Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: women's basketball notes        (Topic#757)
The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
02-20-05 11:40 PM - Post#4759    

1) If Reka Cserny married Jack Aker (a major-league pitcher with a number of clubs including the Yankees in the 1960s and 1970s), her name would be the same backwards and forwards. Last I heard, though, Jack Aker was already married to an Ivy Leaguer, a Brown graduate named Jane C---- (I forget her maiden name). By the way, Cserny is a leading candidate for Player of the Year, but she also deserves strong consideration for Worst Hair. She piles it up in two little discs above her ears that give her a striking resemblace to Minnie Mouse.

2) You have to give Chris Wielgus credit for leaving no stone unturned in her recruiting. The home states of this year's Dartmouth team are Connecticut, Texas (3), Idaho, Tennessee, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Florida, and Michigan. Can anyone else recall an Ivy basketball team with only one player from the Northeast?

3) Is there any sight in sports more sickening than seeing a player collapse suddenly on the court and then writhe in pain on the floor as play continues around her? That's what happened on Friday night when Nicole Lesko tore a ligament (I assume; it looked pretty serious) while putting up a shot. Harvard rebounded, pushed it upcourt, passed it around a bit, and took a shot or two before Columbia got possession and called time out. I know the refs aren't supposed to stop the game for an injury, but I wish they could make an exception when the player is rolling on the floor and screaming in agony. Between Columbia and the WNBA, this was at least the sixth time I've seen this happen, and it always horrifies me how play continues.

4) Susan Altman, the Human Floor Polisher: Have you ever seen anyone better at dribbling on her knees? At least twice a game she will either fall to her knees with the ball or else grab it when she's on the floor, then spring to her feet again, dribbling all the while. I've never seen anyone do that nearly as well. In Saturday's game she also grabbed a rebound, and later made a nice pass for an assist, while sitting on the floor. You only have to watch her play for about 2 minutes to understand why she wears knee pads.

5) Last weekend Edytte Key was on the cover of the poster/program, and she missed both games with an injury. This weekend it was Lesko, and she got injured too. Maybe for Brown and Yale they can play it safe and put the lion mascot on the cover.

6) On Friday night the contestant in the three-point shooting contest was none other than Rose Jackson, a four-year starter for the Lions who later served a year as an assistant coach. Everyone in the stands was joking about how bogus it was, but Rojack proved unable to sink three shots in 30 seconds and win a $20 gift certificate, going a mere 2-for-9, which entitled her to a t-shirt. Emily Roller would have nailed that contest for sure.

Lionized 
goober

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: women's basketball notes
02-21-05 12:44 AM - Post#4760    
    In response to The Lion King

Thanks, Lion King. Apc your descriptions. You bring the team--and opponents--to life, though I can't see them. I
wasn't knocking the players in my own post, but the circumstances. I know they played two tough teams close this weekend, but wonder if things would have been different without recent turmoil. They were doing well when it hit the fan over Waites. I'd still like to know if she actually did something egregious or if the Admin. was
looking for an excuse. I don't think they should expect our support, especially the $$$ ssupport they're always looking for, if they tell us nothing and also deliver zero
titles or even contenders.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: women's basketball notes
02-21-05 07:14 PM - Post#4761    
    In response to Lionized

Why would you wish that on the mascot? I know her, she's a nice girl!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.189 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:50 PM