Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Possible recruit        (Topic#8967)
Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
04-21-09 02:12 PM - Post#62781    

From the Cornell board: NorCalPreps.com reports that Brian Barbour, a 6'0" point guard from Danville, CA, Monte Vista HS has a scholarship offer from Cal-Riverside, but recently visited Columbia. "It was a really good experience. We walked the campus, I met the players and played a little with them. There was a visit to Madison Square Garden and I stayed overnight in a dorm with one of the players."

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
04-21-09 05:09 PM - Post#62789    
    In response to Dr. V

videos of some of his games at
http://www.maxpreps.com/california/basketball /mont...

He's 10.
west coast fan

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Possible recruit
04-24-09 01:16 PM - Post#62840    
    In response to internetter

From the Contra Costa newspaper:

Just got word from Monte Vista boys baskebtall coach Bill Powers that first-team All-East Bay guard Brian Barbour committed to Columbia University of the Ivy League today.

A story will post posted sometime on Friday.

If accurate, this is a very nice get.

Edited by Dr. V on 04-24-09 01:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
Re: Possible recruit
04-24-09 03:15 PM - Post#62842    
    In response to Dr. V

I believe this is true and is very good news. Congratulations to the coaches.

Brian was first team all conference; first team all-metro; first team all Norcal; and all-state, Division I. One recruiting expert rated him as the top unsigned PG in California.

A few articles of interest:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgibin/blogs/sportsev ents/de...

http://norcalpreps.rivals.com/content.aspCID=93621...

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
04-24-09 04:35 PM - Post#62843    
    In response to hoopsfan

The links didn't work for me (Fri., 4:30PM)

Comments in the SF Chron:
Brian Barbour (Monte Vista): The college coaches flocked to Danville when they began to hear about the lanky, 6-1 guard with a high basketball IQ. Barbour averaged 19.7 points per game and rarely took a bad shot for the Mustangs, who won an NCS Division I title

Efficient late-bloomer averaged 19.7 ppg.
west coast fan

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

04-24-09 05:10 PM - Post#62844    
    In response to internetter

April 16, 2009

Kevin McCarthy
NorCalPreps.com

Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board
With recruiting, the general maxim is that a player is pegged by how he performs during his junior season and then summer club team ball. But as always, there are the rulebreakers to any axiom and Monte Vista/Lakeshow backcourter Brian Barbour is such a prime example.

Barbour has always been well thought of -- nice player and great young man -- but he vaulted past admirable with his senior season performance and led Monte Vista to a 28-4 overall record. It was the best in school history which is quite the accomplishment considering the success Coach Bill Powers has enjoyed in his decade and a half or so there. At the end of the year, Powers' Mustangs powered through Castro Valley, San Lorenzo, Newark Memorial, Lowell and Folsom until coming up three points short in a loss to state championship game participant McClymonds. This after another successful spring and summer for Barbour with Joe Fuca's perennial strong Lakeshow club team.

Now Barbour is a hot commodity. "He is the top point guard prospect still available in the state of California," according to Bay Area basketball maven Carl Foster, who is assisting with Barbour's recruiting. Foster added, "I've always admired [Barbour} from afar because he gets his teammates involved. He was enemy number one to our Oakland Soldiers team and we always had trouble with Lakeshow."

The evidence of Barbour's recruiting temperature? Barbour just returned from an official visit to Columbia in New York City. "It was a really good experience. We walked the campus, I met the players and played a little with them. There was a visit to Madison Square Garden and I stayed overnight in a dorm with one of the players."

A Barbour sojourn to St. Mary's in Moraga is upcoming on Friday and Saturday followed by a Sunday-Monday trip down to UC Riverside (the first school that has offered). Fresno State has interest in Barbour as a scholarshipped point guard and San Diego is also doing some checking.

The foremost factor for Barbour's eventual decision will be the quality of the education offered. But he added, "I will also be considering what kind of a relationship I have with the coaches and the players too."

