Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Hofstra looks tough        (Topic#90)
light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
11-30-04 06:07 PM - Post#389    

Looks like a big challenge for the lions tomorrow. Hofstra has two guards that average better than 18 points per game. They still don't have much of an inside game, as they run a three guard line-up with a PF that plays like a fourth. But Columbia will have to be on its game if they're hoping to get a W in their first road game.

Oh yeah, and Hofstra is 40-17 at home over the last 4 years.

I think this might be a game where Columbia tries to slow it down a little. Though the Lions are deeper (Hofstra barely goes 9 deep), Hofstra wins by running and putting together a few good defensive series. They play a lot like the Lions, which is unsurprising since Jones used to work there with their current coach, who took over in 2000, I think.

I think Columbia can win this game if the following things happen.

1. The Hofstra big men (Kieza, Harris, Uter, Radziejewski) get into foul trouble early. Though the Lions don't really have the front-court to bang inside most of the time, Hofstra is brutal on the interior. If Preston can draw some fouls on Kieza early, the Lions' chances increase dramatically.

2. CU has to get good defensive play out of their guards, and good perimeter D in general. Hofstra is averaging 40% from 3 as a team (granted, only 3 games, and the Lions are better than 38%, but still) and shoots it a lot! I think this means that Land might be getting more time than Nwachukwu, since Land seems a little more comfortable on the perimeter. If Hofstra looks bad from deep in the first half, it should be a good night for the Lions.

3. Guards have to take care of the ball, specifically as they're bringing it up and trying to get the ball down low. Hofstra looks like they are aggressive defensively, and I bet they'll be trying to deny the passes in.

This is a winnable game- CU lost last year on that last second trey. That was pretty lame. I hope the guys shake off the last loss and have some intensity going for this road game. It'll be tough. I think the Lions match up pretty well with these guys, but there is some talent on the Hofstra side.

For the record, Hofstra's stats are inflated because they haven't played top-tier competition (not even close) but this team is going to be really good in a year or two. If they can recruit a decent big guy this summer, they could be a force next year and in 06-07. Of course, there are dozens of teams you can say that about.

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
Hofstra is favored by 11-1/2
12-01-04 02:56 PM - Post#390    
    In response to light blue heavy

And that makes sense, because it takes a lot of Lions to equal a Pride.

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Re: Hofstra is favored by 11-1/2
12-01-04 04:30 PM - Post#391    
    In response to The Lion King

I'd take that number.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
12-01-04 05:41 PM - Post#392    
    In response to columbia92

I'd take it too. Hofstra has to be the favorite, and they did beat LaSalle (at Hofstra). CU might cath them looking ahead- their first conference game is this weekend.

Is anyone thinking of going to this game? Also, is anyone else freaked out that its already december? Whoa!

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
12-01-04 05:53 PM - Post#393    
    In response to light blue heavy

Also, just looking at the Hofstra stats- they shoot 58% from the line. Only one player (Aguido) shoots better than 60%, and Stokes (who has taken 1/3 of the FTAs this year) is only shooting 55%. Of course, sample size matters (I doubt Preston is gonna shoot under 75% from the line) but if this game stays close, that could make a huge difference.

And Hofstra has 4 guys 6'8" or taller coming in next year. Yikes! Pecora is putting together quite a program.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.202 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:40 AM