Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: A salvage job        (Topic#7362)
Handsome Dan 
Freshman

Reg: 12-18-05
03-14-08 10:15 AM - Post#46575    

Nice job by this group to win its last three to pull out the program's 7th straight season of .500 or better in the league. It may not sound like much to some on these boards but only one other school can make that claim. I haven't added it up but I'm guessing Yale ranks behind only Penn in Ivy wins and maybe overall wins since Jones came on board.

Also congrats to Travis on a great finish to the season. Between him and Ross and AZ and some flashes from Braswell, I actually have some hope for next season. We lose a lot to graduation, but I'd argue Columbia and especially Brown lose much more.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-14-08 10:58 AM - Post#46576    
    In response to Handsome Dan

I must admitt I'm at a loss to understand Yale's season. I saw both the Brown games and thought the teams were equal and clearly better than the other five. Flato's season is a mystery.

Brown does loose two first team all-league players but Sullivan and Williams played a lot of minutes in the backcourt. I'm not objective, I'm not predicting Brown will be a big threat to Cornell but I'm also not conseding that the Bear's won't be very competitive with everyone else.

Pete Smith 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
Re: A salvage job
03-14-08 12:10 PM - Post#46577    

Dan,

I agree with you that Yale will be better than most folks expect next year. I really like Pinnick - so much so that in a fit of non-Penn bias put him as my POY in the pre season poll. Having said that, and seeing all the teams in the league, I think Dale was the correct choice.

I do think that Brown, though losing two studs, will be pretty tough next year. With the strong Penn bias showing, I think everyone else (primarily Brown, Yale, Harvard and Dartmouth) fights with Cornell for second place with the Quakers dominating - but that's just me! I guess that is another way of saying that I do not think Columbia and Princeton will be in the mix.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-14-08 01:16 PM - Post#46580    
    In response to Pete Smith

You have Dartmouth and Harvard ahead of Columbia for next year? Columbia has far more returning talent than either.

Pete Smith 
Senior

03-14-08 02:32 PM - Post#46587    
    In response to palestra38

P38

Despite my vast respect for your superior intellect and objectivity, I disagree. Having seen all three teams play the Quakers twice, I think both H and D have a lot more coming back than the Lions. For instance, I think Harvard only loses Unger AND they get back Pat Mangerelli (sp) who was arguably the biggest injury loss in the league this year.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Oh, one more thing on a topic that has been discussed elsewhere. Barnett of Dartmouth - some thought potential POY and other said likely First Teamer. When I saw him at the Palestra, I thought he was perhaps the best player in the league. When I saw him in Hanover he seemed pretty ordinary. There may have been an ankle sprain or some other injury, but he was definately not the same player the second half of the league season as he was at the beginning.

Handsome Dan 
Freshman

Reg: 12-18-05
03-14-08 03:37 PM - Post#46597    

If Travis plays next year like he did down the stretch this year, he very well could be the POY. With all due respect to Palestra, I think both Harvard and Dartmouth return much more talent than Columbia. Who will the Lions have back that compares with the guys H and D have returning? I know they had bad years but based on what I observed I think they have more coming back than anyone other than Penn or Cornell. I think they even have more returning talent than us. Gulp.

CUJacob 
Senior

Reg: 12-05-04
A salvage job
03-14-08 06:14 PM - Post#46624    

According to Pete Smith, a 14-0 team returning all but one player (including 4 All-Ivy guys) is "fighting for 2nd place." They may finish 2nd, but they certainly will at least be in contention.

I hereby dub Pete Smith "Penn Quaker Fan," or PQF for short.

As for Yale, I have them in a close race with Brown for 3rd. I see the league next year in 4 tiers:

Tier 1: Cornell, Penn
Tier 2: Yale, Brown
Tier 3: Harvard, Columbia, Dartmouth
Tier 4: Princeton

Edited by CUJacob on 03-14-08 06:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Pete Smith 
Senior

03-14-08 10:28 PM - Post#46644    
    In response to CUJacob

Hey, Big Red supporter, go easy on an old man!

I make no secret of my bias for Penn, nor do I hide my identity in any way.

If you go back over this thread I think that I pretty objectively say some real positive things about other teams' players, including DALE of CORNELL.

I sincerely do believe that Penn will be greatly improved next season, and, importantly, much more consistent. I am a flat out supporter of Penn for over thirty years. I am not some radio or TV commentator trying to be unbiased. I am the Ivy League's answer to Phil Rizzuto - thankfully, still with a pulse.

Finally, I wish there were a lot more of CUJacobs, Brunos, Old Bears and Handsome Dans on the board. It is too bad that the Brian Martins of the world aren't constantly posting. Dartmouth and Harvard hardly have anyone pounding the table about 'next year.' The more the merrier and the more partisan...I understand.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-15-08 09:18 AM - Post#46655    

I wish I could find cause to disagee with CUJ's analysis but I can't. I think he's spot on. To me, the big variable is not that Penn will be better, but how much better? I don't think Penn will be level with Cornell and, will they pass Brown? Perhaps, but I'm not conceeding anything yet.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-15-08 10:17 AM - Post#46657    
    In response to Old Bear

Lots of time to mull that over. For Penn, it all depends on their freshmen and the transition. It is fair to say that given the returning players, Cornell is a clear first and Penn is a probable second.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-25-08 09:25 AM - Post#47535    
    In response to CUJacob

Isn't the logical combination of your point and Pete's that Cornell will likely dominate everyone but Penn next year and come in a strong second? It seems like a lot to suggest that anyone besides Penn is going to close a 7 game gap against a team that returns nearly everyone. Obviously Brown was closer this year, but they don't look like they'll be better next year without their best two players.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
04-16-08 01:04 AM - Post#48172    
    In response to SomeGuy

Cornell is 14-0 and returning almost everyone. Penn's on the upswing again, but I think Cornell's got to be the favorite until (hopefully) proven otherwise. There are still a lot of questions to be answered about Penn.

I was very surprised with the way Penn handled Yale this year. Regardless of the ending, I really expected a stronger season from Yale.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.299 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:32 AM