Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 2 of 11 <2345>» Last
Username Post: Loyola University?        (Topic#7333)
PFE_Hounds 
Freshman

Reg: 01-12-07
03-10-08 07:29 PM - Post#46235    
    In response to DICKEY

Ed Hale Jr. is the Donald Trump of Baltimore. He owns 1st Mariner Bank and is the cash behind many development projects in town. There is no doubt that he is a large inspiration for many of the sleazy developers in the Wire.

MJF 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-10-08
03-10-08 07:46 PM - Post#46236    
    In response to DICKEY

You want to talk about devaluing diplomas, try having to explain to an employer that you went to "Loyola College" in Baltimore which is now "XYZ University."

Loyola College has a little name recognition, something not using the "Loyola" prefix would have exactly none...

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of a name change.

Villanova isn't changing their name. Neither is Providence.

(Anyone know why it's "Providence College" and not "Providence University," beside the fact they don't want to be "PU"?)

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-11-08 08:45 AM - Post#46270    
    In response to MJF

Loyola (MD) has name recognition outside of Maryland?

Where?

Virginia?

Bottom line: Outside of a few exceptions, "college" means small potatoes. I'm actually shocked at the response to changing the name to U. I would have guessed it a landslide the other way.

How about the slew of top universities that changed their name from "college" years ago for the very same reasons we should now? Should we discount that and hang on to Providence as our beacon of justification?

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
Loyola University?
03-11-08 10:50 AM - Post#46274    
    In response to jdp 94

John I just fundamentally disagree with you that going from college to U will do anything to boost people's impressions of the school. If you have Loyola on your resume, people either know about the school and what it means, or they don't. I don't believe for one second that anyone on a job interview would say "Well, John seems qualified. But if he only went to a college and not a university, I would rather not hire him."

This is all about marketing. Nothing more, nothing less. There is a new administration trying to make its mark, and they seem more interested in our name conveying big than conveying cozy. That is fine. But I can't see it making a bit of difference in terms of how the school is perceived, and actually believe there is as good or better chance we will just become more mixed in and confused with the other Loyolas than we become more recognizable.

This is change for the sake of change. I don't have a problem with it. But I also don't see the point.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

Edited by Lou on 03-11-08 10:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scott 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-25-06
03-11-08 11:55 AM - Post#46286    
    In response to Lou

You guys are all so young. When I was at Evergreen, the VAX was STATE OF THE ART!

My boss went to Towson State UNIVERSITY while I went to Loyola COLLEGE...John, you may be onto something. That must be why I am working for her and not vice-versa.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-11-08 12:37 PM - Post#46291    
    In response to Scott

At the end of the day - no matter what you do - they are not changing "Loyola" to "Harvard" or "Yale" - so it doesn't matter much.

To your point Scott - I've had Georgetown and Princeton grads in my age cohort work for me, so it's the person, not the paper - but I still rather see "university" in there - if at least for my own perception.

I actually [prefer they just call it Loyola without the descriptor. Somewhere along teh way they decided to stop making sweatshirts and the like that was sans "College" - always bothered me.

Scott 
Sophomore

Reg: 07-25-06
03-11-08 12:45 PM - Post#46294    
    In response to jdp 94

I wish they would just use "Loyola College"...there is only one Loyola College the others are universities.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
03-11-08 04:37 PM - Post#46309    
    In response to DICKEY

changing the name is retarded. no one in the outside world gives two #@$%s. people looking at your resume are looking that you graduated from college and unless you went to an ivy league or a duke its really not going to make that much of a difference.
Honestly the thing that will give us a little more recognition is not changing the name, but the damn basketball team winning. Consistently making the tournament business people will recognize the name after they've picked the 16 seed Loyola to lose and they upset the #1 seed for the first time in history.

LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
03-12-08 12:39 AM - Post#46353    
    In response to jdubs

Another one out of rumorville... some sga meeting tonight said loyola had thoughts of leaving the MAAC (absolutely retarded on so many levels).. but I asked the kid who told me what conference and he said he wasnt sure but they listed a bunch of reasons for it.. didn't hear those yet but when i do, i'll be sure to post them... but the AD is so apathetic all season.. and now they want to change conferences.. what is going on?

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loyola University?
03-12-08 08:07 AM - Post#46360    
    In response to LoCo2011

- Curious why you say the AD is apathetic. I realize people have been saying this about him for 20 years now, but my impression is that for the first time in a long time the basketball program is getting everything it wants and more.

- I would be shocked if a conference change was something the SGA would be privy to, but whether or not it is a good move is hard to judge without knowing where they would be going. It would have been wise years back to sell ourselves to the CAA, before its merger or even during it.