One of the traits always forthcoming from Barhour is humility. To any observer, he was THE catalyst for Monte Vista yet Barbour makes sure his teammates are recognized. "Our big guy Zach Ertz was a monster in the paint all year, Tyrelle Phillips was our x-factor guy doing everything. Taylor Brewster, Mark Appel, all the guys helped."

In an earlier interview, Powers said of his team leader: "...the beauty for our coaching staff is that he is twice the person than he is the player." So you can understand why college head coaches are pursuing this two-fer.

Preps: Top boys teams, a look at Monte Vista and Barbour's lead

2. Monte Vista-Danville (12-0) -- Let's just get this out of the way. Monte Vista guard Brian Barbour is creating more buzz in Bay Area basketball circles than Rex Walters, Mike Montgomery and Patty Mills combined.

I write this one night after former Palo Alto guard Jeremy Lin torched BC for 28 points in an upset win for Harvard. Barbour reminds me of Lin in many ways, especially in the way he was underrecruited. That's beginning to change. WCC schools are starting to take harder looks at Barbour, a 6-foot-1 guard, who doesn't necessarily pass the eyeball test. But the key statistic here is that Barbour wins. He's doing it against great competition at the high school level and he did it this past summer with his AAU squad, the Lakeshow.

I saw the Mustangs beat St. Mary's in last week's Don Bambauer Classic semifinal at Marin Catholic. Barbour played his typical game, never forcing anything. He hit the open three-pointer, got his team into its offense and surprisingly elevated over and around some of St. Mary's exceptionally long and athletic defenders. He missed a three-pointer with three seconds left in the first half, but knew it was off, got his rebound and made the layup to give his team a 42-25 lead at the break. As Monte Vista coach Bill Powers said, "he has the ability to change speeds. The good ones can do that."

I'd be really surprised if Barbour, a guy with a 3.7 GPA supposedly, doesn't end up at Brown, Yale or another Eastern school with ivy growing on its gym. The only question mark he might have is his ball-handling against elite defenders. Chris Brew stripped him once, but Brew probably could get CJ Watson a few times if he practiced with the Warriors.

Monte Vista plays St. Mary's again on MLK Day at Cal and then has its showdown with De La Salle on Jan. 21 in Concord. This is a pretty balanced team, too. Stanford football recruit Zach Ertz is a beast inside. Guard Taylor Brewster can beat you with the jumper, 6-3 forward Tyrelle Phillips has tremendous versatility and JD Nosal, a 6-2 junior, is that role player who can hit the open three, set picks and play tough defense.

Against St. Mary's, the Mustangs employed a 1-2-2 zone defense that didn't allow much penetration. it will be interesting to see what they do against De La Salle, a team that relies heavily on the perimeter game.

With 12 straight victories, including wins over Bellarmine, Moeller-Ohio, Oakland Tech and a good Folsom team, the Mustangs appear to be a favorite to challenge De La Salle and McClymonds in Division I, but it will depend on how they execute and get added production from Barbour's supporting cast.

AndreG 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-28-07
04-24-09 11:40 PM - Post#62855    
    In response to hoopsfan

Thank you Columbia. Finally someone listened. I have been saying for a while Columbia needed to upgrade the point guard position. Although his scouting reports do not prove anything or say how long, if at all he will be ready to contribute. Non the less it gives Columbia a chance to fix their biggest weakness IMO at the PG spot. Hopefully he can do a good job getting teammates some good looks and help continue Columbia's trend of tough defensive players at the guard position.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
04-24-09 11:48 PM - Post#62856    
    In response to hoopsfan

On the videos that internetter mentioned, Brian Barbour appears capable of scoring consistently from the outside as well as on drives to the basket. I liked his left handed lay-up and the Pat Foley-like floater. It's difficult to tell much more about him from the short game videos, but he's probably a very good prospect for Columbia which needs a high scoring point guard like Barbour to back up its often injured senior, Pat Foley. I think this kid is going to do very well at Columbia

