Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: women's game vs. Sacred Heart        (Topic#207)
The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
12-09-04 09:52 PM - Post#1050    

The team looked pretty good against a not-bad opponent. As was true in the Jay Butler years, they have a group of athletic, multi-talented players (five scored in double figures) and no glaring weaknesses. Megan Griffith looks quite comfortable at the point, and she and Susan Kern were deadly from the field (a combined 10-13, including 4-4 on three-pointers).

Adia Revell looked a little out of synch her first five minutes or so, putting up at least three airballs, but then she regained her bearings and made several nice moves down low. She also led the team with 10 rebounds. Nicole Lesko had a fairly quiet game, while Erin Jaschik, who started at center, showed a nice soft shooting touch and was strong on defense, including a thunderous block on Sacred Heart's opening possession that set the tone for the rest of the game.

Edytte Key did not play much, perhaps three stints of three or four minutes apiece, and when she did, she looked unsure of herself. With some more playing time, I'm sure she would do better, but it's the old chicken-egg thing. I'd like to see more of her, though, because she's the tallest player on the team--6-4, and according to the program Jaschik is next at 6-1.

The game was close for about the first 10 minutes, but then Kern hit two or three 3-pointers in close succession and Sacred Heart missed a couple badly. Realizing that Sacred Heart did not have much of a 3-point threat (they hit four on the game, but two were in the last minute), Columbia adjusted its defense accordingly and led 28-23 at halftime. Throughout the first half, they were good at making Sacred Heart use up most or all of the shot clock. In the second half Sacred Heart tried to run more, but Columbia led by 10-15 for most of the half. A late mini-run cut the lead to 7, but Sacred Heart had to keep fouling, and the final score was 69-59 Columbia. Their record now stands at 5-3.

I can't believe you're still reading this.

As I said, the Lions have a multi-dimensional offense and most of their players are good at several things. Sacred Heart's most effective weapon was to press and harass them on defense, which led to some turnovers, particularly in the second half. (Kerri Burke, their point guard, was particularly good at this, and was SHU's best player all around.) But Columbia was also pretty good at making them pay when they gambled too much. The flip side of all this is that the Lions don't have a single dominant go-to player.

I'd say they have the talent to beat any team in the league (like last year, when they beat Penn), especially when Susan Altman comes back next semester. Even if they use her off the bench, she'll add a driving, coast-to-coast, instant-offense threat, which is really the only thing they lack so far. I wouldn't pick them to win the championship, but based on this admittedly small amount of information, I will repeat my prediction that they will record Columbia's first-ever winning record this year.

P.S. One of Coach Waites's assistants is Tasha Pointer, the old Rutgers star. When there's a 30-second timeout, the players gather on the court around Waites and the other assistant, a man named Tory Verdi, while Pointer sits all by herself on the bench, as if she were guarding the towels so they won't get stolen. Does anyone know what that's about? I'm sure there's a reason, but it looks strange.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: women's game vs. Sacred Heart
12-10-04 01:03 PM - Post#1051    
    In response to The Lion King

Hey LK-

I didn't see the game. I just wanted to let you know that someone actually read your post. Not to get all touchy-feely or anything.

Anyways, I don't think that Sue came back for an extra semester and put her life on hold in order to come off the bench. Though she's a sweetheart, I am concerned about the effect her return will have on the team's chemistry. I think it is easy for the gals to give the ball to Sue and let her do her thing.

Anyways, you certainly have seen more of this team than I have, so I will defer to your judgement on this. You probably have seen more woman's basketball than most of the coached. After all, as the great master wrote:

The basketball sage
in the Levien bleachers
has room to spread out

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: women's game vs. Sacred Heart
12-10-04 02:31 PM - Post#1052    
    In response to light blue heavy

Gosh, lbh, you make me feel all warm inside. I love you, man . . .

Regarding Altman, Coach Waites has quite sensibly refrained from making any predictions about what her role will be. If this were some sort of simulation with dice or a computer, I suspect she would start Altman, but the human factors involved may complicate things.

There are six seniors on the team, all of whom probably expected to get major playing time this year, and then all of a sudden here's Altman popping up like Banquo's ghost. Someone who knows her well describes Sue as "happy-go-lucky" (despite her intensity on the court), so perhaps she will be fine with whatever turns up. I can imagine her as a Vinnie Johnson-type sixth man who is as important a part of the team as any starter, so that could be the best solution for all concerned. We'll see.

It seems to be Altman's fate to be a disruptive influence, unintentionally I assume. I know there was some grumbling when she started as a junior in her first year of eligibility after transferring. And yesterday's Spectator had an article by last year's women's basketball beat writer dumping on Coach Butler, partly for his handling of Altman:

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/12/09/41b7f465ca9bb?in_archive=1

Yes, I know Butler is long gone and we should focus on the present, but some things are hard to let go of so quickly. You should hear me on the subject of my ex-girlfriend . . .

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.117 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:53 AM