- The MAAC is a good league for us, but because of geography we have always been the ugly stepchild. The announcers during the Siena game even made a reference that blew my mind, saying that Gerald Brown might not get all the calls he could because the conference refs are New Yorkers and just don't get to see him or read about him very often. (!) That is a heck of an accusation and I doubt it is true, but truth is the MAAC has tried and failed to bring in new southern membership for years and has sort of left us hanging. We are both a great fit and a credit to the conference, and an uneasy and unhappy member.
Jesus loves me.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 08:10 AM - Post#46361    
    In response to jdubs

• jdubs Said:
Consistently making the tournament business people will recognize the name after they've picked the 16 seed Loyola to lose and they upset the #1 seed for the first time in history.

Good answer.
Show of hands: How many people, upon telling someone where you went to college, have been asked the question: "Were you there with Hank Gathers?"

Maybe it is only because I live outside of Md. But I have been asked that multiple times.
Jesus loves me.

MacDog 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-21-06
03-12-08 08:31 AM - Post#46362    
    In response to Lou

I think a number of posters (Because of youth) are now asking: who is hank gathers?

LIHFunited 
Freshman

Reg: 11-15-06
03-12-08 08:39 AM - Post#46364    
    In response to MacDog

Outside of Baltimore, a lot of people assume I went to school in Chicago unless I qualify it. Changing the name to University is not going to change that fact. Unless significant research has been done to prove that a name change will help the school, I am against it. I just like the name Loyola College better, mostly because I think it accurately describes the school. Perhaps it is technically a University, but let's be honest here. It's a relatively small school in a suburban/city setting. It is not a sprawling campus with tens of thousands of students which is what "I" think when I hear university.

phillyhound 
Junior

Reg: 11-30-06
03-12-08 08:48 AM - Post#46366    
    In response to LIHFunited

Well if they don't ask about Hank Gathers, then maybe Bo Kimble.

DICKEY 
Freshman

Reg: 01-18-07
03-12-08 09:28 AM - Post#46370    
    In response to phillyhound

Hank Gathers? Bo Kimble?

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-12-08 09:50 AM - Post#46377    
    In response to LIHFunited

• LIHFunited Said:
Outside of Baltimore, a lot of people assume I went to school in Chicago unless I qualify it. Changing the name to University is not going to change that fact. Unless significant research has been done to prove that a name change will help the school, I am against it. I just like the name Loyola College better, mostly because I think it accurately describes the school. Perhaps it is technically a University, but let's be honest here. It's a relatively small school in a suburban/city setting. It is not a sprawling campus with tens of thousands of students which is what "I" think when I hear university.

I welcome the connection to Chicago. Itt's an excellent school with obviously a better national reputation.

MJF 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-10-08
Re: Loyola University?
03-12-08 09:54 AM - Post#46378    
    In response to Lou

I wonder if a conference move has more to do with finding a better home for lax.

That weird ECAC league has to be a stopgap, no?

Has it really been 18 years since the Hank Gathers tournament? I will take a foul shot left handed in his honor. Too bad LMU had to run into one of the greatest college basketball teams of all time (Tark's UNLV Rebels) - they could have been "George Mason" before George Mason...

phillyhound 
Junior

Reg: 11-30-06
03-12-08 09:57 AM - Post#46380    
    In response to MJF

It probably has to do with lax. Did you hear Toomey got an extension last week?

My question is has Patsos ever gotten an extension from his orginal deal here?

LIHFunited 
Freshman

Reg: 11-15-06
Loyola University?
03-12-08 10:13 AM - Post#46382    

I'm pretty sure he did, I think it was after last season.

I was only 8 or 9 for Hank Gathers and the LMU run. However, I recently looked at some of the boxscores from that tournament. Talk about a run and gun squad! The amount of points they scored following that event, which was not only tragic but also took away their best player and scorer, is simply remarkable.

They beat Michigan, the defending champions, 149-115 in the second round that year. 149 points!

Edited by LIHFunited on 03-12-08 10:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 10:19 AM - Post#46384    

Patsos got an extension a few years ago, and could get a new one in the coming weeks/months.

Again, I hate to say it and ruin people's perception but there isn't much on campus that men's hoops isn't getting right now, lacrosse or no lacrosse.

The conference move could be lacrosse related, but not sure who would be a fit. There aren't a lot of lax conferences. Assuming it means leaving the MAAC and being an all-sport move, the choices would be Patriot, A-East or CAA. I doubt the CAA would want us, and I hope we wouldn't go to the A-East. So where would we go?
Jesus loves me.

Page 2 of 11 <2345>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.17 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:30 AM