Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell        (Topic#13262)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-07-12 10:22 PM - Post#124900    
    In response to bisonfan

I know...what was with that baseball pass?! I think it was 4.1 seconds.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
03-07-12 10:26 PM - Post#124901    
    In response to bisonfan

Hats off to Lehigh. My view one of the best played (and officiated) PL games ever. Both teams were playing at a very high level. CJ was just too good. He had defenders all over him and he hit some just plain rediculous shots. BU had a chance to score at the end and win it. I agree with Cleeves that they just seemed to rush it.
Ray Bucknell!

Bucknell73 
Senior

Reg: 10-09-07
03-07-12 10:30 PM - Post#124905    
    In response to atlantabison

I agree. Lehigh deserved this win. Hats off to Moose -- he played his heart out.

mattie g 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
03-07-12 10:33 PM - Post#124906    
    In response to Bucknell73

Ugh. This hurts.

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
Re: Baseball Pass
03-07-12 10:57 PM - Post#124912    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

We needed at least a half court pass to a shooter as LU would have immediately fouled a player who took a dribble or two. We needed 3 to tie at that point and LU had done the math.

So, the baseball pass was the right play, just no connection.

Overall, a great game and a "never say die" attitude by the Bison. We kept coming back again and again. Muscala was super and Kaspar also played a very good game. Even looked good on most of his FT's and hit 3 for 5.

Down by 1, we should have given the ball to the Moose and gotten out of the way. Let him take the last shot or get fouled. We were out of TO's and it showed there in the last 20 seconds.....

DP hss said this in interviews but I'll note it here: We need more quickness on the wings. Need a slasher. I'm hoping Singleton can be that X factor for next year and draw the D with his cuts to the hoop. Lehigh loses 3 seniors (Maneri, Adams, and Hamilton) but Knutson and CJ are back along with McKnight and Bailey.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-07-12 11:41 PM - Post#124924    
    In response to Doktore K

Better team won, plain and simple. LU took it to us, took us off our game. We could have played another 20 minutes and still never caught them. We had 9 or 10 chances to take the lead and never did. We always figured out a way not to get it done. Down 2 20 + seconds, wtf? Just get it to Muscala, and he has to get it done. He didn't.

BisonKid 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-26-06
03-07-12 11:48 PM - Post#124927    
    In response to bison63

LU was definitely the better team tonight but we had a chance to pull it off. I question why Paulson started following with 1.20 left in the game and a 5 point deficit--it was a 2 possession game and based on the follows it became a 3 possession game. Amazing that we still had a chance to win at the end because of the 2 trees by Johnson and the smart defensive play by Hill with the offensive foul. It also appeared that Paulson didn't make any offensive or defensive adjustments during the game other that the obvious full court pressure at the end.

Looking for to the NIT!

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-08-12 01:01 AM - Post#124939    
    In response to BisonKid

Really tough loss. Both teams played their hearts out, and unfortunately, Lehigh was one shot better. The Bison have nothing to be ashamed of. They played a great game and never gave up even when their backs were against the wall. To go from 7 points down with 40 seconds left (and fans leaving to beat the really terrible route 45 traffic?!?!) to having a shot to win it shows the team kept chugging.

Sojka was absolutely rocking in the second half. Outside of Villanova, I am not sure I have ever heard it louder.

On to the NIT.

SDQ 
Freshman

Reg: 12-07-09
03-08-12 02:50 AM - Post#124950    
    In response to BUFan

Lehigh established tone and tempo. Game was too fast for us. We had zero flow on offense. Players and coach totally lost poise.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-08-12 03:39 AM - Post#124954    
    In response to SDQ

Bucknell start was lethargic while Lehigh got off to a quick start. Strangely, the noisy crowd of over 4000 seemed to work against home team Bucknell, the players looking nervous and confused. The Lehigh players, who aren't used to such crowds, seemed to thrive on the packed arena environment.

Lehigh earned their victory. And Bucknell was not embarrassed, coming ever so close to winning it on a last possession with 26 seconds left.

Video here -

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMKwh0-_3Y - Bryson Johnson hits twice, late, for three points to make it close. This was one of them to make the score 78-77 in favor of Lehigh and 34 seconds left.

2. The final seconds when Bucknell had a clear chance to win the game by scoring. Bucknell comes upcourt with 26 seconds left. Your photographer, getting caught up in the action, misses part of the attempt to score by Cameron Ayers. McCollum comes away with the loose ball and goes downcourt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lngZCneJpzA

3. Post game press conference with Dave Paulsen and Bryson Johnson, Mike Muscala and Bryan Cohen, left to right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9C14hpG7s

Now there's "wait 'til next year" when these two teams will go at it again. Who will benefit most from the results of this season?

Edited by candyfan on 03-08-12 03:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mattie g 
Masters Student

03-08-12 09:06 AM - Post#124960    
    In response to candyfan

I'm still hurting after a loss that capped off a really bad day overall. I really could have used the pick-me-up of a win!

