Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: My Favorite Quaker        (Topic#796)
10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
02-24-05 10:48 PM - Post#4993    

My vote goes to Paul Little. He was the star (along with the almost equally elegant Michael Brown) of the first Penn team I followed. He was so graceful, so athletic, such an amazingly good Ivy League athlete. The guy could sky, he could handle the ball, he could shoot. He absolutely had it all. How about you? Who is your favorite Quaker?

Anonymous 

Re: My Favorite Quaker
02-24-05 11:10 PM - Post#4994    
    In response to 10Q

I thoght Paul Little was terrific and always enjoyed watching him. My favorite, thogh, by far was Corky Calhoun who was drafted as the number 3 pick in the NBA first round. His defense was amazing, and as a teammate once described him, "he could take your whole game away." Corky's offense, and in particular his rebounding, was not too shabby either.

The Willow 
Masters Student

02-24-05 11:16 PM - Post#4995    
    In response to

My favorite Quaker is/was Evan Nolan. He's highly amusing, and not unpleasing to the eye.

Oh. were we talking about players, not mascots?

10Q 
Professor

02-24-05 11:30 PM - Post#4996    
    In response to The Willow

Who is Evan Nolan? I like his name.

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
02-25-05 01:07 AM - Post#4997    
    In response to 10Q

OK 10Q, here's a Paul Little trivia question.

He had perhaps the best block I have ever seen in person - trailing a fast break, apparently out of the play, but recovering to slap it off the glass.

At Jadwin, I think??

Any recollections?

10Q 
Professor

02-25-05 01:15 AM - Post#4998    
    In response to QHoops

CRAIG ROBINSON

10Q 
Professor

02-25-05 01:16 AM - Post#4999    
    In response to 10Q

Craig Robinson rejected more Quakers than the Princeton admissions office.

The Willow 
Masters Student

02-25-05 03:52 AM - Post#5000    
    In response to 10Q

http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticle...p;Q_SEASON=2004

He was also the Quaker for a few years, but he graduated this winter.

foehi 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-22-04
02-25-05 12:12 PM - Post#5001    
    In response to 10Q

Corky Calhoun, Tony Price, despite his not pushing his kid our way and Jerome. We don't get this level of talent any more.I didn't see enough of Paul Little for some reason.

10Q 
Professor

02-25-05 12:40 PM - Post#5002    
    In response to foehi

I missed Tony and Corky but a couple years. Paul would have reminded you of Jerome in some ways, certainly in terms of pure athleticism.

Anonymous 

02-25-05 01:16 PM - Post#5003    
    In response to 10Q

My favorite Quaker was Ernie Beck. I was just a kid when he played but he was far ahead of his time. A regular scoring machine.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Re: Rejections
02-25-05 02:57 PM - Post#5004    
    In response to 10Q

LOL; that was a great one-liner... My favorite Quaker was John Engles. Nobody was more intense on the court. One of the 3 or 4 best all around players I ever saw wear the uniform until that LaSalle game.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Keven with an "E"
02-25-05 03:34 PM - Post#5005    
    In response to Streamers

Let's show some love for a guy who didn't get nearly enough while at Penn....Keven McDonald. Not only is he the second leading all time scorer at Penn, he was completely fearless and unbelievably muscular and strong for his era. One on one baseline, he was completely unstoppable. With all due respect to Ugonna, this guy is the best offensive player Penn has had in the modern era and would be as good now as he was then (if transported---not if 48)

10Q 
Professor

02-25-05 03:51 PM - Post#5006    
    In response to palestra38

It wasn't my line. It was a rollout I saw at Jadwin. It still makes me laugh.

Anonymous 

02-25-05 03:59 PM - Post#5007    
    In response to 10Q

Since Corky has some votes, I'll chime in for Ron Haigler. He was an incredibly smooth player; three time all Big Five, twice player of the year & three time all Ivy. He hit about a half dozen game winning shots over his career.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
02-25-05 09:17 PM - Post#5008    

Glad you brought him up. I am convinced he could go 20 & 10 on any given night against current day defenders if he did not rely on the 15 footer he loved to take. Interesting comparison with Ugonna. Games were very different, but both could take on anyone in D-1 in their day.

Anonymous 

02-25-05 09:56 PM - Post#5009    
    In response to

My favorite Quaker: Barry Pierce. I loved his approach to the game. Strong as an ox an fearless. He usually handled the opponent's best offensive player. Particularly in his sophomore season, he often played low-post defense. At 6'3"! He was also was very strong at what is becoming a lost art: the midrange jumper. The Clippers' Bobby Simmons is what BP would be if he were 6'7".

Anonymous 

02-25-05 10:49 PM - Post#5010    
    In response to

Being that I have only been a fan since 97 (my freshman year), I don't have nearly as wide a range of players available to choose from... That said, Ugonna is most definitely my favorite Quaker. He ALWAYS played his best in the big games against the best competition.

-Mike

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Haigler
02-26-05 02:12 AM - Post#5011    
    In response to Streamers

Quote:

Glad you brought him up. I am convinced he could go 20 & 10 on any given night against current day defenders if he did not rely on the 15 footer he loved to take. Interesting comparison with Ugonna. Games were very different, but both could take on anyone in D-1 in their day.

