Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 6 <2345>
Username Post: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell        (Topic#13262)
norcalfan 
Junior

Reg: 03-19-08
Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-04-12 10:31 PM - Post#124010    
    In response to Bison137

See previous message

Edited by norcalfan on 03-04-12 10:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bucknell73 
Senior

Reg: 10-09-07
03-04-12 10:40 PM - Post#124014    
    In response to Bison137

It's still difficult for me to imagine being s student and lining up for tickets! I just remember walking down to Davis and just walking in for General Admission, even during my frosh year, just to see Jim Wherry and Vic Cegles play. Of course, there wasn't as much at stake in the old Middle Atlantic/ East Coast Conference.

Speaking of Cegles (now AD at Long Beach State), LBS saw its long Conference win streak end this weekend by a defeat by Cal State Fullerton. Now, they face more pressure to win out their tourney.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-04-12 11:03 PM - Post#124019    
    In response to norcalfan

• norcalfan Said:
I am not hurt, just sad for the players. In my rush to answer the question, I was not clear. I was simply saying that it is Spring Break and therefore less students will attend because there are none.

Yes, LU had and has great players, but for whatever reason, no one in the LU community is interested. Honestly, I was surprised that they had over 1000 in attendance at this game. Lack of attendance must make it hard to play hard. So far they have done well with no fan support. I can only imagine how much better they would play if they had the attendance of BU. Many of their players come from a rather large high school support base.

I live near Lehigh/Lafayette and get a local paper (Express Times) High school sports, especially wrestling but also HS hoops dominate at this time of year. Usually, LU and LC appear somewhere inside the sports section. Today, they were on the front page (bottom half)which is quite rare. No wonder no one goes to Stabler. LC draws a little better because students and locals can walk. But HS sports rule the Lehigh Valley.

norcalfan 
Junior

03-05-12 12:04 AM - Post#124026    
    In response to Bison54

• Bison54 Said:
  • norcalfan Said:
I am not hurt, just sad for the players. In my rush to answer the question, I was not clear. I was simply saying that it is Spring Break and therefore less students will attend because there are none.

Yes, LU had and has great players, but for whatever reason, no one in the LU community is interested. Honestly, I was surprised that they had over 1000 in attendance at this game. Lack of attendance must make it hard to play hard. So far they have done well with no fan support. I can only imagine how much better they would play if they had the attendance of BU. Many of their players come from a rather large high school support base.

I live near Lehigh/Lafayette and get a local paper (Express Times) High school sports, especially wrestling but also HS hoops dominate at this time of year. Usually, LU and LC appear somewhere inside the sports section. Today, they were on the front page (bottom half)which is quite rare. No wonder no one goes to Stabler. LC draws a little better because students and locals can walk. But HS sports rule the Lehigh Valley.

Thank goodness they enjoyed high school at least. Thanks for the explanation since I am from the left coast. It still bewilders me that with little fan support, LU could land a CJ!

sader87 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-10
03-05-12 12:40 AM - Post#124029    
    In response to norcalfan

Basically, the only school/community that really cares about PL basketball is Bucknell's.

HC cared for a bit during the Willard years but couldn't care less about PL basketball now.

norcalfan 
Junior

03-05-12 12:57 AM - Post#124030    
    In response to sader87

• sader87 Said:
Basically, the only school/community that really cares about PL basketball is Bucknell's.

HC cared for a bit during the Willard years but couldn't care less about PL basketball now.

Yes it appears so. The one good and I guess most important is that the PL schools offer the young men and women a free and excellent education. At the end of the day, that's what helps them to become productive citizens. The few fans that do support the other schools will continue and BU can continue their proud tradition. Good for BU, sad for the other PL schools. It will be interesting to see how many kids are recruited from different regions over the next few years. Now that I am dialed into the PL, it will be a nice stat to watch.

Edited by norcalfan on 03-05-12 12:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-05-12 09:02 AM - Post#124039    
    In response to norcalfan

I know each school has its supporters academically, but the truth is, each school in the PL offers an excellent education. Some are thought of a bit more highly, but it is hard to go wrong with any of these schools. That said, I would think the amount of support for a team is a definite consideration when prospective players are choosing where to go. It may not be a major reason, but it certainly could be the tipping point for a player considering several schools. Factor in facilities, administration support, and recent successes, and Bucknell becomes probably the most desirable choice. With a decent coaching staff, the Bison should always be challenging for the PL title.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-05-12 01:26 PM - Post#124102    
    In response to norcalfan

Nice Daily Item article by Bill Bowman, looking ahead to the highly-anticipated Lehigh-Bucknell finale.
http://dailyitem.com/0200_sports/x11251059 02/Mens-...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-05-12 01:29 PM - Post#124103    
    In response to MouserDZ

• MouserDZ Said:
And four hours after they went on sale, only 2 remain. Oops..in the time it took me to write that, make it ONE remaining.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-05-12 01:39 PM - Post#124106    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Now sold out (again) - at least for the moment. LU will not sell the allocation they still have, however, so there may be more available Wednesday.

