Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Harv        (Topic#8633)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
02-14-09 10:05 PM - Post#58811    

On a very late Bulger FG Lions win 60-59. Miller 19 pts, 8 RBs. KJ 5 threes. Amp played little; Scott in and out with the flu; hit a three fairly late..
west coast fan

The Lion King 
Junior

Reg: 11-10-06
Yeah!
02-14-09 10:47 PM - Post#58818    
    In response to internetter

That's what I love about this team: They keep fighting and fighting, and more often than not they find a way to win. Once again Columbia fell behind (10-point deficit in the second half) and fought back; once again it was the other team that got flustered at the end (aided by some odd coaching moves; Amaker seemed to have instructed them to run out the clock with a 4-point lead and 4 minutes-plus left). And once again half the team was sick or banged up but they came through nonetheless.

Matsui was the hero of the first half with 15 points; he didn't score in the second, but he was surprisingly tough on defense and handled the ball well. Agho was less active than last night, but he came on in the last few minutes. Miller was solid in all phases, as we've come to expect. Bova started but only played about half the game and was fairly quiet. Bulger had an awful night shooting until he sank the game winner with 4 seconds left. Foley scored on several nice dipsy-doodles, and as usual, Jones had him in there when it counted. Crimmins was overmatched against Harvard's big men and encountered his usual foul trouble. Ampim, as Internetter notes, barely played: Not at all in the first half, and a minute or two in the second.

Harvard played a tight, aggressive defense, blocking 8 Lion shots (Columbia had 0 blocks) and stealing the ball 10 times (according to the box score, which credits Lin with 3, but I'd swear he had half a dozen, not counting one that was nullified when Jones called timeout 1/10 of a second before Lin tapped the ball away). I would almost put Lin in the Jerome Allen class as a thief, though Allen was more into stealing off the dribble while Lin specializes in anticipating passes.

I don't know how the rest of the season will shape up, but so far, this is the most entertaining Columbia team I can remember in at least a decade. Next year, if everyone stays healthy, Craig and Grimes live up to their billing, and Crimmins develops into an adequate sub, things could get very interesting around Levien Gym.

CU.LIONS 
Senior

Reg: 03-03-07
02-15-09 02:03 AM - Post#58837    
    In response to The Lion King

Just win baby! is how I think Al Davis said it. Ugly game with poor play overall but they did find away to win it.

An ugly win is better then a pretty loss any day. KJ finally got hot, even for half anyway. The defense I thought was bad for most of the game but did come through in thr end when it counted. How about Bulger? He was 1-10 for the game and then hits the game winner.

Go Lions!!!!

internetter 
Postdoc

02-15-09 02:28 AM - Post#58840    
    In response to CU.LIONS

It was a stirring win, especially with such a depleted cast. This squad has spunk!
One thought: especially when playing against a team with someone like Lin, the guards must look before they pass. A little head fake in the opposite direction from the intended receiver would go a long way to neutralizing a potential thief. That's also a way to beat a zone.
west coast fan

AndreG 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-28-07
02-15-09 02:28 AM - Post#58841    
    In response to CU.LIONS

I dont know if it has been mentioned already, but it was the first time I heard of it today, and that is both Foley and Scott will be going under the knife as soon as the season ends. Foley for his foot and Scott for his shoulder which actually has been separated since the preseason. Unbelievable that both players can even play under those conditions, let alone play well. Foley is the 1st or 2nd leading scorer on the team and probably tops in FTs while Scott with one arm has mananged to shoot over 40% from the field as well as shoot over 40% from the 3 point line. Truly amazing. Those 2 players as well as the rest of the team are why I have become truly fond and proud of the Lions. They continue to give every thing they have and more in some cases. And the results have led to victories and some inspiring basketball even if they aren't always pretty. As was written in the other thread, this team and players are truly special.

Lion Fan 
Freshman

Reg: 11-21-07
02-15-09 12:19 PM - Post#58859    
    In response to AndreG

Great Game by Columbia - I had my doubts during the game, some alums behind me were grumbling about all our turnovers about half way through, but WE DID IT! Pretty fair assessment of what everyone did, but have to come to Crimmin's defense - although he picked up at least 4 fouls I think (and looked pretty mad about it on the bench) he got some crucial rebounds. Someone else on this board said that it takes the big men slightly longer to find their feet. Let's not forget how long it took Mr. Miller to succeed - altho he was playing behind John Baumann and Big Ben.

