Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Drexel        (Topic#25701)
Eric Von Zipper 
Senior

Reg: 11-11-17
12-04-21 09:17 AM - Post#330549    

Looks to open Princeton -3 1/2 O/U 141

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Drexel
12-04-21 11:04 AM - Post#330553    
    In response to Eric Von Zipper

One common opponent - FDU and Drexel beat them by 21 pts at home although it was a 3 pt game with 10 minutes left. Some similarities to Hofstra as to height and style of play but not as good as Hofstra -- I think.

It will probably come down to how hard and good does Princeton play defensively. Tigers are certainly inconsistent on defensive end. Defense is often a function of effort along with skill level although Tigers always seem to need work as to technique. Body position and arm/hands placement on defense and the difference between the men and women is pronounced. Tiger women made the final key takeaway with 20 seconds left against FDU based on arm and hand positioning.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
12-04-21 06:51 PM - Post#330615    
    In response to bradley

Going to OT after a Langborg 3, his 5th of the day, tied it at 71. Tigers ran the same play they always run (the Brad Stevens play) and Drexel didn’t expect it apparently

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
Drexel
12-04-21 07:12 PM - Post#330628    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Tigers escape with an 81-79 win! They claw back after going down 6 to start OT. Tosan with 27 and the game winner. Tigers defense on the perimeter really stepped up late and clamped down hard on Cam Wynter for Drexel, who had 18 but really struggled to get anything going late in the game.

Very impressive game for Langborg today, showed a lot on both ends today

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Drexel
12-04-21 07:13 PM - Post#330629    
    In response to bradley

WHAT A WIN! Great response after a disappointing 3 games (even the FDU win wasn't encouraging). Somehow I'm an even bigger fan of Tosan Evbuomwan now - he's got that clutch gene! And I'm glad he called this non-conf game a "must win" in the post-game interview. They really needed this to get back their swag.

Bad internet kept me from watching the first half, but from what I saw, the effort was MUCH better today. Even if they had lost, the # of TOs forced and offensive boards make it clear they were hustling. That hustle allowed them to overcome a lot of layups barely rolled off the rim and on-line but short jumpers. Speaking of which...

Checking in across the whole league, I'm convinced that stamina/conditioning is catching up with all the Ivies right now. Did we really think that taking 20 months off with ZERO competitive basketball wouldn't hurt us? Good news is that conference play will (obviously) nullify that disadvantage.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-04-21 07:24 PM - Post#330630    
    In response to gokinsmen

Much better defense in the second half especially towards the end of regulation time. Tosan is a player -- simple as that --- his stat sheet reflects his all around player. Lanborg does have a pure shooting stroke.

I agree that not playing in 20 months has repercussions not only on the court but there was a loss of talent that has not been replaced. ADs and coaches should have tried much harder to make the case to play last year like every other conference for sure. But, I believe that IL men's teams and a few women's teams have less talent than 2 or 3 years ago although time will tell.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Drexel
12-04-21 07:41 PM - Post#330633    
    In response to bradley

Yeah, I'm happy to see Schweiger and Desrosiers having very nice seasons for their respective transfer teams. On the other hand, it makes you wonder how good we could be with either or both of those guys on the court.

One big problem Mitch seems to be having is a lack of 3pt shooting bigs/forwards. You can't take Tosan off the court for long, so that's one non-shooter on the court. And none of the other F/Cs are solid shooters either.

So you have Friberg defending PFs (which has taken a toll on his offense) or Tosan taking (and missing) an occasional 3.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-04-21 10:04 PM - Post#330654    
    In response to gokinsmen

If the D doesn’t improve dramatically for Ivy play, this is a team that will rack up occasional great wins against top contenders offset by unexpected losses to lower tier teams. I see us as 8-6 or at best 9-5 in Ivy play and a long shot for the Tourney (which I still hate) to determine NCAA representative.

