Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Will Columbia take it all next year?        (Topic#8798)
Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Reg: 11-21-04
03-09-09 11:17 PM - Post#60746    
    In response to Pete Smith

• Pete Smith Said:
I think a lot of people have been overly harsh on the quality of the league this year.

Outside of Brown, which unquestionably lost a lot from last year (and went 3-11 versus 'hopeful memory' 9-5?), everyone else was about the same or maybe a little better. And before you get apoplectic about Penn being historically terrible, I think - and I believe the stats would bear this out - they are 'about the same' as last year.

Pete. The league stunk last year too. So congrats. The league is just as bad this year as last. The fact that the champion went 11-3 instead of 14-0 with absolutely no quality wins (unlike last year when Cornell beat Siena) makes this season even worse. Whether Penn is slightly better than last year or not is irrelevant. It's like discussing shades of cr*p.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-10-09 10:18 AM - Post#60754    
    In response to skiba34

Scott had a better shooting percentage than Matsui this year, but I don't think he's a better 3 point shooter. Matsui hit nearly twice as many 3s as Scott this year. From an opponent's perspective, I'd say that I'd rather see Scott taking 3s than driving, and Matsui should never get an open look from out there. If he does, there's been a breakdown of some kind.

As for the injuries, I still don't see it. Harvard lost their 4 for the season, and he's better than any of your 4s who got hurt (and missed fewer games). Cornell lost their PG for as many games as you lost your PG for, and again, their guy is the better player. Penn lost two starters for the entire season.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-10-09 11:19 AM - Post#60767    
    In response to SomeGuy

• Quote:
Harvard lost their 4 for the season, and he's better than any of your 4s who got hurt (and missed fewer games).

Yeah, using Magnarelli's 2008 stats, his offensive rating of 110.9 would have been 5th in the Ivies, his Off Reb% of 8.8 would have ranked 4th in the Ivies, his Def Reb% of 18.2 would have placed him 5th in the Ivies, his Blk% of 3.2 would have been 12th in the league, and his TS% of 60.5 would have been 3rd in the Ivies.

A pretty massive loss for a team in desperate need of a frontcourt presence...

The Cornell Basketball Blog 
Freshman

Reg: 12-17-08
03-10-09 03:04 PM - Post#60788    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Scott had a better shooting percentage than Matsui this year, but I don't think he's a better 3 point shooter. Matsui hit nearly twice as many 3s as Scott this year. From an opponent's perspective, I'd say that I'd rather see Scott taking 3s than driving, and Matsui should never get an open look from out there. If he does, there's been a breakdown of some kind.

As for the injuries, I still don't see it. Harvard lost their 4 for the season, and he's better than any of your 4s who got hurt (and missed fewer games). Cornell lost their PG for as many games as you lost your PG for, and again, their guy is the better player. Penn lost two starters for the entire season.

Cornell lost Dale for 8 games (9 if you count his brief stint against Minnesota where he was rushed back too soon)).

Gore was out for 20+ games.

Cornell also played this weekend with Reeves (another starter).

Big Red return all five starters (Foote, Tyler, Wittman, Dale and Reeves) plus the top 2 reserves in Wire and Wroblewski (Kreefer the only loss in the 8 man rotation).

Cornell adds Mark Coury and Max Groebe, two guys who the program believes are All-Ivy caliber next season.

Barring health issues, the other 7 teams can begin to make plans for trying to get to the CBI.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-10-09 03:33 PM - Post#60792    
    In response to internetter

• Quote:
Are there any projections for next year's all-Ivy?

First Team All-Ivy 09-10
G Louis Dale
G Geoff Reeves
F Ryan Wittman
F Alex Tyler
C Jeff Foote

Second Team All-Ivy 09-10
G Chris Wroblewski
G Max Groebe
G Adam Wire
F Mark Coury
F Peter McMillan

ROY - Peter McMillan
Co-POYs - Ryan Wittman, Louis Dale and BRF

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Will Columbia take it all next year?
03-10-09 04:40 PM - Post#60799    
    In response to mrjames

Never mind.

Edited by Old Bear on 03-10-09 04:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Freshman

Reg: 12-17-08
03-10-09 05:25 PM - Post#60807    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
  • Quote:
Are there any projections for next year's all-Ivy?

First Team All-Ivy 09-10
G Louis Dale
G Geoff Reeves
F Ryan Wittman
F Alex Tyler
C Jeff Foote

Second Team All-Ivy 09-10
G Chris Wroblewski
G Max Groebe
G Adam Wire
F Mark Coury
F Peter McMillan

ROY - Peter McMillan
Co-POYs - Ryan Wittman, Louis Dale and BRF

Looks good to me.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

03-11-09 10:26 AM - Post#60857    
    In response to mrjames

Did BRF pay this time or are you just bending over out of your own good nature?

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
03-13-09 06:25 PM - Post#61147    
    In response to skiba34

According to The Cornell Basketball Blog all five of Cornell's starters and seven key reserves, including the Rookie of the Year, are returning next season. Then. according to the information on the Blog, Cornell is adding two big-time transfers from the University of Kentucky and Boston University, as well as four or five very promising freshman recruits. If the information on the Blog is correct, and I assume it is, how can anyone reasonably expect a competitive Ivy League race next season?

The Lion King 
Junior

Reg: 11-10-06
03-13-09 09:20 PM - Post#61152    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

No question that Cornell is a strong favorite next year, but they were supposed to be better this year than last, and they won three fewer league games. So you never know. They have a lot of good players on their roster, even after deducting 50% for BRF hype, but they can only put five on the floor at a time.

Here's how I look at it: Columbia has played some close games against Cornell the last few years, though it seems like they haven't won one since the Clinton administration. Suppose that this year they had split with Cornell, and furthermore that they had held on and beaten Penn. That would have left Cornell at 10-4 and Columbia at 9-5.

So if (a) Columbia, with two big-time transfers and two major players coming back healthy, improves a little more than Cornell does, and (b) Columbia finally beats Cornell and gets some lucky breaks in a couple other games, they could manage a tie. I'm not saying all this is likely, but it's not inconceivable.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

03-14-09 11:25 AM - Post#61162    
    In response to The Lion King

Love the optimism King.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

03-14-09 10:21 PM - Post#61184    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

• Columbia 37P6 Said:
According to The Cornell Basketball Blog all five of Cornell's starters and seven key reserves, including the Rookie of the Year, are returning next season. Then. according to the information on the Blog, Cornell is adding two big-time transfers from the University of Kentucky and Boston University, as well as four or five very promising freshman recruits. If the information on the Blog is correct, and I assume it is, how can anyone reasonably expect a competitive Ivy League race next season?

Fortunately for the rest of the League, Cornell can't play 18 all-League players at once - and some poor Big Red stud at the end of the bench may be shut out of Honorable Mention next year.

The Lion King 
Junior

Reg: 11-10-06
Re: optimism
03-14-09 10:54 PM - Post#61185    
    In response to Old Bear

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, Old Bear, but it works either way. When you're a Columbia fan, you learn to be boundlessly and perpetually hopeful, but not to actually believe any of it.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Re: optimism
03-16-09 10:01 AM - Post#61287    
    In response to The Lion King

I do understand.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:30 PM