Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown chooses Agel as next coach        (Topic#7628)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
06-08-08 02:57 AM - Post#49457    

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8217360/Age l-ta...

Thanks to Jon Solomon for tracking this down.

So. Is anyone else disappointed in this choice? Or is it just me? I just don't see it, and this choice, in light of the other candidates that were in discussion, is pretty deflating.

Maybe after the Robinson episode the search committee decided to choose someone who is less likely to bolt.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
06-09-08 09:07 AM - Post#49467    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno, posting at 02:57 AM maybe effecting your judgement. I have every confidence the committee made the best choice. There were skeptics the last time too.

Bruno 
PhD Student

06-09-08 10:00 AM - Post#49469    
    In response to Old Bear

Ah yes, 2:57 AM. My doctor had to put me on some steroids the day before for an infection and the stuff keeps me up!

There is no question you know Jesse better than I do, so it's actually comforting to get this note.

My reaction is based largely on the significant feedback about Jesse from the UVM crowd (and media), and from what I've seen from him on the sidelines. I have to believe there's a reason he's been an assistant coach for 18 years, and I really wonder if a) other guys got the offer before Jesse but turned it down due to the money or b) if Brown wanted a guy that they weren't worried about leaving.

Jesse also doesn't seem to me to have that presence and magnetism - admittedly, Craig is a touch act to follow here. But I really wonder about his ability to motivate his team and out-recruit the other coaches in this league.

So, Old Bear, make me feel better about this and give us a little more on why Jesse's a good choice. (Not being sarcastic here - I want to feel better about this guy.)

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
06-09-08 10:24 AM - Post#49470    
    In response to Bruno

Well, I'm not a Brown fan, but I'd point out that Brown has made two excellent head coach choices in a row. Furthermore, while it is unfortunate that Craig Robinson left so quickly, he clearly knew what he was doing, so I'd call the fact that he made Agel his top assistant pretty compelling.

And, as for the question of his having been an assistant for so long, I'm inclined not to read too much into that. Regardless of the business you're in, some people are ready for the top job sooner than others, for a whole variety of reasons. I bet all of us know somebody who bloomed a bit later than average who did a great in a position of major responsibility once he or she got there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bill Carmody an assistant coach for ages and ages?

So-- are those reasons to feel better?

Bruno 
PhD Student

06-09-08 10:57 AM - Post#49475    
    In response to Silver Maple

Carmody is a pretty good example, I think, although I don't think he was an assistant for nearly as long as Jesse. Plus, Carmody's a pretty impressive presence, a motivator.

I think in order to feel better, I'd like to hear more about what Jesse's supposed to be good at.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

06-09-08 11:23 AM - Post#49478    
    In response to Bruno

Can we chalk up your response to 'roid rage?

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
06-09-08 11:28 AM - Post#49479    
    In response to Old Bear

from AD: 6/9/2008 - M. Basketball

Brown University Athletics will announce the selection of a new head men's basketball coach at press conference/media luncheon on Monday, June 9, 2008, at the Pizzitola Sports Center's Joukowski Room, starting at 12:30 p.m. The press conference will be video streamed live on the internet through the B2 Network. To access the live video/audio feed, go to Brown's athletic website: http://brownbears.com and click on the audio/video link.
west coast fan

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
06-09-08 07:13 PM - Post#49489    
    In response to internetter

The AP recaps the press conference:

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/sport s/colle...
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

IvyAlumni 
Freshman

Reg: 11-29-05
08-01-08 11:49 AM - Post#50623    
    In response to DCAJedi

Initial thoughts on TJ Sorrentine being named Agel's assistant:

As a player, he was a poised and fierce competitor, and most importantly a winner. I've met him personally, and believe he will be a coach that players will respect and relate to, much in the same vein as Mike Martin. He will add most of his value in his strong work ethic, ability to run focused offseason workouts, and extra hours one-on-one mechanics work.

Obviously he has no recruiting experience, but should that concern us with Agel logging 20+ years in the Northeast?

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.384 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:17 AM