I have to give shoutout to Jeremy Lin - I was impressed with his play, although sometimes it seemed he was a little impressed with himself, but I guess that is the Lion Fan in me.

It really seemed like one of the more emotional wins in the gym! My son reminded me of the crowd "storming the court" when we defeated Yale in double overtime a few years back.

If Scott and Foley are injured, well it is pretty hard to tell from their play.

Well done Lions! Let's beat Yale and Brown on the road this coming weekend - I think we can do it!

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
02-15-09 12:44 PM - Post#58863    
    In response to Lion Fan

Before everyone annoints this team as special, lets remember Columbia has 4 straight road games. That's 4 games on the road with injured and sick players. Fatigue can catch up real quckly. Truth be told Columbia has been playing some sloppy basketball lately and might easily lose all 4 games. Will everyone claim that they are still special then?

What is special is the relentless effort and determination the players seemingly give. Having players like the fore mentioned Foley and Scott playing with some prety servere injuries speaks of the type of toughness and fortitude Columbia appears to be rallying around.

I am still hoping that they can improve themselves so as not to rely on grit alone but some good play as well.

ibnsmi 
Freshman

Reg: 08-21-07
02-15-09 01:02 PM - Post#58866    
    In response to skiba34

Hmmm, I'd say going from 21-13 down midway through the first half to Dartmouth (which took Cornell into double overtime last night) to up 46-29, was some pretty decent basketball. Sloppy play doesn't get you a 33-8 run against a 4-2 team that came within a freethrow of beating the Big Red. There have been some rough moments to be sure, but there has been a lot of good basketball in there as well. I think these guys are turning into a team, more than the sum of the parts, which is the best thing you can say about any squad.

They are also fun to watch.

internetter 
Postdoc

02-15-09 01:15 PM - Post#58867    
    In response to skiba34

They could've lost all four games but didn't! That's a sign of a special team.

They could easily lose some, all of the away games, but I for one would still think they're an unusual group. They don't give up, seem to find themselves when things are going wrong.

Then, there's Jones' handling of the team with all of the injuries and illness.

west coast fan

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
02-15-09 03:23 PM - Post#58886    

Another great comeback victory by the Lions. Thanks sweetheart for allowing me to go to Levien last night despite it being Valentine's day!

palestra38 
Professor

02-15-09 03:32 PM - Post#58889    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

But she didn't go with you? I guess she doesn't feel that Garbage Alley is romantic enough.

Good win for the Lions....let's see how they do on the road.

The Lion King 
Junior

On the Road
02-15-09 03:45 PM - Post#58893    
    In response to palestra38

P38 is right: Columbia has won only one Ivy road game so far, and it wasn't against a very good team. And it's entirely possible that they'll fall off a cliff and lose their last six games; I've seen Lion teams do that. But if they can win, let's say, one of the four road games and one at home against the P's, they'll finish at 7-7. I would have considered that an excellent result going into the Ivy season, even without all the injuries they've had.

What's different about this year's team (so far) is that they've been winning close games. They were overmatched twice against Cornell, though they put up decent efforts, and they played a stinker against Princeton. But against Yale, Brown, Penn, and Dartmouth, they took a lead, withstood a vigorous comeback attempt, and held on for the win, while against Harvard they fell behind by double digits and fought back to pull out a win in the last few seconds. That's why we're all so overexcited on this board--because for decades, Columbia has been losing games like that.

The road weekends will certainly be a test, but all the teams they'll be playing are close to Columbia's level. If they can finish the year 7-7, I'll be very happy, and if they can go 8-6, I'll be ecstatic. Ideally Columbia basketball will someday reach the point where we will not be celebrating things like this, but in view of the Lions' dismal history since 1968, this year's team is looking like a major step forward.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: On the Road
02-15-09 03:50 PM - Post#58895    

I wasn't being sarcastic about the Lions...only Garbage Alley (as I always am). They are playing much harder (at least until this weekend) than my undergraduate alma mater and that was the difference in Philly----plus a big man with an inside game.

You know, I read on this board about big men developing slowly, but I'll tell you, Miller is a better big man than Ben ever was. It might have been a mistake not to give him a chance while they still had Bauman. Here is a big guy who has excellent offensive footwork and can dish when double teamed. When the Ball came to Ben, it was either a shot or a turnover and he clogged the middle. They are playing a much more effective offensive scheme this year.

internetter 
Postdoc

02-15-09 03:55 PM - Post#58897    

So much of the success in these last games will depend on who's healthy enough.

