Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Biggest problem for Columbia        (Topic#9405)
AndreG 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-28-07
10-31-09 12:01 PM - Post#67103    

After checking out last years statistics. It became painfully clear that Columbia is a poor shooting team. While that may not be a surprise, I was surprised to see how bad. From behind the Arc, Foley shot only 20%, while Columbia's top two bench guards Bulger and Egge shot a unbelievable low of 17 and 9%. Even with Scott shooting in the 40's and Agho improving as Dr.V has stated, who else does Columbia have? If the statement in the other thread is true that it doesn't appear none of the underclassman has improved. Combine that with losing Matsui and Bova, who were decent shooters, how is Columbia going to make outside shots? This will lead to the inside players always being double teamed. This sounds like a recipe for disaster. The defense can only go so far in helping Columbia win. I see this as the biggest problem facing Columbia. Just my opinion.

CU.LIONS 
Senior

Reg: 03-03-07
Biggest problem for Columbia
10-31-09 08:38 PM - Post#67106    
    In response to AndreG

Hard to argue with that Andre. One way to solve that is to rely more on players like Scott and Agho. Both players are also Complete players in that they also drive well to the basket and play defense as good as anyone. Also Foley, while never being a great 3 point shooter, will probably have a better year from the outside with a healthy foot. With those 3 guards Columbia can compete with anyone I feel. But it's when any of those 3 get in foul trouble is when problems may start.

After that one can only hope someone steps up and becomes a surprise shooter. Matt Johnson, or Masse perhaps.

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
11-01-09 03:16 PM - Post#67114    
    In response to CU.LIONS

Shooting is definitely a big problem. And Jones definitely relies too much on offensively challenged players. But if you ask me, when was the last time Columbia actually had a fast break? Columbia has about 3 fast breaks in 5 years and Asenso Ampim probably has 3 of them.

Teams that are good on defense usuually find the opportunities to run. That makes it all the stranger considering that Columbia has been solid on defense.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
11-01-09 03:19 PM - Post#67115    
    In response to CU.LIONS

Wow, those numbers from Andre are revealing. I knew Bulger has trouble hitting the three, but Steve Egee's nine percent is a surprise. Funny thing is that they are both very good athletes and Bulger has that little floater from near the foul line that won the Harvard game. Let's hope they improve significantly on their outside shots this season. I might add that the Lions have so many guards with "potential" that it would not surprise me if one or two of them makes the final rotation and emerges as a star. For example, Matt Johnson didn't do much last year as a freshman, but he can pass and shot the ball very well and, after all, the guy is 6'7." Then there is Chris Crockett, who also didn't do much as a freshman, but he has that great speed and athleticism that you look for in a point guard. After all, Matt Preston did virtually nothing his first year at Columbia before going on to becoming the team's best player the next three years.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
11-02-09 08:16 PM - Post#67188    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Everyone is correct. Unless someone steps up as a shooter we could be heavily reliant on Niko and Agho. One possibility is Mase who has a beautiful shot and is very athletic. He was not ready for this level of competition when he arrived last year plus he was nicked up all year, including suffering a concussion. I have heard he is already nicked up this year which is too bad. If healthy he could keep the defense honest. Brian Barbour is also a good shooter but I don't know if the rest of his game is ready. Next year we will add two very good shooters in Frankoski and Starks plus will have Agho and a more experienced Barbour. I do think Egee will improve this year and I hear our new PF Daniels can also hit the three.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
11-04-09 12:45 PM - Post#67254    
    In response to hoopsfan

I think the offense will have to be Agho/Nico/Foley/Grimes and getting the ball into the bigs for some lay ins.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.259 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:45 AM