Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 3 of 11 « First<3456>» Last
Username Post: Loyola University?        (Topic#7333)
MJF 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-10-08
Re: Loyola University?
03-12-08 10:22 AM - Post#46385    
    In response to LIHFunited

LMU scored over 100 and lost an NCAA tournament game. By a lot. That doesn't happen every day.

Kentucky losing to Duke (1992) at the Spectrum in the East Regional Final is the only other tournament game I can think of where the losing team had over 100.

LIHFunited 
Freshman

Reg: 11-15-06
03-12-08 10:29 AM - Post#46387    
    In response to MJF

and that game went to overtime...

MJF 
Sophomore

03-12-08 10:30 AM - Post#46388    
    In response to Lou

Patriot by process of elimination, I guess.

It's actually a good fit with AU and Navy in the area and a fellow Jesuit school in Holy Cross.

Here's one for you. If Loyola were to join the Patriot League and with the new stadium coming on-line soon, all these new schools and programs, and proposed name change to "Loyola University," what are the chances for Loyola bringing back football?

I don't think they would ever spend the money to make it happen, but if it were possible, now would be the time.

I can't imagine they are building a 6,000 seat ballpark for about 20 dates a year.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
03-12-08 10:35 AM - Post#46391    
    In response to MJF

• MJF Said:
Patriot by process of elimination, I guess.

It's actually a good fit with AU and Navy in the area and a fellow Jesuit school in Holy Cross.

Here's one for you. If Loyola were to join the Patriot League and with the new stadium coming on-line soon, all these new schools and programs, and proposed name change to "Loyola University," what are the chances for Loyola bringing back football?

I don't think they would ever spend the money to make it happen, but if it were possible, now would be the time.

I can't imagine they are building a 6,000 seat ballpark for about 20 dates a year.

I agree the Patriot makes the most sense, but honestly lets not get ahead of ourselves. IF the rumor is true, I can't help but wonder if it involves something much more simple like lax alone moving, perhaps to the MAAC. And is the Patriot looking to expand?

I think a move to the Patriot, and being associated with those schools, would do more for Loyola's reputation than any name change could. However, despite a few good teams every year seems it would be a step down in hoops. I would be all for it but I am curious how others (JP, I am looking at you here) would feel. MJF given your feels from past conversations on our "Magnificent destiny" (my words) as a basketball program, would you support it?

As for football who knows? I agree the new stadium makes it more likely, and Patriot football is relatively cheap. But ambition has never been our strong point.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
03-12-08 10:51 AM - Post#46393    
    In response to Lou

i'm more than happy to comment on a rumor, but what is the rumor exactly and where was it heard?

MJF 
Sophomore

03-12-08 10:51 AM - Post#46394    
    In response to Lou

I would support a Patriot move. With the two service academies, Holy Cross, Colgate, etc. it's certainly a better fit than hanging with the likes of Iona and Niagara. (No offense.)

A Navy rivalry would be pretty cool.

Keep in mind, the administration views Holy Cross, BC, Villanova, and Providence as Loyola's "comparables." That drives a fair amount of the decision making in all areas. Three of the four are in BCS conferences. The fourth is in the Patriot.

The problem with Patriot football is that there are some really good teams in that league. Georgetown has been getting killed over the past 7 years or so, and there is no question that they have deeper pockets than Loyola.

The funny thing is that Georgetown has a football team but can't get their stadium project finished.

Loyola is likely to have a "Patriot League quality" stadium, but no football team.

Which raises the question why they're fixing to spend big money for a stadium a mile down Cold Spring Lane.

I personally think the answer is some variation of "because they can..."

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-12-08 10:51 AM - Post#46396    
    In response to jdp 94

I have standards when it comes to rumor-mongering!

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 10:58 AM - Post#46399    
    In response to MJF

• MJF Said:
I would support a Patriot move. With the two service academies, Holy Cross, Colgate, etc. it's certainly a better fit than hanging with the likes of Iona and Niagara. (No offense.)

A Navy rivalry would be pretty cool.

Keep in mind, the administration views Holy Cross, BC, Villanova, and Providence as Loyola's "comparables." That drives a fair amount of the decision making in all areas. Three of the four are in BCS conferences. The fourth is in the Patriot.

The problem with Patriot football is that there are some really good teams in that league. Georgetown has been getting killed over the past 7 years or so, and there is no question that they have deeper pockets than Loyola.

