Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Username Post: Clay Wilson to Princeton        (Topic#10769)
Dial Lodge 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-08-07
05-21-11 07:06 PM - Post#105451    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
It troubles me that this information (one's ACT score) is so apparently easy to find. Did Mr. Wilson publicize it? If there is such a thing as privacy left in this world, I don't think that one's test scores should be out there on the internet for everyone's entertainment.

Wilson's grades and SAT scores would only be made public if he chose to make them so (unless someone really screwed up).

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Clay Wilson to Princeton
05-21-11 07:13 PM - Post#105452    
    In response to Dial Lodge

I'd agree. I mean, I know we're all Ivy nerds here, but getting a 28 on your ACT is something most students (esp. student-athletes) and their parents would actively and publicly want to brag about -- that's 92nd percentile. Hardly an "embarrassing" revelation.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Re: Clay Wilson to Princeton
05-22-11 09:52 PM - Post#105468    
    In response to gokinsmen

Another report on Wilson's recommittment:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Li...

• Quote:
Wilson, who averaged 27 points as a senior in 2010-11, recommitted to Princeton after talking to new coach Mitch Henderson.

"I'm glad it all worked out because Princeton is where I've wanted to go," Wilson said. "I like the school and I like the new coach."

Wilson said he visited College of Charleston and the University of Tulsa during the past month.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
05-24-11 05:15 PM - Post#105534    
    In response to gokinsmen

You predicted it again.

Isn't the obvious explanation here that he decommitted when the coach who he thought he was going to play for left? And then recommitted either based on getting comfortable with the Henderson regime (the positive spin) or because his other opportunities had dried up (the not so positive spin)?

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Clay Wilson to Princeton
05-24-11 07:21 PM - Post#105535    
    In response to SomeGuy

Well, it sounds like there might have been an AI issue as well. Probably a combination of all three factors. Personally, I figured he would either recommit or go to Tulsa. Even if Tulsa offered him a scholarship, I still think he made the right decision. Not only because of the Princeton degree, but because of the specific situation. With the team losing Mavraides and Bray & Hazel not yet having emerged as scoring threats, there's minutes to be had for Wilson as an underclassman.

Also, as eye-popping as he was in high school, Wilson played against very weak-looking competition. So moving up to Conference USA and competing for minutes on a top C-USA team could be too jarring. Can't underestimate the difficulty of the D-I transition -- even Harrison Barnes and Perry Jones had their growing pains. In the Ivy, Wilson will have a much smoother transition and a far better chance to make a big impact.

And hey, Princeton beat Tulsa on the road last year so...

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
05-24-11 08:08 PM - Post#105536    
    In response to gokinsmen

I guess that there is no end of possible scenarios, and we shall probably never know the full story. But, just for fun, my wild conjecture, given the delayed notice of Wilson's acceptance, is that someone tipped off Wilson (Johnson?) that his admission was not certain at about the same time that Sydney decided to look around for another position. In order to avoid possible embarrassment, Wilson then decommitted, using Sidney's subsequent departure as an excuse, so he could test the waters and/or look around for a backup option. U finally came through with an acceptance and Wilson was happy, having found no greener pastures elsewhere.
As for Sidney, if the U had told him that it couldn't guarantee a spot for a player long assumed in the fold, Sydney would have had an additional reason to consider opportunities elsewhere.

How's that for a conspiracy theory, Penn colleagues?

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
05-24-11 08:50 PM - Post#105537    
    In response to Tiger69

Why wouldnt they admit Wilson just to try to keep Johnson there?

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Clay Wilson to Princeton
05-24-11 10:41 PM - Post#105545    
    In response to cornellfan4

I doubt any one player (not even Hubert) would be a deal-breaker. But losing out on Hubert AND jeopardizing Wilson's admission (both possibly due to a couple ACT points) AND missing out on Hyland because of a snobbish no-transfer rule...now that's frustrating. Combine that with a generous salary at a program on the rise and it was see-ya time.

Dial Lodge 
Sophomore

Reg: 03-08-07
05-25-11 12:09 PM - Post#105563    
    In response to gokinsmen

Gang -

We don't know the whole story - it's simply conjecture.

The stories in the press about him gaining admission could be tied to something a bit more simple: Princeton's admissions offer expired on May 1 for all admitted students (assuming he was given one earlier). To get admitted after that date, he would have to get the admissions office to accept him again, which they are permitted to do for special cases.

But unless someone has more inside info, we won't know. He's coming, and personally, I think that Princeton is a better college choice than is Tulsa.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
05-25-11 07:51 PM - Post#105570    
    In response to Dial Lodge

• Dial Lodge Said:

I think that Princeton is a better college choice than is Tulsa.

Unless he wants to be a Petroleum Engineer.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Clay Wilson to Princeton
06-13-11 10:02 PM - Post#105928    
    In response to gokinsmen

Some new Clay Wilson highlights from a charity invitational (Oklahoma All-Stars vs. Texas All-Stars):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubBA3gESO_A

As Jon Solomon noted, Wilson led his team with 21 pts (5-8 from deep) and was voted game MVP (108-97 OK win). I like the quick-release 3 he hits around the :20 mark. Just an all-star game, but it's good to see Wilson excelling against much higher quality competition than he's used to (lots of D-I and BCS players participated).

Also, here's Henderson's comments on the incoming class members from the official website:

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...

Page 5 of 5 « First<2345
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.448 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:41 AM