Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 9 « First<3456>» Last
Username Post: Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits        (Topic#10838)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-30-10 04:52 PM - Post#88009    
    In response to puband09

Sort of. I mean, for Koon it's a great honor obviously. But for a D-I college program, it doesn't mean much. There's 1000+ boys' nominees every year -- Northfield Mount Hermon had five alone last year. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could be that good at anything. But it encompasses everyone from Harrison Barnes to low-major 3rd stringers.

It's nice that one of our non-buzzed-about recruits got the honor, though.

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
10-30-10 04:58 PM - Post#88010    
    In response to gokinsmen

I don't recall Princeton getting any of these in the past few years though, which leads me to think its pretty good.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-30-10 05:12 PM - Post#88011    
    In response to puband09

The awards that should raise an eyebrow are things like Bray winning Mr. Basketball for all of Wisconsin. Or Hummer winning Gatorade Player of the Year for the entire DC Area.

Those are rare honors that can get you excited. McD noms ain't bad, and it's a great high school honor, but it doesn't mean much at the next level.

Jon Solomon 
T.A.
Jon Solomon
Loc: Mercer County, NJ
Reg: 11-22-04
10-30-10 08:57 PM - Post#88020    
    In response to puband09

• puband09 Said:
I don't recall Princeton getting any of these in the past few years though, which leads me to think its pretty good.

T.J. Bray, Daniel Edwards and Ben Hazel were three of the 1,260 nominees for the 2010 McDonald’s All-American high School Basketball Boys Team.
http://www.princetonbasketball.com

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
Re: Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-31-10 12:21 PM - Post#88042    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
  • mrjames Said:
Well, let's get these rules clear. A booster can have a conversation with a prospective recruit about his experience, it's just that the player must initiate the call of his own volition. The booster can't call, and it can't be set up by the staff or institution. But if the player wants to talk to a former player or institution member, by all means that is allowed.

Okay. But even that seems like a pointless, unenforceable rule.

"You know, Desmond, we had a big man like yourself named Chris Young. He was so dominant in our league that he got serious NBA interest."

"Oh yeah?"

"Uh-huh. Man, if you could only talk to him, he would tell you just how great Princeton was..."

Iowa self-reports recruits meeting stars
"DES MOINES, Iowa -- The University of Iowa has told the NCAA the school allowed two basketball recruits to meet celebrity Hawkeye fans Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore. Such a meeting would be a recruiting violation.

The Des Moines Register reports Sunday that the recruits met the married movie stars along with two former Iowa basketball players at an Iowa-Iowa State football game in September.

NCAA rules prohibit recruits from contact with individuals considered to represent a university's athletic interests.

Senior associate athletic director Mark Abbott says the school reported the matter to the NCAA after an internal investigation. A school spokesman didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press."

I guess you werent the only one with the idea to get recruits to meet celebrity fans

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-31-10 03:45 PM - Post#88056    
    In response to cornellfan4

Ha, thanks for that.

Still, to me there's a clear difference between having a recruit talk to former *players* who are alums and something like this -- where it's clearly just silly celebrity schmoozing. Even then, though, who cares? Every school has its big shots. Unless they're buying you stuff or inviting you to swanky parties/dinners/etc. I don't see how/why you police these things.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-31-10 03:51 PM - Post#88057    
    In response to gokinsmen

Meanwhile, Hubert apparently had a great visit to Maryland:

http://twitter.com/scoutsfocus/status/29 231835040
http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/statu s/29219967...

Gulp. Not good. But who really knows -- the Andre Hollins thing taught us the worth of Twitter speculation. Not that I actually think we're a frontrunner, here.

besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
10-31-10 03:53 PM - Post#88058    
    In response to gokinsmen

Are you suggesting the NCAA may be inefficient/ineffectual in its attempts to accurately and consistently regulate its members?!?

puband09 
Masters Student

10-31-10 03:57 PM - Post#88059    
    In response to gokinsmen

[quote=gokinsmenhttp://tw itter.com/scoutsfocus/status/29 231835040
http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/statu s/29219967...

It's not like he's going to walk around Maryland saying "this sucks" on his recruiting visit. It's obvious from teh Googles that Maryland, its fans, and the press that cover it, are creaming their pants, hoping that Hubert goes there, so I wouldn't chock this up to anything more than Marylandian anxiety.

Has he even visited Princeton yet? From what I've heard, he doesn't seem like the type to make a final decision before he's visited all his prospects.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

10-31-10 03:57 PM - Post#88060    
    In response to besnoah

I think they dont allow any contact because if you allow them to talk it is hard to know if they bought the recruit stuff or made promises. It is easier to just ban mostly all contact.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

10-31-10 04:30 PM - Post#88064    
    In response to puband09

• puband09 Said:
so I wouldn't chock this up to anything more than Marylandian anxiety.