The funny thing is that Georgetown has a football team but can't get their stadium project finished.

Loyola is likely to have a "Patriot League quality" stadium, but no football team.

Which raises the question why they're fixing to spend big money for a stadium a mile down Cold Spring Lane.

I personally think the answer is some variation of "because they can..."

I agree 100%. I would happily "downgrade" to the Patriot in a heartbeat. Surely we would not be going alone since no one wants a 9 team conference. We drove the bus bringing Rider into the MAAC, so perhaps they would come along as well. How great would it be to have half the conference within a 1-2 hour drive?

It would allow the MAAC to transform into the NY Catholic League it dreams of being. As difficult as it would be to survive without the glow of the Albany media spotlight, I think we would survive.

That said I woudl be surprised if there is any truth to this beyond message board wandering. But we can hope.
Jesus loves me.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 10:59 AM - Post#46400    
    In response to jdp 94

• johndpuccio Said:

I guess we will have to go slower, given you graduated from a college and not a university.

Forget the rumor or the source or anything like that... would you favor a move from the MAAC to the Patriot League?
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

Loyola University?
03-12-08 11:06 AM - Post#46402    
    In response to Lou

Someone we both know well (who I thought was going to post his rumor himself) emailed me a little while ago and told me that he heard that the ECAC lax league may be on the way out because the Big East wants a lacrosse league of its own...

Edited by MJF on 03-12-08 11:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-12-08 11:06 AM - Post#46403    
    In response to Lou

• Lou Said:
  • johndpuccio Said:

I guess we will have to go slower, given you graduated from a college and not a university.

Forget the rumor or the source or anything like that... would you favor a move from the MAAC to the Patriot League?

I see. Now we have devolved to the Internet meesage board equivalent of calling sports talk radio and proposing baseball trades that will never happen...

I would be for a move if the college was prepared to make the monetary investment necessary to compete. Right now we are competitive bbudget-wise with the rest of the MAAC. I know we don't have the budget to compete in the CAA. I don't know what the Patriot League is from a cost of competing standpoint. Seems more lateral, no?

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
03-12-08 11:08 AM - Post#46404    
    In response to MJF

• MJF Said:
Someone we both know well (who I thought was going to post his rumor himself) emailed me a little while ago and told me that he heard that the ECAC lax league may be on the way out because the Big East wants a lacrosse league of its own...

then it sounds like we would be a MAAC school in lax - which we should have been a long time ago.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 11:12 AM - Post#46405    
    In response to MJF

• MJF Said:

That settles it. We are obviously moving to become a full member of the big east.

So lets say this unnamed source with a strange fascination with Rutgers is correct. The Big East lax would take G-town, SJU and Rutgers from the ECAC, Nova from the CAA lax, ND from the Great West and Providence from the MAAC. Am I missing any? Oh, and Syracuse obviously. Honestly with so many members playing in various leagues I can see why they would start the sport.

That would seemingly open up slots in a lot of places for a lax only move, with Fairfield, Hobart, UMass and Penn State looking for homes. I think it is possible the ECAC could steal members to compliment its core 5, or people could jump. Either way probably not a move for the whole program.
Jesus loves me.

Edited by Lou on 03-12-08 11:17 AM. Reason for edit: I didn't remember the Q

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 11:15 AM - Post#46407    
    In response to jdp 94

• johndpuccio Said:
  • Lou Said:
  • johndpuccio Said:

I see. Now we have devolved to the Internet meesage board equivalent of calling sports talk radio and proposing baseball trades that will never happen...

I would be for a move if the college was prepared to make the monetary investment necessary to compete. Right now we are competitive bbudget-wise with the rest of the MAAC. I know we don't have the budget to compete in the CAA. I don't know what the Patriot League is from a cost of competing standpoint. Seems more lateral, no?

Think we could trade Rider for Kazmir, and then flip him to the ACC for Virginia Tech?

Lateral to me is acceptable, since it would give us a much more centralized role geographically. And as I said before I think it would do more to help your resume than any name change could.

I think the admin (not sports, but school) would jump at such a move and could be actively seeking it (the prez has strong ties to Holy Cross, after all). But lost in the rumor mongering is any suggestion that the Patriot League is looking to grow.
Jesus loves me.

MJF 
Sophomore

03-12-08 11:20 AM - Post#46408    
    In response to Lou

I don't know if any of you guys have the Capital Campaign prospectus that came out last year, but I think a major expansion of the athletic department could be coming sooner rather than later.

