Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Temple        (Topic#177)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
12-07-04 07:58 PM - Post#815    

Howard wrote a real good preview but in the end it probably comes down to shooting the ball decently. We'll get looks. So will they.

Anyway - we still haven't played a "competitive" game where we really needed to manage the offense and clock down the stretch. LaSalle was weird because we were still double digits but they had a zillion fouls to give before getting us to the line. This one is unpredictable but it wouldn't shock me if it's a tight, somewhat ugly Big 5 slugfest.

Importantly - we still haven't performed away from the Palestra. This is a good test - a quasi road trip. I believe Penn season ticket holders have this game in their package so we should be better represented than at normal road games.

Last game before exams, Christmas and a really long layoff so it's an important game for many reasons.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: Temple
12-07-04 08:13 PM - Post#816    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Rebounding and fouls from our big men could be equally important. Temple is going to miss alot of shots based on what I've seen/read of them this year. However, the more you give them, the more they'll make. We need to keep their two big guys off the boards and make them work in transition.

Pennsylvania69 
Junior

Loc: Chester County, PA
12-07-04 08:20 PM - Post#817    

Yes, we season ticketholders have these tickets in our package. And yes, I expect a typical Big 5 game -- that goes to the last minute and maybe the last shot.

Good point on our home vs. road record this year. This subway series should seem like home and the Penn fans -- Alums and Students need to make our team feel at home on Temple's campus.

I don't think that shooting over the zone can be our only weapon. One way to beat the Temple zone is by planting someone in the middle of the zone and drawing defenders with a quick kick pass inside as well as outside. Temple will be both big and physical. It will be interesting to watch Danley, Jan, Zoller, and Ryan banging inside.

The game is on CN8, so folks who can't make the game in person can watch along on the (very) small screen. The only other way to get the game will be via a feed from the UPenn athletics site as 1210 AM is covering the game and 1210 radio is no longer WCAU and no longer a 50,000 watt clear channel station.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
12-07-04 09:01 PM - Post#818    
    In response to Pennsylvania69

Quote:

One way to beat the Temple zone is by planting someone in the middle of the zone and drawing defenders with a quick kick pass inside as well as outside.

I have never seen them do this as well as they did on Saturday. Even Jan had assists. The zone would rotate and collapse and the big man would kick it quickly and get someone an open shot. It was beautiful to watch.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-07-04 09:04 PM - Post#819    

Seems like we get our shots against that Temple zone the last few years. There was a time (maybe back to Macon or McKie) when there were no shots no matter how well you moved the ball.

I agree defensive rebounding is a key, but they are a big and we won't be perfect here. On the other hand, if we follow HG's advice, I can see Danley, Zoller and Pettinella getting some back when we are on offense. We are not big, but we are pretty quick to the ball and seem to get our share of junk off of missed shots.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

12-07-04 09:07 PM - Post#820    

More than anything, we can't afford stupid fouls. We won't be able to get tipouts over their guys so much as grabbing garbage and getting around them. We can't afford to be shorthanded at any point down low.

palestra38 
Professor

12-07-04 09:09 PM - Post#821    

We should all be there....although when I pay the $25 per game ticket price, I expect something better than Section 203----they put us upstairs.

One correction though...although 1210 is no longer WCAU (It's WPHT now), it still is a 50,000 watt clear channel and can be heard "in the 38 states and Canada" at night as Steve Fredericks used to say in the day.

Pennsylvania69 
Junior

12-07-04 09:19 PM - Post#822    
    In response to palestra38

I'm in 203 as well. Temple picks the seats, just like Villanova does. Penn should do the same thing for the Big 5 games at the Palestra but has more class. At least we will be able to bring the Penn band to Temple.

I stand corrected about WPHT. I was told that they were no longer a clear channel station. And yes, you could hear 1210 in Europe when conditions were right. A welcome link with home.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: Temple - CN8
12-07-04 09:29 PM - Post#823    

When you blow those Internet webcasts up to full screen and sit up close to your computer it's like TV with less clarity. It's pretty decent, considering the device.

Anonymous 

12-07-04 11:33 PM - Post#824    

Is the CN8 feed behind the 1210 feed? How disorienting to watch what you've already heard?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: Temple - Good DP article
12-08-04 10:40 AM - Post#825    
    In response to

Very good info on transport. Penn is operating shuttle buses to Temple today. You have to call to make a reservation. You can go early (women play 1st as part of a doubleheader) or just for the mens game.

Article says Penn practiced at Temple because there won't be much of a pre game shoot around because of the earlier game.

One note on the game not in the article - Temple is huge - but they had some size last year as well. Because of the zone and the nature of missed long range shots we held a substantial rebounding advantage last year. Perhaps this was an anomaly but I would not necessarily assume we will get killed on the boards tonight.

Pennsylvania69 
Junior

Temple - An added bonus
12-08-04 12:32 PM - Post#826    

Temple will bring back members of the 1969 team for tonight's game.

TEMPLE TO HONOR ITS 1969 NIT CHAMPIONS AT PENN GAME

pennhoops 
Postdoc

Re: Temple - An added bonus
12-08-04 02:50 PM - Post#827    

Has anyone taken a look at Temple's nonconference schedule this season? Chaney's a mad genius. Auburn, Georgetown, S. Carolina, Arizona State, Nova, Penn, Princeton, Wake, Duke, Maryland, Alabama, UMass. Then the full A10 slate. Unreal. Take four of those teams and that could be a route to the Final Four.

RIH4life25 

12-08-04 03:40 PM - Post#828    

Asia, if I wanted to watch the game from CN8 where would I have to go to pick it up and if you watch the game do you also get play by play or is it just video feed.

Zelto35 

12-08-04 04:26 PM - Post#829    
    In response to RIH4life25

For anyone who can't get the game on TV, clicking on the following link will open Windows media player and bring you to their web cast (or copy and paste it into your browser)
http://ne.cn8.tv/shared/video/cn8NE-winmedia.asx

Enjoy the game all...

pennhoops 
Postdoc

12-08-04 04:28 PM - Post#830    
    In response to RIH4life25

Go to CN8, select Mid-Atlantic, and go to the "Watch It Live" link. You get the station's video feed. It's like watching a very poor TV on your computer.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: Temple - An added bonus
12-08-04 05:40 PM - Post#831    
    In response to pennhoops

This seems to be a typical schedule for him, which is pretty rough. With a team like he has this year, his chances at getting consideration for an at large bid take a huge hit with the number of non-conference losses they'll rack up.

And not that it really weakens the schedule, but UMass is A-10.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.175 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:19 PM