. So, with Loyola greatest asset to the PL being its lacrosse programs, I don't think loyola would opt to make that jump--quite yet especially if it would cause Loyola to be restricted with scholarships.

Soccer (mens & womens)

Loyola soccer has done well in the MAAC claiming many of its automatic births to the NCAA. I don't see any strong points that would deter Loyola or the PL from wanting each other. PL, a slightly more competitive conference with soccer, where the teams are usually all generally competitive with each other whereas the MAAC tends to have 1-3 teams/yr that struggle while 1-2 do very well with the middle of the pack being competitive. If Loyola were join the PL, I could see the overall level of competition increase as well as Loyola's ability to recruit higher status players increase. which leads us to the IAC

Stadium

The new stadium is obviously part of the "strategic" planning to have it's facilities be more comparable to those of its national competitors. I think Loyola's main focus is to improve it's academic reputation by attracting more/stronger applicants--as well as lowering its admissions rate(which would put Loyola more on par HC in the PL. Increasing more qualified applicants to apply loyola, we can probably all agree, can be more easily done with a successful athletics program to help get the schools name out there(I heard seton hall's applications tripled after it made to the sweet 16). So Loyola interest is, as mentioned in previous posts, to free up land, better reflect the "university", improve recruiting, etc. etc.

Football/seating capacity/fan base--

A football team has been a hot topic around loyola as well as a dream for many of its students, I just dont think Loyola will seriously pursue it for a couple or reasons
-Fan base was mentioned, but really how many D1AA teams(not including the delawares/JMUs) that actually have a fan base substantial enough to be considered a financial asset. Not to knock the PL teams, but how many lehigh/Laf fans are out there that are not affiliated with the school?
-Seating capacity...Loyola a school of 3600 ugrad whose enrollment is increasing(which in the future would put them at the top side--but not out of other PL members ugrad enrollment) 6000 seats are a lot for men's lacrosse, probably 4X larger than what men's soccer needs, but I think it would fall...what-- maybe 8,000? seats short of what D1AA would need (I know multi-sport field is a smaller stadium) unless Loyola has planned a possible expansion to the stadium( which would be possible if it followed georgetown's "success" of building up its program from scratch in about 10 years).
-title IX...unless loyola increased the IAC, it would not be able to hold a 12,000 seat stadium, as well as practice fields for more athletic teams (football--as well as a field hockey/softball team to meet title IX--all requiring more fields than what loyola would be able to offer through the IAC.
-I think the alumni would like to see a football team nearly as much as its current/future students--however, the endowment is somewhat low, especially with all the renovations and additions to campus that are currently being done, I am not sure if Loyola will be able to finance many more major projects that it may not necessarily need

I think the IAC, although off campus, is goign to be a great asset for loyola. Loyola will now be able to have graduation "on campus" instead of in some dark/damp indoor soccer arena. Lehigh, has its athletic facilities not far from the main campus--which should also be pointed out that they have no problem getting students to the games (although it is in Bethlehem). I think Loyola's IAC is not really looking to bring money in from renting it to high schools teams as much as the IAC being able to provide Loyola with the space/image similar to that of more reputable schools to what Loyola strives to become.

I, like many others would love to see Loyola join the PL to become a member of a stronger athletic conference as well as compete against schools that are more on its academic level or above in its geographic location (as well as nationally). I think the PL and Loyola could make a good fit right now, but each have their goals that could be more easily attained if things stayed as they were. Its probably something that will be debated about behind the scenes for a little with no official word until the Loyola/PL match is too good to pass up. And at that, word will most likely come just as fast as the news of the Big East starting its men's lacrosse conference, leaving all PL/Loyola supporters in the dark until it has been confirmed.

who knows, maybe with the College of Notre Dame's financial troubles, Loyola will be able to purchase it and its land increasing enrollment as well as providing more development possibilities. I mean it is a university so that means the possibilities are endless right?

Edited by fhill35 on 09-14-08 01:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
09-15-08 01:41 PM - Post#51589    
    In response to fhill35

Very very good post. I think your conclusions make a lot of sense.

It seems it is a matter of when and not if in terms of Loyola merging with ND, but it could be a very long time as the school to date has had little interest in forcing the issue and upsetting ND's alums.
Jesus loves me.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
09-29-08 09:17 PM - Post#51882    
    In response to Lou

Anyone get a very long tail between the legs letter from Linnane explaining the move ("But... our consultants said it would be peachy!") in the mail today? Made me wonder if perhaps MJF if correct and they are getting significant negative feedback from alums.

Strangest thing about the letter is it was dated August 29. I know the mail is slow here in Atlanta, but wow.
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

10-02-08 03:05 PM - Post#51964    
    In response to Lou

The mail must be slow in the Great Southeast. I got that letter about a week ago and I must confess, I didn't read it very carefully because I assumed it was a hard copy of the email that came out when the final decision was made. It looked the same to me.

I'm sure they are getting significant alumni push back on this. The Evergreen fund called my place about two weeks ago, and the caller sounded fairly resigned when I told him that I had signed the no donation pledge and that I was going to stick to it for awhile. The response was something along the lines of "I've been told that alot tonight" or "you aren't the only one."

Lou, I assume your television will be glued to ESPN2 tonight and not MSNBC or Fox? GC makes the big-time...

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
10-02-08 05:07 PM - Post#51968    
    In response to MJF

No clue what is on the news channels, but I will be watching my Falcons!
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

10-31-08 09:30 AM - Post#52800    
    In response to Lou

Did any of you all get an "all is well" email from Linnane regarding the financial state of the college in light of the downturn?

If they are sending around "all is well" emails, then it is a pretty safe bet that all is not well up there...

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
11-04-08 01:05 PM - Post#52925    
    In response to MJF

I wouldn't read too much into the letter. if anything, it was a few weeks too late. every org - large and small -- has sent a similar note to stakeholder audiences in the aftermath of the market implosion.

the most surprising thing to me was how small the endowment fund was and is. $165 million is now $130 million. That's not quite university status...

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
11-05-08 01:49 PM - Post#52970    
    In response to jdp 94

• jdp 94 Said:
the most surprising thing to me was how small the endowment fund was and is. $165 million is now $130 million. That's not quite university status...

Then again, it probably ranks in the top 3% for cash balances among all tax-exempt nonprofits.

Agreed on the letter. If anything sounds like they are holding up better than a lot of retirement funds.
Jesus loves me.

Page 10 of 11 « First<891011
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.24 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:13 PM