If only he could have gone for 20 & 10 vs. K-State......
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

palestra38 
Professor

02-26-05 04:00 AM - Post#5012    
    In response to 13otto

It would have been great....if he had been on that team. Keven was Class of '78. He was playing freshman ball when Penn choked away a home NCAA game in '75.

Anonymous 

Re: Rejections
02-26-05 04:04 AM - Post#5013    
    In response to Streamers

Quote:

My favorite Quaker was John Engles. Nobody was more intense on the court. One of the 3 or 4 best all around players I ever saw wear the uniform until that LaSalle game.

I would agree...a prolific scorer, stalwart defender and big time rebounder, John could do it all until he blew his knee out. My second place favorite would be a guy who was not a 'star' in the same sense as John, but always came through when you really needed it and the game was on the line: Booney Salters. The number of clutch shots he made at the end of games was pretty amazing.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
02-26-05 04:15 AM - Post#5014    

Quote:

It would have been great....if he had been on that team. Keven was Class of '78. He was playing freshman ball when Penn choked away a home NCAA game in '75.

Section110 and Streamers were referring to Ron Haigler. And so was I.

Anonymous 

02-26-05 12:51 PM - Post#5015    
    In response to 13otto

Nope - if you read the messages in threaded mode, Section110 was referring to Haigler, but Streamers was commenting on McDonald (note that he referenced Palestra38). I usually read these boards in flat mode to save time, but that occasionally causes confusion as to who is responding to whom.
I do agree with your response to Section110 regarding the unfortunate end of the highly promising '75 season. It's sad that Haigler's legacy will be forever tainted by a hugely disappointing final game vs. K State. He was simply out of it that day.
Now with regard to Streamers who indeed was commenting on Keven in response to Palestra38, who has always held McDonald in higher esteem than I have. He is correct about Keven's modern style of offensive play that would be equally effective today. However, he is not amongst my "favorites" because he was not a complete player, particularly within the team context. If he were on the current Penn team, I would see similar friction and frustration with Dunphy to that which we all witnessed during Ugonna's senior season. Both had great physical presence and ability, but didn't appear to always give maximum effort, esp. defensively. In addition, McDonald had a selfish streak that seemed to put off teammates at times. When he was hot (such as against St. Bonaventure in the '78 NCAAs), he could put up a career high and carry the team to a resounding victory. Next time out, however, he was essentially a non-factor against a great Duke team that would go on to the Finals - a game which we all know Penn led by 8 with 8:00 to go. I don't subscribe to the popular belief that, if it weren't for a couple of unwise drives to the bucket by Willis and Crowley, we had that game won. Duke would probably have worn us down with pressure and ultimately prevailed in some other way - they were simply better.
I believe the main reason the '79 team went further (and was a better team all around - two different things BTW) was better chemistry. The absence of Keven McDonald seemed to have a unifying effect. Those of us who were on campus those years should remember that the feeling surrounding those two seasons was quite different. It was a looser, happier Quaker team that went down to Raleigh for the weekend that would culminate in Black Sunday and a stunning, but deserved, victory over #1 seed UNC.
I have had several conversations with a player from both of those squads about various dynamics within the team. When asked to comment on the common theory that the '78 team was better because it had McDonald, this player simply winked and replied,"Well, look at the results!"

palestra38 
Professor

02-26-05 01:55 PM - Post#5016    
    In response to

All good points....but the real difference between 1978 and 1979 was that Duke in '78 was better than NC in '79...not by a lot, but both games were close and Penn lost one and won one. As for the 1978 game, it wasn't the 3 drives rejected by Gminski (2 by Willis, 1 by Crowley) in themselves that lost it, but it was the strategy to keep attacking in a game without a shot clock that ultimately was the demise. Those were the years of the "4 corners" and the reason for going to that was to force a defending team that was down to come out of a zone. For some still inexplicable reason, Penn drove the lane against the Duke zone with Gminski sitting in the middle. Penn should have held the ball out until Duke came out of the zone and then driven the lane.

We'll never know how Penn would have done had they not blown the lead in the Duke game, but, of course, Duke went to the final game that year. And, as for McDonald, I think he would have been more willing to listen to Fran Dunphy than Chuck Daly, who was a fabulous recruiter but was not much of a teacher. We'll never know that either, of course.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
02-26-05 02:04 PM - Post#5017    
    In response to

Oops. My bad. Streamers post followed section110's, and when I saw "20 & 10", I assumed he was referring to Haigler. (Keven averaged under 8 rpg.)

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
02-26-05 06:38 PM - Post#5018    

Keven McDonald, Ron Haigler, Tony Price, Corky Calhoun and Ernie Beck -- all were great!!!

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
02-26-05 07:51 PM - Post#5019    
    In response to

Thanks Lyle for the refresher. Your memory of these things has always been sharper than mine. Aside from chemistry issues, I also think McDonald's departure created more minutes and scoring opportunities for Price & Smith, allowing them to play to their potential. It will always be debatable, in my mind, as to which team was better.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.313 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:08 PM