I honestly thought we were going to do it when Johnson hit the second three to pull within one. And after the FT misses, there's no doubt we should have given it to Muscala and got out of the way - there was no way Lehigh would have stopped him short of fouling. But not having a TO in that situation was a killer, and we didn't have experienced leadership on the ball to calm the play down and do what needed to be done. And that's not to blame anyone for what happened - just an observation.

bison63 
Postdoc

Re: Patriot Championship: Lehigh vs Bucknell
03-08-12 09:14 AM - Post#124961    
    In response to candyfan

• candyfan Said:
Bucknell start was lethargic while Lehigh got off to a quick start. Strangely, the noisy crowd of over 4000 seemed to work against home team Bucknell, the players looking nervous and confused. The Lehigh players, who aren't used to such crowds, seemed to thrive on the packed arena environment.

Lehigh earned their victory. And Bucknell was not embarrassed, coming ever so close to winning it on a last possession with 26 seconds left.

True, we were not embarrassed, but we were beaten. I have to imagine that if we somehow pulled it off at the end, LU and their fans would have gone home thinking that the better team last night did not win. I cannot imagine any BU fan who saw the game thinking that we were the better team last night.

BTW, Flannery used to comment about how the home crowd can get a team TOO amped up, and maybe we saw that last night. I'd be tempted to agree with that if this team was not plagued by slow starts from the start to the finish of this season. The slow start hurt in that we were always in a hole. Not that the hole was too deep to dig out from, but on this night we could not do it. LU would not let us.

Here is a tweet from HT confirming what I said in an earlier post, we had plenty of chances, we just did not get it done:

HoopTime Key stat from last night: On possessions where Bucknell had a chance to lead, Bison shot 0 for 9 and had a turnover

End of story!

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-08-12 09:39 AM - Post#124964    
    In response to bison63

Yes, it was a great environment for a basketball game. Loud and lots of energy...give the students some props for that. Other than the outcome, it was a lot of fun to be in Sojka for this game.

I think that overall Lehigh was the more confidant team. I could tell from their body language going out for the opening tip that Lehigh was very confidant and determined. Not that Bucknell was not confident, but I think they had more question in their minds.

I, too, thought Mike should have just tried to do what he could with that last possession to take the lead. He had a monster game and was our best option by far. He gave it a quick look but decided to pass it back out. Maybe he was thinking there was time to reset the play. Cam tried driving but just couldn't get around his defender and consequently did not go up as strong as he needed to with his shot. Hard to be too critical...it was a pressure moment and these are 19-20 yr old players.

As everyone knows, the Bison had many opportunities to tie and/or take the lead but never found a way to get it done. We didn't shoot as well as we needed to and Lehigh shot well...CJ hit some crazy shots, fallaways, hanging-in-the-air double-clutching jumpers.....showed why he is a special player. To his credit, he never appears flustered or nervous and confidence is not a problem for him. BC tried valiantly, but unfortunately, CJ was able to do his thing most of the evening. And Knutson played better than I have seen him play. He worked hard on the glass and hit a lot of shots, some easy, some under duress. Bucknell should have done a better job on him and I'm sure did not expect him to hang 23 on the board.

It is a major letdown, but Bucknell gave it a god shot and should hold their heads high. Hopefully they can regroup and grab a win or two in the NIT. Thanks for a great game, guys.

Edited by MrPhillie on 03-08-12 09:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

raymondbucknell 
Junior

Reg: 02-05-07
03-08-12 01:06 PM - Post#124997    
    In response to MrPhillie

the better team won last night. kudos to Lehigh.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-08-12 04:22 PM - Post#125037    
    In response to BUFan

• BUFan Said:
It is 8:50, and it looks like the tickets are sold out. Did anyone go on right at 8:30 to get a feel for how many more Lehigh returned?

Not an issue anymore, but sources indicate they returned about 500 more tickets. Ended up keeping perhaps 350.

LU06 
Freshman

Reg: 01-25-06
03-08-12 04:36 PM - Post#125038    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • BUFan Said:
It is 8:50, and it looks like the tickets are sold out. Did anyone go on right at 8:30 to get a feel for how many more Lehigh returned?

Not an issue anymore, but sources indicate they returned about 500 more tickets. Ended up keeping perhaps 350.

So I guess a little more than the 150-200 you 'knew' we could sell

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-08-12 04:48 PM - Post#125039    
    In response to LU06

Yes, a few more - but still a very poor turnout. I guessed 200. Actual total (not rounded) might be as high as 333. However that is the total of tickets not returned. At the time the tickets were returned, LU was still holding on to some unsold tickets. I don't know if they sold the rest on Wednesday morning.

Had it been held at Stabler, there would have been over 2000 Bucknell fans in attendance.

sader87 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-10
03-08-12 10:12 PM - Post#125074    
    In response to Bison137

Had HC made the PL final, there would have been about 100 HC fans at the game last night.

Good luck in the NIT...we won that tourney when it actually meant something in 1954.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-08-12 10:29 PM - Post#125077    
    In response to sader87

More recently, HC bounced back nicely from their 2005 PL final loss to upset Notre Dame in the NIT. There was some other small little upset 3 days later that overshadowed that game, but it was still a great win for the PL, and we can all hope the Bison bounce back like Holy Cross did!

mattie g 
Masters Student

03-09-12 09:37 AM - Post#125095    
    In response to sader87

• sader87 Said:
Had HC made the PL final, there would have been about 100 HC fans at the game last night.

Good luck in the NIT...we won that tourney when it actually meant something in 1954.

Good luck next year after your 15-14 season.

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.038 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:21 PM