Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Postseason watch        (Topic#7360)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-13-08 03:15 PM - Post#46536    

Brown appears to be moving up on the CBI "potential" list. They cracked it a few days ago as the bottom team on it, and are now 2nd to last. However they get on, I'd take it.

http://tcaa.puretecmo.com/nit06.html

I agree with the Old Bear that NIT will be a real stretch.

After Providence's loss in the opening round of the Big East tourney, they are now earmarked for the CBI. While I'd be very excited for Brown to make it, I'd hate for them to play Providence. One of the thrills of the postseason for a team like Brown would be to see a team it never gets to see, and traveling the 1 mile across Providence wouldn't provide so much excitement. I really, really hope that if Brown makes it, the Committee doesn't just look to make this a crosstown matchup.

Plus, Brown is at a real advantage when it plays a team who doesn't know them, and may be less experienced with defending their offense. Teams that have seen Brown recently have more of an advantage there.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-13-08 03:24 PM - Post#46538    
    In response to Bruno

I agree, especially about PC, and about playing someone less familiar with us at both ends of the floor. Defense has bee a hallmark of this team but I get concerned with big, athletic team who can go over the top against us and hurt us on the boards.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Postseason watch
03-16-08 11:47 AM - Post#46708    
    In response to Old Bear

I'm not exactly sure how, but according to the website that is tracking NIT/CBI, Brown is now on the outside looking in.

It's unclear exactly what could impact the Bears' chances to get into the postseason. But, far as I can tell, Brown isn't really impacted much by the teams above them playing each other; where Brown loses is with an upset, where a team with a lower RPI than Brown pulls off a conference tournament championship. This means that an additional team gets an automatic bid, while the team that's above Brown gets pushed down to the NIT or CBI, thereby taking another spot away.

I wouldn't think there are too many cases where "story value" could put a team in or out, but given that Brown appears on the bubble, this is one situation where it could play a role. Let's hope it does.

Brown has "dropped" two spots in the latest RPI to 105, by the way.

This one's going to be close...
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Edited by Bruno on 03-16-08 11:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.328 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:04 PM