Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Matteus Case        (Topic#24291)
besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
04-23-20 02:39 PM - Post#306561    

Committed to Penn, per twitter.

Here are two highlight films:

https://twitter.com/NorthernKingsCA/statu s/1243293...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12202500/5e44 2ce0bd75...

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
04-23-20 02:59 PM - Post#306569    
    In response to besnoah

Congrats and welcome to the squad!

Buckeye Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Matteus Case
04-23-20 03:56 PM - Post#306574    
    In response to besnoah

Nice!

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
04-23-20 04:54 PM - Post#306577    
    In response to Buckeye Quake

Excellent news! Now let's hope we have a season!

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
Matteus Case
04-24-20 12:48 AM - Post#306586    
    In response to SteveChop

So here's my development plan for Case. Keep in mind that I never played organized basketball (does JV team count?), and am a Knicks fan at heart (questionable judgment). I am a true Quaker fan, however, and that gives me license to spout baseless opinions on this board!

Case seems to be a bit of a tweener. He is a good athlete, although not freakishly explosive. His shot looks good on video, but he doesn't look like a pure shooter. His videos don't show any defensive sequences, so I have no idea. His handle looks good but not ready to dominate with possession.

Players that come to mind who have succeeded with that toolset: Rob Belcore, and Barry Pierce. What both of them had in common were intangibles and good defense. Belcore became a decent usage player because he flat out worked harder than the other people on the floor. Pierce had a competitive fire and toughness that belied his size. If I were Case, I would run Eric Spoelstra's loose ball drill (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/290230 69/the-luke-walton-all-st ars-nine-surprising-playe rs-nba-season) and I would pick everyone's brain on how to be a lockdown defender and rebounder and really set screens well. I would learn to protect the ball, not through ball handling wizardry, but by improved decision-making. You don't need to make the tough passes - just make good ones or else swing to someone else quickly. While most players will spend a lot of their development time on offense, I'd stick with a narrow variety of plays/shots he can make consistently that still fits into Donahue's offense. Otherwise, the history of Penn and college basketball is littered with very good tweener HS players who didn't adapt themselves to the college game.

Eddie Scott is a current player finding his way through that. I feel that he has a lot to offer but he has had ups and downs as a Quaker.

Happy to have Matteus on board as a Quaker!

Edited by Penndemonium on 04-24-20 12:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

04-24-20 12:57 PM - Post#306616    
    In response to Penndemonium

Doesn’t remind me of Belcore or Pierce but that’s a very nice highlight video.

Looks like a Tyler Hamilton type that hopefully can contribute earlier than Tyler. At any rate, short of us adding a post player, this is a very welcomed addition.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-24-20 03:03 PM - Post#306627    
    In response to Penndemonium

I guess Case doesn’t look like a tweener to me offensively — his game seems like a pretty pure 2 guard. The other guys you mention all are/were too small to play the position they played in high school as a college player. At least that is how I define tweener. I also don’t see the problem for Case to fit into Donahue’s offense. The couple of mid range floaters will come out, but otherwise it seems like an easy fit shooting 3s and getting to the basket if/when he can. Since i’m Kind of old fashioned in what I value, I preferred the first Tape with no dunks — I liked the various adjustments to finish around the basket.

One tweener who didn’t really put it together for Penn, since you got me thinking about it, was Duane King. Played center in high school, if i remember correctly, but was a thin 6’4. It may be meaningful that Belcore, Pierce, and Scott all in the end kind of played up a position despite being undersized. May be easier than teaching a kid a whole new position.

Zoller might fit here too. My memory is that he was viewed by the services as a 6’5 small forward, and the fact he was an interior player in high school may have reduced recruiting interest. He went right on playing the interior. Grandieri was an even more extreme case.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
04-24-20 04:20 PM - Post#306630    
    In response to SomeGuy

Foreman and Woods also played much, much bigger than their listed heights. At times we had Woods guarding players 4-6 inches taller than him.

Edited by penn nation on 04-24-20 04:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
04-24-20 05:31 PM - Post#306638    
    In response to penn nation

I expect Dingle will also be able to guard bigger players much as woods did.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-24-20 06:46 PM - Post#306642    
    In response to penn nation

Foreman was a tweener, though he was a 2 guard in a PG body.

Yes, Woods could reasonably guard the 1-4 positions. Another tweener who played up was Matt Howard.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Matteus Case
04-25-20 08:59 PM - Post#306655    
    In response to Streamers

Great stuff and welcome! Clearly coaching staff wanted him, and looks like he has some interesting tools, so glad Matteus chose Penn.

Curtesy of Google, found a few other details:

- You can actually see his last 2 years of high school stats here: https://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/baske...

- Senior year, less points and lower 3 point shooting %, but more assists than I expected. He was at 10.1ppg, 52% on 2s, 34% on 3s, 76% on FTs with 3.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game.

- Worth noting his PPG actually came down from 12.7ppg as a junior to 10.1ppg as a senior, but his high school team is stacked. 5 players scored 9.8ppg or more: 2 other seniors (one to Kansas State leads in scoring, one going I think D2 is just behind Case in scoring) and 2 ranked sophs (3* PG on Rivals and Top 100 C on Rivals and 247).

- Played for Northern Kings AAU team out of Canada on the Under Armour Rise Circuit. That's not the top level of AAU for UA, but still has good players, and their team won championship last year. Case was second leading scorer at 12.75ppg shooting 59% on 2s, 38% on 3s, and 68% FTs with 3.25 rebounds per game and 2 assists per game.

- Can see these AAU stats here: http://www.theuaassociation.com/teamstats.aspx?pat... and worth noting that the leading scorer on his team is going to DePaul.

- Canadian basketball recruiting site North Pole Hoops has him ranked as 27th best Canadian prospect: http://northpolehoops.com/players/matteus-case/ . I have no idea for context here as it seems like a paid recruiting service.

- Lastly he played for Canada on U16 Americas Championship Silver winning team. Came off bench and didn't play much, but still notable.

Be curious to see how he translates to D1 college ball, looks like he has the tools, so fingers crossed he develops into a contributor.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.148 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:36 AM