I have access to some tickets. If anyone still needs to purchase some, send me a PM. (Click on my user-name and then click on "start a private topic".)

raymondbucknell 
Junior

Reg: 02-05-07
03-05-12 05:09 PM - Post#124173    
    In response to Bison137

Gee, I wonder if Housenick will pick Lehigh to win.....?

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-05-12 05:20 PM - Post#124180    
    In response to raymondbucknell

Sagarin ranks Lehigh #97 and Bucknell #105...with home court, however, it indicates the Bison are a 2.9-point favorite.

Neither realtimerpi nor rpiforecast have a prediction for this game. Does anyone know KenPom's?

Edited by BisonRoadWarrior on 03-05-12 05:37 PM. Reason for edit: corrected Sagarin math

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-05-12 05:36 PM - Post#124193    

Pomeroy has BU as a 3 point favorite - slightly less than the value of the home court.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-05-12 07:11 PM - Post#124241    
    In response to Bison137

This game is an out and out tossup. You do not have to be crazy or an LU advocate to pick LU to win. If we show up with anything other than our best, LU will win.

I am not sure which team is the more highly motivated, but that will be key as well. You know last year's Super Bowl Champ always says they are no less motivated this year, but somehow more often than not they do not repeat. This is not the same thing, but sometimes the motivation created by just getting aced out one year can exceed the motivation of just wanting to get back.

It all comes down to what DP said in the postgame on Saturday. The Bison have to actively, aggressively make it happen, they can't sit back waiting for it to happen. If we are the aggressor, we should be ok. Slow start could be fatal.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
Re: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-05-12 07:56 PM - Post#124253    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Sagarin ranks Lehigh #97 and Bucknell #105...with home court, however, it indicates the Bison are a 2.9-point favorite.

Neither realtimerpi nor rpiforecast have a prediction for this game. Does anyone know KenPom's?

While rpiforecast does not have a score prediction, it does list BU as 59.94% chance to get the auto bid and LU as 40.04% chance. At this point I am very happy with anything over 50-50 which is where I am leaning when looking at this game.
Ray Bucknell!

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
03-05-12 10:11 PM - Post#124296    
    In response to atlantabison

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/cb-gOwL4wmrLFN7 gVaAV...

Paulsen interview re PL championsip game

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-05-12 10:39 PM - Post#124320    
    In response to KenZ

I remember many days back in the late 80's and early 90's where Davis Gym, that sat 2200, was more than half empty for competitive league games.

I think interest and passion are somewhat cyclical.

That said, if Colgate wins the PL Championship, and there is no one there to see, does anyone make a sound?

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-05-12 11:01 PM - Post#124327    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
sometimes the motivation created by just getting aced out one year can exceed the motivation of just wanting to get back.

True...and in the American-Lafayette broadcast, they quoted McCollum as saying that the loss in last year's semifinal was fueling him all season long.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-06-12 08:28 AM - Post#124388    

Watched 4 championship games last night, and every one went down to the wire, 2 went to OT, and 1 to double ot. No reason not to expect a similar game on Wednesday night.

Go get it Bison, no sitting back on your heels!

mattie g 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
Re: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-06-12 10:01 AM - Post#124407    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • bison63 Said:
sometimes the motivation created by just getting aced out one year can exceed the motivation of just wanting to get back.

True...and in the American-Lafayette broadcast, they quoted McCollum as saying that the loss in last year's semifinal was fueling him all season long.

I saw McCollum say "one more" to one of the Lehigh players who was subbed out near the end of the game. I know Lehigh is motivated and has arguably the best player this league has seen in some time, but we'll have a lot to say about what happens tomorrow.

I agree that this game is a toss up, but if we play the kind of defense we did against Lafayette then I can't see us not winning this game. That's a big "if," of course, but I think we're in a really good offensive rhythm and will do our job on that end of the floor. Defense will be the thing that will determine the champion.

Page 2 of 6 <2345>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.139 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:20 AM