Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Beating Rutgers at the RAC        (Topic#22343)
AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
12-21-18 02:44 PM - Post#269661    

When's the last time Columbia defeated a Big 10 team in men's basketball competition? While I give time to Chet Forte, Tod and/or Internetter to answer that, my thought of the moment is that it could happen (again) tomorrow afternoon. That's when the Lions take on a so so shooting Rutgers team in Piscataway. If Columbia focuses a bit more intently on defensive rebounding and shoots a bit better than was the case in Newton, Massachusetts versus Boston College on the 12th, victory could be theirs. Gabe Stefanini, playing a big game in the Garden State that's adopted him as one of its own, WILL make a few more baskets than he did at BC. Finals are done; holiday cheer is in the air; so we'll be trying to pay attention to the kids on the court and not the coaches on the sideline; and go out to Jersey looking to get a win!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Re: Beating Rutgers at the RAC
12-22-18 02:25 PM - Post#269742    
    In response to AntiUngvar

Bibbs is doing a lot more than interviews today at Rutgers- great new beginning for him and the Lions at the RAC. Forget that KP nonsense and turn on the game, or drive out to Piscataway for the second half!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 02:34 PM - Post#269744    

Six minutes remaining in the first half: CU's outrebounded Rutgers,
13-11; outshot them 45 to 25%. Lions lead, 26-13. Throw out the KP, now!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Beating Rutgers at the RAC
12-22-18 03:05 PM - Post#269749    

CU's living up to the title of this thread, leading 31-21 at the half. Killingsworth, 4 three pointers/no misses. Nweke, a force on the boards with 8; as Columbia's gotten 19 rebounds to Rutgers 20. TaiBibbs has been his most engaged to date, contributing 2 baskets & 2 assists. Stefanini's run the team
efficiently, but appears a bit tight in his Jersey debut. Only mystery to me is Brumant, who's not come up with a single. rebound; but has found time and space to shoot three 3's, missing them all!

Edited by AntiUngvar on 12-22-18 03:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 03:36 PM - Post#269752    

With 7 minutes left in the game, Columbia now trails by one, 47-46. CU's lost focus on the boards, losing that major category this half, 13-6; and giving up 6 points to RU on 2nd chance baskets.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 03:47 PM - Post#269754    

CU's trying to hold off the Scarlet Knights; up 2 (50-48) with three minutes left, on the strength of a quick 3 and a 2 point basket by old reliable, QAdlesh.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 04:02 PM - Post#269756    

Going to overtime at the RAC, 54-54.
Columbia was outrebounded by nine in the second half. Fortunately for the Lions, Rutgers is 1 for 18 in shooting outside the arc, or this one would be over. Brumant's only contributed 2 boards; but his 2 made free throws with 30 seconds left tied, and are now sending the game to OT.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-22-18 04:22 PM - Post#269759    

Overall, I take some positives away from the game. Patrick Tape has really improved and IMHO is going to continue on his upward ark. Stefanini can play the point. Adlesh is great off the bench. Brumant and Nweke are both going to do good things, and Brumant was good off the boards. Negatives were our 3 point shooting: if we had hit our average instead of 27 % we would have won the game. And we need to do better work off the boards. We were a big undegdog, playing on the road after a long layoff, so all in all not too bad. I still think Bibbs and Ellis will continue to improve. And remeber, we are playing withour our most talented guy in Mike Smith.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-22-18 04:26 PM - Post#269760    
    In response to Chet Forte

Rutgers won in 1 OT, Adlesh 16, Stef ineffective, Tape played well with 4 fouls at the end.
west coast fan

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-22-18 04:28 PM - Post#269761    

Better-a loss by 3 with tougher defense instead of the predicted 13 by KP. Tape is coming on, but Stefannini has some trouble with ball handling under pressure.

We are 5th or 6th place IL team, up from the dire last place predictions at the beginning of the season.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-22-18 05:07 PM - Post#269768    

Columbia played very well against Rutgers for the first half of the game, shooting wonderfully from the outside, against a much taller and more athletic Rutgers team. The Lions also fought gallantly for most of the second half, but couldn't stop Rutgers from taking over the offensive boards and eventually winning the game in overtime.. Also, the Scarlet Knights exposed the Lions ball handling problems without Mike Smith as Columbia simply does not have anyone else who can dribble the ball up court against pressure. Stef has issues, Davis has issues, etc. Don't we have a Division I quality ballhandler on our guard filled roster? Still, the LIons made a game of it, and took a big, athletic team to overtime, which was better than anyone could reasonably have expected. Congrats to our man, AntiU, for almost picking the long shot Derby winner. Certainly, the players are making progress, so maybe the Lions will be competitive after all in the Ivy League. Incidentally, someone has to do the following: (1) Tell Adlesh who is great outside shooter, except from the side of the court, to avoid shooting threes from the side; (2) Teach the players to set up an occasional screen for Adlesh and Killingsworth; (3) Teach Brumant to operate very close to the basket and avoid the temptation of shooting threes from the outside. My opinion is Brumant is a very talented player who needs to score in double digits for us..

