Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: New Recruit - Jean Harris        (Topic#7465)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-30-08 03:02 PM - Post#47687    

Learned over the weekend about this kid, 6'2 scoring point guard who, according to a returning Brown player, is the real deal. Player I spoke with says he'll step right into the starting lineup. He was originally on last year's recruiting list but it didn't work out for last year, and he had to enroll instead at a community college in NYC. He played his HS ball in at Los Angeles High, where he put up ridiculous numbers. No idea how good the "Southern League" in S Cal is.

Big schools are on his list, apparently. Who knows how true this is, but the word is he is supposed to be pretty awesome. If that's true, not sure why I can't seem to find anything on him.

The only article I could find on this is from February:

http://www.wavenewspapers.com/default.asp?sourceid...
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-30-08 05:46 PM - Post#47690    
    In response to Bruno

Great news, Bruno.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
03-30-08 09:59 PM - Post#47695    
    In response to Old Bear

Sorry, but I'll never be able to forgive him for what he did to Herman Tarnower.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

03-31-08 09:35 AM - Post#47708    
    In response to Silver Maple

Tarnower deserved it.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

Re: New Recruit - Jean Harris
03-31-08 11:00 AM - Post#47721    
    In response to Bruno

• Bruno Said:
Learned over the weekend about this kid, 6'2 scoring point guard who, according to a returning Brown player, is the real deal. Player I spoke with says he'll step right into the starting lineup. He was originally on last year's recruiting list but it didn't work out for last year, and he had to enroll instead at a community college in NYC. He played his HS ball in at Los Angeles High, where he put up ridiculous numbers. No idea how good the "Southern League" in S Cal is.

I have no idea how good the Southern League is either, but for comparison's sake, the league's leading scorer this season averaged over 30 per game - and he's listed at 5-9, 150. That's not to say Harris isn't a phenom, but I don't think his 20+ ppg average in the Southern League will give you any indication. I would also take that Florida, Kentucky interest with a grain of salt. I don't think SEC powers have ever recruited a kid from the west coast who didn't show up on rivals or scout.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
03-31-08 11:15 AM - Post#47726    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Howard, even I don't urinate (saving the filter some time) as much on other teams classes as much as you are right now. What's the big deal if they're excited about their recruiting class. Robinson turned two guys I hadn't heard of into key players in a 7/8 man rotation on an 11-3 team that made the postseason. Stands to reason the guy might have some skills in recruiting.

I would have played in at least 5 Ivy League games this year for Penn had I had my eligibility. That was a really awful team we had there. (For those curious, my line would have been 0.9 points, 1.4 rebounds, and a 0-7 assist to turnover ratio - I am a chucker.)

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-31-08 11:41 AM - Post#47732    

The Southern League is extremely weak but that doesn't mean he can't play. I can't find much either. Evidently he didn't play in Manhattan this year saving his eligibility for all 4 years.

Los Angeles High has a lot of famous grads including the graduate himself, Dustin Hoffman.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-31-08 03:42 PM - Post#47745    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I'm not taking a leak on their class - their class could be excellent. Their class could also stink and Robinson could turn them into great players. I'm questioning whether the kid was recruited by Florida and Kentucky out of a tiny L.A. HS league with minimal basketball cred.

Jeff, if you got on the Penn board and said Garvin Hunt was recruited by UCLA and UNC I'd comment on that also.

Bruno 
PhD Student

04-01-08 08:30 PM - Post#47805    

If I had a nickel for every time Jeff came to my defense...

It's helpful to know that the Southern League isn't very good - didn't have a feel for that. I also noted that the biggest player on the kid's old team is 6'4, and they were league champs the year before.

Only reason I raise the issue of how good he is relates to the player I spoke with, who somewhat grudgingly said that he was supposed to be really good. Apparently Robinson expects him to step right in, so I'm assuming he knows something about it.

Plus, it's late in the recruiting season, and we land a successful player. Excitement. Personified.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

New Recruit - Jean Harris
04-01-08 08:45 PM - Post#47808    
    In response to Bruno

Do we have any SoCal posters who can comment on Harris' 30+ pts. per game at LA High a year ago?

Edited by Old Bear on 04-01-08 08:46 PM. Reason for edit: spelling

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
04-01-08 09:27 PM - Post#47812    
    In response to Old Bear

SoCal poster here, but honestly I hadn't even heard of LA High (though I assumed one existed) until I saw about your new recruit. There is a ton of good high school ball out here, but it seems like this school is probably in a less competitive league. Sorry I can't be more help.

-Mike

Edited by Mike Porter on 04-01-08 09:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

coddington 
Freshman

Reg: 04-11-06
04-02-08 01:36 AM - Post#47825    
    In response to Mike Porter

He has also taken the year off so he has all 4 years of eligibility if I am correct, how do you guys feel about that and do you know if he has been playing anywhere?

IvyAlumni 
Freshman

Reg: 11-29-05
04-02-08 01:57 PM - Post#47842    
    In response to Bruno

• Bruno Said:
he was supposed to be really good. Apparently Robinson expects him to step right in.

This is great news, but lets reserve most of the enthusiasm until he scores a few points in the brown and whites. I recall a near verbatim quote from Miiler about Manhanga.

Bruno 
PhD Student

04-02-08 02:56 PM - Post#47844    
    In response to IvyAlumni

Don't think any of us have been overly enthusiastic about this. Sheesh.