But, GO TIGERS!

bradley 
PhD Student

12-04-21 11:02 PM - Post#330656    
    In response to Tiger69

Fundamental flaw regarding the defense is playing 3 guards who are not particularly good defenders especially as to preventing guards driving to the basket. It certainly helps the offense but Tovan and Friberg are not big or strong enough to shore up the back line. It may be worthwhile to go with Tovan and Kellman on the backside with the three guards and Friberg coming off the bench. Alternative is to go with 2 guards along with Tovan, Kellman or Hooks and Friberg. Tovan, Friberg and Schwieger may have been the ideal back line.

As to how will the Tigers fare during the IL season -- who knows as the Il teams does not appear to be very good with perhaps no dominant team although time will tell. Tigers are probably going to have to outscore the competition.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

12-05-21 12:44 AM - Post#330659    
    In response to bradley

I think where we're getting killed is pick-and-roll switches. With the exception of Tosan, none of our bigs are mobile enough to stay with speedy, driving guards. Put any other big in a PnR and the opposing guard can usually get all the way to the rim.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-05-21 05:10 AM - Post#330662    
    In response to gokinsmen

Haven’t seen the Drexel replay yet, but in previous games opponents were getting straight-line drives or open threes against our perimeter defenders. No ball screens needed. The only times the Tigers could get enough stops to gain on the opposition were when they applied ball pressure and gambled to get deflections and steals.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
12-05-21 09:09 AM - Post#330667    
    In response to SRP

Drove up from Baltimore for the game, and sat behind Tiger's bench.

I thought the game had been lost at several points. Still can't believe Drexel blew leads twice at and of regulation and OT. They seemed to lose their way at both ends of the court.

The Tigers desperately needs Kellman. The bench scored only 4 points, and played only 46 minutes, of which 31 were Allocco.

BTW Allocco is a fierce competitor and already a team leader on the bench. During timeouts, when the five on-court players sit, he is on his feet facing them and exhorting them, while the coaches huddle.

I agree this is a 9-5 Ivy team at best. Not enough muscle.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
12-05-21 01:11 PM - Post#330669    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Such a pleasure to read these posts from obvious great basketball minds. A 30-point second half is an excellent showing by the defense, best in previous 4 games for sure. Seven turnovers are the season low, a tribute to Llewellyn's ball handling skills. Henderson asks a lot from Jaelin and Tosan at both ends and it can't be any other way. The other night Jaelin did a very good job against Brandon Rush in the second half and tonight was assigned to Wynter. One's offense has to suffer under those circumstances. Henderson acknowledged that several of his players suffered from what seemed to be a campus-wide common cold wave, making it difficult to get quality practice time. He is not an excuse maker but all should be aware of the issue, which may be over now. Friberg's limitations in the last two games were definitely related to his physical problems. His return last night was welcome. Tosan's game was phenomenal, especially when you realize that Butler (along with Wynter) is a preseason all-conference pick. He could not do much with Tosan and eventually fouled out. Allocco is fearless and will definitely help the defense. He took a shot to the face which should have been a flagrant in my view but was not called. The Butler offensive foul on Bell in the final minute of OT was HUGE...could have gone either way. A little home cooking perhaps. We give up too many points, I admit, but when you play at the pace Henderson prefers, even insists upon, that is the inevitable result. We'll be OK if we can use an 8- or 9-man rotation which will require that we avoid injuries and foul trouble. A tough needle to thread for sure. If this team goes 8-6 I don't see how it does not reach the Ivy tourney. Kellman is a particular favorite of mine. I remember being at the FOPB golf tourney on the same day Kellman committed to the Tigers. Henderson was absolutely thrilled. His problem seems to be a tendency to put the ball on the floor, making him vulnerable to double-teams and causing turnovers. He started 4 straight games but is now deep on the bench. I think he played himself there. Wright is a pretty good rebounder without "much muscle."

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
12-05-21 01:33 PM - Post#330670    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I thought Kellman was injured....

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-05-21 08:08 PM - Post#330690    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Brief. intervals of Kellman have impressed me. Hooks too, though more on offense.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.012 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:51 AM