If the 3 starters can't contribute significantly, there will be an undeserving end to the season.

west coast fan

The Lion King 
Junior

02-15-09 04:20 PM - Post#58900    

I agree with P38 about Nwachukwu (and Garbage Alley). One odd benefit of Columbia's rash of injuries is that there is less confusion or duplication of roles (as with Nwachukwu last year) or fear of being pulled if you make a mistake (as with Montgomery, discussed earlier in this thread). KJ Matsui got off to a slow start on Friday against Dartmouth, but with so many of Columbia's guards being sick or hobbled, he knew he had time to find his game. Similarly, Miller started to flourish when Bova went down and he didn't have to compete with him for playing time and rebounds. You'd rather have Foley, Scott, and Bova at 100% (not to mention Ampim and Grimes), but at least the guys left standing have responded well to the challenge.

Anyway, time for the Lions to come alive on I-95. Second place is within their reach, and after the last few decades, that would be mighty satisfying.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
02-15-09 04:42 PM - Post#58906    

"Garbage Alley," well, the area around Penn is not so sweet either, but then neither destination is likely to score a high grade for ambience. In any event, the really smelly thing last night was Tommy A's coaching. What the heck was he thinking? As The Lion King so ably pointed out, Tommy A made some odd coaching moves including asking his team to start stalling with almost four minutes left on the clock and Harvard ahead by only four points. Drew Houseman simply dribbled the ball for about twenty-five seconds near midcourt on the first possession before the Crimson made a clock violation. Then he did it again, although Harvard did get off a hurried shot. Houseman and his teammates looked totally bewildered the last four minutes of the game which ended with Harvard attempting a short inbounds pass and 75 foot shot with only four 4.2 seconds left on the clock. Why Harvard didn't pass the ball further down the court is beyond me? Palestra 38, what do you think of Tommy A?

crg 
Freshman

Reg: 02-08-09
02-15-09 06:24 PM - Post#58912    

Amaker is a buffoon.

I was at the Cornell-Harvard game, and its so clear that the guy is clueless.

For one, whenever Cornell would go on a little run, he would instantly call a timeout. I understand the value of trying to kill the opposition's momentum, but he did this every single time Harvard got into trouble. Phil Jackson regularly lets his team play through ruts so they can develop some mental toughness; I think Amaker should consider this.

Second, Harvard went largely with a 2-3 zone. Someone explain to me why any team would want to play a 2-3 zone against a lights out 3 point shooting team, with guys who have deep range and who look to make the extra pass. Cornell went 11-21 from 3.

Kenyi is a great talent, and Amaker doesn't seem to be using him appropriately.

And of course, what Cornell bball fan doesn't remember last year's miracle in Cambridge. Harvard blew a 5 point lead with 27 seconds left.

Amaker can recruit, but he can't coach for crap.

palestra38 
Professor

02-15-09 08:40 PM - Post#58917    

I don't know what to make of a guy who can beat a team that just beat North Carolina and then gets ripped repeatedly in a terrible Ivy League. I guess I lean in the buffoon categorization....but at a certain point the fact that he is allowed to s t r e t c h the rules and recruit talent might overcome his buffoonery.

By the way, I love the neighborhood at CU. I took my daughter (who is first starting to look at colleges) there last weekend and we sat on the steps in the brilliant sun looking out at where I told her I used to make legendary intramural football plays in the mud, and now she wants to go.

The reference to Garbage Alley is strictly made with respect to the alley through which you must approach Levien Gym when attending a game. It is brutal and I have long felt they should open up the 120th Street doors to create a real entrance.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
02-15-09 11:07 PM - Post#58919    
    In response to crg

• Quote:
Amaker is a buffoon.

Nope. That is incorrect.

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
Harv
02-15-09 11:30 PM - Post#58921    
    In response to skiba34

• skiba34 Said:
Truth be told Columbia has been playing some sloppy basketball lately and might easily lose all 4 games.

Ibnsmi, you have taken my comment out of text. My comments state that Columbia has played "SOME" sloppy basketball lately. There is nothing that indicates that they didn't play some good basketball as well.

My point is when you are on the road and getting off to slow starts 24 to 13 (or similar scores)it is much harder to come back from. Please note the slow start at Princeton (on the road) which resulted in disaster.

Columbia will also have the weariness of travel as opposed to home games. Combine that with the injuries and there is a good possibility that they can lose all 4 games. To avoid that they will have to start and play better.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.035 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:37 AM