It would be an absolute waste to build the kinds of facilities they are talking about for the athletic department as presently constituted and at its current levels of support.

phillyhound 
Junior

Reg: 11-30-06
03-12-08 01:40 PM - Post#46433    
    In response to MJF

How serious is all this talk about us moving from the MAAC? Is this just being speculated on here?

I would definitely support a move to the Patriot if at all possible.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 02:05 PM - Post#46437    
    In response to phillyhound

Unfortunately the only evidence is a rumor stemming out of an on-campus student council meeting (I don't think their approval is needed to change, so unsure why they would be in on a secret) and some believeable talk that perhaps lax may need a new home.
Of course I guess dreamers can look at this and go "hmmm..."

http://patriotleague.cstv.com/genrel/101707aaa.htm...
Jesus loves me.

zombiejimchivers 
Freshman

Reg: 02-01-08
03-12-08 03:46 PM - Post#46453    
    In response to Lou

Is it worth noting to those who state the Patriot League is a step down from the MAAC that this year and last year the Patriot actually had a higher conference RPI? I am aware the in years beyond the last two the MAAC rated higher than the Patriot but still, I can't say it's a dramatic step down.

The America East and especially the NEC are another thing however.... that's a significant step down.

Just my two cents.
http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
03-12-08 03:54 PM - Post#46457    
    In response to zombiejimchivers

• zombiejimchivers Said:
Is it worth noting to those who state the Patriot League is a step down from the MAAC that this year and last year the Patriot actually had a higher conference RPI? I am aware the in years beyond the last two the MAAC rated higher than the Patriot but still, I can't say it's a dramatic step down.

The America East and especially the NEC are another thing however.... that's a significant step down.

Just my two cents.
http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php?y=2008

To add to that, it at least appears that while the MAAC is and has been stagnant the Patriot is on the rise now that it is giving scholarships. Of course that can all change with a couple of good coaches and some good breaks, but the Patriot teams have better histories (off the court), wealthier alum bases to push them, and are in general in better recruiting areas (Buffalo and Albany are not hotbeds).

I think it is at worse a push for the hoops program, and a real step up for the school in general. The PL is full of the sort of schools Loyola backers want to be associated with and believe they should be associated with.

Now whether or not they want us or there is anything to this is a whole 'nother story.
Jesus loves me.

PFE_Hounds 
Freshman

Reg: 01-12-07
03-12-08 05:49 PM - Post#46473    
    In response to Lou

Man, I miss one day of posting and come back to all this! Let me throw in my thoughts:

- I agree completely with whoever said that the school wouldn't build a big new stadium without some kind of parallel commitment to the program itself. I'm not sure that this means football but it must mean a move to take the next step generally.

- I'm not going to lie, the thought of leaving the MAAC for the Patriot League almost gives me wood. It makes sense that conferences should have similar types of schools, and other than being Catholic and being small to medium sized we have little in common with the MAAC schools. Different region is what comes to mind first, along with a different recruiting base.

- Moving to the Patriot league, though, gets us into more common company. We would be an easy bus trip from half of the conference and could build local rivalries with the likes of American and Navy. Plus, with all due respect to MAAC schools, I think that we are on an higher academic level closer to the likes of AU, HC, Bucknell, etc. so it makes sense from that perspective as well.

- Joining the PL would also raise our profile not because of its RPI or anything like that but simply because the schools in it now are more widely known across the country and just by habing our name listed among them we can raise our profile.

- And finally, I think I saw the point that it would be silly for us to complain about our conference when we have been so unsuccessful. That's true to some degree, but I also think that our "ugly stepchild" status in the MAAC has hurt our chances for consistent success.

So much of this game is building a profile and recruting, and being the southern outpost of a New York league hurts those efforts. Say you are a mid-major bound HS player. If you are from NYC, Albany, or Buffalo you will be familliar with the MAAC schools that are local. Maybe you got to see Marist and Siena have some great games and get excited about jumping into that rivalry. Loyola can't be put into that scenario because we are on a bit of an island. Plus, who knows how the long trips (at least 4 a year) weigh on us vs. someone like Marist who is right in the middle.

If this is true as a long-term goal, I would go for it full bore. Building the athletic identiy would be aided by the PL and would raise our profile as a program and a school.

Page 3 of 11 « First<3456>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.427 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:01 PM