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Rivals on Barbour Signing
05-08-09 10:22 AM - Post#63310    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

May 8, 2009

Kevin McCarthy
NorCalPreps.com Analyst

Talk about it in the Message Boards
About 25 years ago, some kid out of Hawaii graduated from Columbia University in New York City. As best we can tell, nobody predicted greatness for the young man, let alone ultimate political triumph. Yes, Barack Obama confounded and surprised many, friends and foes alike. On an obviously much smaller scale and a vastly different terrain, Monte Vista High and MVP/Lakeshow player Brian Barbour -- now headed to Obama's alma mater -- achieved a similar accomplishment in 2008-2009.

Barbour is one of those players who doesn't pass the eye test, the so-called qualifications or prerequisites 'necessary' for on-court success. Yet all he and Bill Powers' basketball squad at Monte Vista (MV) have done is win. The 2008-2009 Mustang 28-4 schedule offers victories over Folsom (twice), Bellarmine Prep, St. Mary's, Archbishop Moeller, Castro Valley, San Leandro and Newark Memorial. In what turned out to be MV's last game of the season, eventual state championship participant McClymonds won by three points.

Barbour first emerged as a 'winner' last summer on the club circuit
Here's Powers on his protégé: "He has the ability to calm everyone around him down, is deceptively quick and has a great understanding about changing speeds. Brian is also a very tough kid. He broke his nose in the first game against Folsom and also had a sprained ankle, tendinitis and a dislocated finger this season. Brian had stitches put in over one eye during the St. Mary's game and then came back to go 8-8 from the foul line."

Powers added, "I am so proud of him, his mixing of talent with hard work. As a person, he's twice as good as he is a player."

Recognition of Barbour began picking up during last summer's MVP/Lakeshow club team play. Here MVP/Lakeshow Coach Joe Fuca on his leader: "It became apparent to the college scouts that we had a real special player last July in the Final 4 of the Three Stripes Adidas tournament in Los Angeles. We were behind by eight points to the LA's 'I Can All Stars' with one minute left and Brian took over the game. He nailed a three-pointer from deep outside the arc, stole the inbounds pass and drove for a layup and got fouled for a three-point play, only to steal the ball on the next possession and go the distance to score. He tied the game and pushed us into overtime. There was no doubt on the circuit afterwards that Brian was a D-1 player."

Fuca continued, "Brian led our team to several big wins on the circuit last summer and the scouts took notice. His ability to lead a team by giving his teammates the ball at the right time, making the steal at the right time, making the big shot, and being reliable at the free throw line in finishing up games is superb.

So why did Barbour go with Columbia? "I really liked the players and the coaching staff. It was a friendly environment. Columbia plays in a tough league and the education is good."

Barbour visited UC Riverside (which resulted in an offer) and made the decision to attend Columbia just prior to tripping to Moraga and St. Mary's, which was then canceled.

When queried about his hoop strengths and weaknesses, Barbour offered, "I have a good basketball IQ, see the floor and I shoot pretty well" about the former and "I want to be a better defender, improving my strength and quickness" on the latter.

Here's Fuca again, "Brian is the classic result of hard work away from the game. He is one of those players who consistently works on his game away from actual games. He spends countless hours in the gym and in working on his speed and agility. In today's era, players have to get better each off season."

So now it is on to playing for Coach Joe Jones on Broadway in the Big Apple.

Plus think about this: having the opportunity to rub elbows with a former President of the United States, among others, during alumni get-togethers. Maybe a Barbour invite to shoot around at the to-be-built White House basketball court will be in the offing plus a comparative take of their respective effect on others around them.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Re: ivals on Barbour Signing
05-08-09 11:37 PM - Post#63325    
    In response to hoopsfan

Basketball-wise, I'm in love.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.212 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:17 AM