ME: Hey, we got a late recruit nobody knew about. Kid on the team says he can play.

EVERYONE: Whoa, calm down! Why are you getting so excited about this kid? You've never even met him! It's likely he scored 30+ because he plays only against paraplegics and probably really sucks.

Pete Smith 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
04-02-08 05:05 PM - Post#47848    
    In response to Bruno

If you go back to your original post, you will find these phrases:

real deal
he'll step right into the starting lineup
he put up ridiculous numbers
big schools on his list
he is supposed to be pretty awesome

Now Bruno is throwing HG under the bus because Original Bruno was 'just quoting a Brown player.'

Bruno 
PhD Student

04-03-08 11:25 AM - Post#47852    
    In response to Pete Smith

Pete you're right. There's optimistic language in that post. (So, so sorry about that. I know you guys hate it when we are positive in this way.)

But, I'm also pointing out that once again, that the powers that "P" often look to deflate optimism about our team.

Your post, for example - basically throwing back at me the positive things about this kid that I'd heard and forwarded. Wow! Good post! That'll teach us to be positive about... anything!

If this didn't happen more than every other time, I wouldn't raise it. But come on. You're not blind to this.

I'll never figure out why it threatens people when one of us historic also-rans hints at optimism. And it's always - always - one of the Penn guys who comes in and says "yeah, but he probably sucks. Don't get excited. Whatever you do, do not get excited." Not the Princeton guys, even. The Penn guys.

And, if there were any positive posts from these guys, I wouldn't feel this way. But there rarely are.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

04-03-08 11:52 AM - Post#47854    
    In response to Bruno

Cough... remember, Mr. Positivity complimented your coach and your previous year's recruiting class.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
04-03-08 02:15 PM - Post#47856    
    In response to Jeff2sf

FYI, I don't think Bruno was coming here to tout the new recruit as much as to relay the information he was given...

I don't agree that all the 'P' people want to squash the excitement generated by other teams (at least not intentionally - though certainly we make some heavy handed posts that come off that way). I think the majority of Penn fans want everyone else to get stronger because that is to our benefit and the league's benefit to a whole.

-Mike

Old Bear 
Postdoc

04-03-08 03:03 PM - Post#47860    
    In response to Mike Porter

Mike, it's my impression that many (though, perhaps, not all) Penn fans want the rest of the league to get better in order to improve Penn's RPI, but not to the degree that they might offer a threat to "the natural oreder of Ivy life". Having Princeton challange occasionally was ok, they had a good rep. during the Carill/Carmody years. How many posts did we read about this year's Cornell team not being as good as the 199? Penn team or even the 200? team.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

04-03-08 03:27 PM - Post#47862    
    In response to Old Bear

• Old Bear Said:
Mike, it's my impression that many (though, perhaps, not all) Penn fans want the rest of the league to get better in order to improve Penn's RPI, but not to the degree that they might offer a threat to "the natural oreder of Ivy life".

Actually, I think you about nailed this one as it pertains to me, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing so long as I recognize

A.) It's not necessary to always criticize other teams and relate every single thing back to Penn

and

B.) In the process of all Ivy teams getting "a little better", there is a reasonable chance that one or many could get "a lot better" and challenge the natural order of things (your phrase not mine).

Again, I don't think it's a bad thing at all to hope every other Ivy team is consistently between 100-150 RPI while Penn is a better than 50 RPI. Why wouldn't I want to make the tournament every year if given the choice?

Old Bear 
Postdoc

04-03-08 04:26 PM - Post#47864    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I'm sure I would feel exactly the same way, were I a Penn fan. I guess I would hope that Penn fans could be a tad more gracious when someone else wins, instead of the "worst Penn team in xxx years" and "Dunph left the cupboard bare" responses.

pchrystie 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-14-06
04-03-08 05:03 PM - Post#47866    
    In response to Old Bear

• Old Bear Said:
I'm sure I would feel exactly the same way, were I a Penn fan. I guess I would hope that Penn fans could be a tad more gracious when someone else wins, instead of the "worst Penn team in xxx years" and "Dunph left the cupboard bare" responses.

It would be a lot easier to be gracious if the change in the natural order of things (shudder) was because another team beat Penn and not because Penn had a bad-to-awful year. However, the history of the past decade is that Penn wins the league unless it has a bad team in which case a serviceable team wins the league (with Cornell actually being at the upper end of that category when compared to the weak Princeton league winners of the past decade).

I would argue that there is a difference between giving credit where credit is due and being gracious. I'll give credit where credit is due when a team takes advantage of a down Penn year and finishes first. I'll be gracious when Penn has an RPI of 60 and finishes second to a team with an RPI of 45.

That said, this discussion began over excitement regarding a Brown recruit. If he is a piece of the RPI at 45 puzzle, by all means, be excited. Given that we won't know for a few years whether he is Barry Pierce or Harrison Schaen, no harm in being excited now.

After all, it's not like you're building off the worst team in xxx years or Glen left the cupboard bare.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

04-03-08 06:28 PM - Post#47868    
    In response to Old Bear

Old Bear - We are all you've got. At least we had enough interest in the league and Brown basketball to get on the net and try to do some research on your new recruit.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

04-03-08 08:49 PM - Post#47871    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Thanka Asia, any help is appreciated.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.361 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:36 PM