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 05:10 PM - Post#269770    
    In response to cc66

KP aside Columbia's still gotta play the remaining 16 games; and could very well finish better than 6th in the Ivies (or worse, of course). Fortunately, there's still reason for cautious optimism after today. This was a pressure packed game for Stefanini in New Jersey where he lived for a year while attending Bergen Catholic. However, he shot poorly (2/11), and for the second game in a row (5/24, including the Boston College game), too. Still, Stef was reasonably efficient running the team-while he committed 5 turnovers; Gabe also came up with 8 assists, and was effective with Patrick on pick and rolls late in the game.
To me, today's game came down to the 18 offensive rebounds that Columbia permitted Rutgers to secure, (EIGHTEEN) leading to too many Scarlet Knight putbacks and dunks. Despite what Chet wrote above, Brumant was TERRIBLE on the boards, securing only 3 during the entire game; and otherwise fouling out out of the contest, but not before taking four 3-pointers, only to miss all four of them! Ike Nweke came up with 8 rebounds before halftime; but failed to come up with even one more reb. during the last 25 minutes of the game- not good, and makes me believe some effort was inexplicably lacking. Brumant has an opportunity here that would have never come his way so soon were Lukas Meisner and Jaron Faulds still present on the team; he'd better get with it and BOARD against Northwestern if Columbia is to have any chance to compete against, probably, the best team they'll see this entire season, in Evanston next week!

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

Reg: 03-17-14
12-22-18 05:42 PM - Post#269789    

I have seen this movie before.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 05:50 PM - Post#269801    
    In response to Tod Howard Hawks

Thanks, Tod. And you saw 18 offensive rebounds given away today; over and over again! Even I miss Mike Smith; but he's gone for the season, and we have little choice but to accept this as fact.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-22-18 05:58 PM - Post#269808    

I'm in pain after that one. Great start, then it dripped away, then thought we had them down the stretch. Agree that the Rutgers offensive rebounds were the killer.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-22-18 06:04 PM - Post#269816    

Again, first game after a lay-off and exams (I doubt the scholar athletes at Rutgers have the same academic burden), on the road, and against a Big 10 team. And we were one stop and basket from winning! I have seen steady improvement over the last six games and really have no issue with the game management by Engles. I think we have the horses to play competitively with every team in the league if we continue to work hard and play smart.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
Beating Rutgers at the RAC
12-22-18 07:02 PM - Post#269888    

Another very highly rated high school basketball player just committed to the Columbia Women's Basketball Team -- that's the fourth incoming freshman basketball player with a 3 star or better rating. All that is in addition to the center transfer from Seattle who was Rookie of the Year in the WAC Conference. I wonder how recruiting for the Columbia Men's Basketball Team is going. I know we have three committed recruits + the center transfer from Portland. From what I can tell we have no three star or better commits. I hope we are vigorously recruiting some impact players. Does anyone know the status?

Edited by Columbia 37P6 on 12-22-18 07:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 07:57 PM - Post#269908    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

If anything were happening you'd have surely heard about it- the administration doesn't miss too many opportunities to take credit for any small bit of good news- whether they deserve the credit or not. But there I go again; spreading holiday cheer; any moment now I'll be hearing from the Vainglorious one!

AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

12-22-18 08:45 PM - Post#269911    

Final thoughts:
I'm biased toward Italians, but does Stefanini really need to take on all of Mike Smith's minutes? If that's so, you know the end result won't be
in the kid's best interests. Stefanini played 38 minutes today, and would have played 1 more had he not fouled out. He wasn't shooting very well, and was turnover-prone in a couple of big spots; but I do think his workload was inappropriate. Why not take a chance on C.J.David for more than six minutes? Peter Barba can be a steadying influence for more than 45 seconds per day; Bibbs can certainly handle the ball a bit more; and what about this kid Milstein- did they simply bring him here to kick an occasional field goal or something?
We've gotten a bit away from discussing good soldier Rodney Hunter. Complaints have been clearly registered; but today, in typically understated fashion, Rodney came up with 4 rebounds, and they mattered. And so if Mr. Hunter can be of regular help in such an area of team need and weakness, he's certainly worthy of some acknowledgment from me.

To you and yours: Merry Christmas, everyone!

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-23-18 01:44 PM - Post#269973    

Great holiday to all. Always makes me think of Main Street in my beloved Hackensack all bedecked in holiday cheer.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.13 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:06 AM