Didn't hear anything like that after his Wake Forest visit, though. That's why I have an eye-brow slightly raised. I just hope he goes through all his visits.

It seems to me that one way in which an Ivy can match or even outshine a BCS is official visits. The beautiful campus, the history and prestige, the intelligence of the coaching staff and players. And since it's close by in NJ, Hubert's parents can easily come with him -- a big plus for us.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

10-31-10 04:36 PM - Post#88065    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
  • puband09 Said:
so I wouldn't chock this up to anything more than Marylandian anxiety.

Didn't hear anything like that after his Wake Forest visit, though. That's why I have an eye-brow slightly raised. I just hope he goes through all his visits.

It seems to me that one way in which an Ivy can match or even outshine a BCS is official visits. The beautiful campus, the history and prestige, the intelligence of the coaching staff and players. And since it's close by in NJ, Hubert's parents can easily come with him -- a big plus for us.

You are really reaching here, the intelligence of the coaching staff? as if Maryland is run by a bunch of idiots??

The season cannot start soon enough, I am sick of all this recruiting talk

puband09 
Masters Student

10-31-10 04:36 PM - Post#88066    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
Didn't hear anything like that after his Wake Forest visit, though.

My point was that, even before his visit to Maryland, all you would see if you Googled "Desmond Hubert" was Rivals/ESPN style recruiting profiles and stuff about how much Maryland wants/needs him. It follows from that that there would be more Maryland-based buzz about his visit there as well.

• gokinsmen Said:
And since it's close by in NJ, Hubert's parents can easily come with him

If there's one thing an 18-year-old boy is looking for in a college, it's being a 30 minute drive from mommy.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

10-31-10 04:37 PM - Post#88067    

• phillysportsfan Said:
I think they dont allow any contact because if you allow them to talk it is hard to know if they bought the recruit stuff or made promises. It is easier to just ban mostly all contact.

It's just a never-ending grey area to me. Even "contact" can be a grey area. The current rules don't seem to stop wrongdoing -- they simply reward the sneakiest and slimiest. If nothing else, I'd rather have a level playing field where everyone is allowed to be a shark. At least there's some transparency that way. You can hide one or two dinners and Knicks tickets...you can't hide a dozen.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

10-31-10 04:38 PM - Post#88068    
    In response to puband09

• puband09 Said:
If there's one thing an 18-year-old boy is looking for in a college, it's being a 30 minute drive from mommy.

Ha, true. Although if there's one thing a grown man is always scared of, it's his mommy.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

10-31-10 04:38 PM - Post#88069    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
  • phillysportsfan Said:

It's just a never-ending grey area to me. Even "contact" can be a grey area. The current rules don't seem to stop wrongdoing -- they simply reward the sneakiest and slimiest. If nothing else, I'd rather have a level playing field where everyone is allowed to be a shark. At least there's some transparency that way. You can hide one or two dinners and Knicks tickets...you can't hide a dozen.

Yeah but if you allow everyone to be a shark what are guys like Calimari going to do?

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

10-31-10 04:49 PM - Post#88071    

• phillysportsfan Said:
You are really reaching here, the intelligence of the coaching staff? as if Maryland is run by a bunch of idiots??

I'm just saying that coaches like SJ and Brian Earl are especially intelligent, well-spoken guys. That's not a given at every program and it can only help when pitching "Why Princeton?" And that it's good to show Hubert and especially his family that you can have players who actually go to class, do their own work, and major in real subjects...all while playing competitive D-I ball.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-31-10 05:33 PM - Post#88074    
    In response to gokinsmen

Hey, we can buy elections anonymously with 501(c)(4)s. Why not basketball recruits?

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
11-02-10 05:11 PM - Post#88145    
    In response to Tiger69

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/11/01/carter-hub ert-s...

Desmond Hubert "probably" visiting Princeton this weekend. Good luck and godspeed, SJ & Co.! We're the Ivy favorite this year and a leading contender next year. But if we land someone like Hubert, we can weather the coming Crimson storm for the next few.

puband09 
Masters Student

11-03-10 01:12 AM - Post#88162    
    In response to gokinsmen

That blog sounded more unbiased than all the Twitter buzz surrounding his recruiting trip this past weekend. His quote doesn't sound quite as Maryland-happy as the Twittersphere would have had you believe.

Page 3 of 9 « First<3456>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.3 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:46 PM